Question for builders - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question for builders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6530 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 6162

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific.

Budget in the 1,000-1100 range. Looking primarily for a SHTF/SD/battle rifle (therefore the chrome) but want reasonable accuracy. Don't need the accuracy of a pure match rifle, but want good combat accuracy.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Colt. But I want to spend some more time re-reading your responses, and studying. Thank you all very much, BTW!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #12

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific.

Budget in the 1,000-1100 range. Looking primarily for a SHTF/SD/battle rifle (therefore the chrome) but want reasonable accuracy. Don't need the accuracy of a pure match rifle, but want good combat accuracy.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Colt. But I want to spend some more time re-reading your responses, and studying. Thank you all very much, BTW!
There's a couple good stickies up top, Locutus, that will guide you a long way on the journey, as well as recommendations. Somewhere within this subforum I have a build thread detailing my rifle build, and I went with BCM for the upper and a PSA Lower and LPK, and it eats brass and steel equally and what I point it at stays hit.
In a SHTF scenario? I won't hesitate to make it my go to firearm, and, running irons, you can build the entire thing for about 850/900, with a grand or two left over for ammo.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Buy 1 first.. then if u are infected with AR uncured disease, then start building. As i believe majority users here have more than 1 AR15.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For you intended us and purpose, I don't think you can go wrong with a BCM DD or Colt. Right out of the box. Nothing fancy needed. Headshots with m193 at 200 yards if you do your part. M855 is a little dicey, its not as consistent!

Add a sling, mags and ammo and you are good to go.

You may find that with a non free floated handguard your POI may shift using a rest or sling. But a Free Floated guard/rail can always be added later should you desire.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

rra or bcm. rra barrels are extremely accurate even the chromed ones are from wilson. rra makes their parts and guns to tighter than milspec tolerances but some of their parts souring is unknown so while they are dimensionally correct no one knows the material specs. this makes them very accurate a half step behind in accuracy are the milspec colts and bcm. everyone else is after that.

if you want a colt but not the colt price but a much wider selection of options than colt offers bcm is it. the ONLY reason i didnt go colt is the dont offer a midlength light weight chrome lined upper

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would own a Colt if they offered a mid length.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

S&W. M&P 15, with an EOTech XPS, or an Aimpoint T1.

I went with a C-more ATAC, but there are long term concerns I have with my use of the rifle.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6530 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 6162

I think I've decided on Colt.

Research really threw a monkey wrench into my planning process.

I had planned on spending $1000 to $1100 on a new rifle. Unfortunately, the one I finally settled on is a little north of $2000.

I guess I'll have to postpone buying it for a while until I can gather the shekels.

But what a Rifle! The Colt LE 901-16s. Comes standard in 7.62X51 NATO, with free floated barrel, flip up BUIS and other goodies. But ]most important, it will accept any Colt 5.56X45 upper. One lower, and uppers in both calibers!

Even if I have to wait until next year to get it, I think it will be worth waiting for.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #19

Budget is the first thing you need to talk about, and to those that say bolt action is the most accurate, it is true that bolt actions are very accurate rifles. However, a lot of military and police sharpshooters are starting to switch to the AR platform. Most notably the Knight's Armament M110 or SR-25. These are very accurate and extremely reliable. I have personally seen both of these hit at 1,000 consistently. If you want to build then you need to know what you are willing to spend. You can get a cheap gun that is good for without building or you can build a cheap gun that is good. You could also spend the money and get an excellent rifle, but you will pay for it. Good luck and I will be happy to discuss more on the subject.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I assure which route you go.. build or buy, definitely there will be another AR.