Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Question for DDM4 Owners (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/question-ddm4-owners-92477/)

mudpupp 06-18-2013 02:35 PM

I have a couple of AR's from a DPMS to my new DDM4 V3.

When I clean the bolt Carrier of the cheaper ones I get a smooth wet look afterwards.

On the Daniel Defense Bolt carrier I can soak it in oil but the second I wipe it down, it gets a dry almost rough exterior.

Do you experience this?

I know it's clean, and I have tried CLP, frog lube, gun oil, and even mobile 1.

It doesn't effect the performance even though I live in a dry desert environment.

Is this normal for a DDM4?

purehavoc 06-18-2013 03:02 PM

I have a few BCGs like that, I can slather them in oil and next day they look dry . Run it til it quits and add more lube . Its just the coating some of them the black phosphate seems thicker the thinner ones appear shiny

mudpupp 06-18-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
I have a few BCGs like that, I can slather them in oil and next day they look dry . Run it til it quits and add more lube . Its just the coating some of them the black phosphate seems thicker the thinner ones appear shiny

Cool...

I am running it through a 4 day Tactical class this weekend.

Guess I will see what happens after a few hundred rounds in the hot desert sun

Thank you for your response

Quentin 06-18-2013 09:08 PM

I got a DDM4V3 upper in 2010. Its bolt carrier is very smooth and stays shiny. It's the old unmarked carrier, the new ones have the double D logo. Anyway, my experience is similar to Purehavoc's. Some finishes are coarser than others and retain oil differently.

purehavoc 06-18-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpupp (Post 1279828)
Cool...

I am running it through a 4 day Tactical class this weekend.

Guess I will see what happens after a few hundred rounds in the hot desert sun

Thank you for your response

I might make a suggestion , I know there are lots of claims out there about this lube and that lube but if your seriously going to do a 4 day course go buy a bottle of Mobile 1 synthetic, I prefer the 5-30 wt . Dont grab some other synthetic off the shelf make sure its Mobil 1 . Keep it lubed up real good and you wont have any problems . 4 day course is alot of rounds . I ran 7000-8000+ rds thru one of my ARs , uncleaned during that time, just lubed generously every outing and had no issues in that many rounds.
Have fun and play safe

mudpupp 06-19-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc

I might make a suggestion , I know there are lots of claims out there about this lube and that lube but if your seriously going to do a 4 day course go buy a bottle of Mobile 1 synthetic, I prefer the 5-30 wt . Dont grab some other synthetic off the shelf make sure its Mobil 1 . Keep it lubed up real good and you wont have any problems . 4 day course is alot of rounds . I ran 7000-8000+ rds thru one of my ARs , uncleaned during that time, just lubed generously every outing and had no issues in that many rounds.
Have fun and play safe

Like my OP said, mobile 1was one of the things I tried. I still have 3/4 of a bottle, so I am ready to rock.

Thanks for all the input. Course starts tomorrow morning (8 hours from now)