Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Question for builders (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/question-builders-64055/)

locutus 05-08-2012 03:42 PM

Question for builders

Okay youse gize that build your own.

What parts would you use to build your own AR-15 to these specs:

Flat top with flip up BUIS

M-4 copy

Capable of head shots at 200 meters every shot.

As near as humanly possible to absolute reliability

Chromed barrel and chamber

Direct gas system.

Second question:

After it was built, would it be any less expensive, or better quality than a factory Colt.

I've never built one, but it seems like an interesting project if the results will actually give me something better.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.:)

canebrake 05-08-2012 04:19 PM

If you build one, yes.

If you assemble one, not so much.

If you want a Colt, buy one.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v.../1MyLE6940.jpg

My LE 6940

BenLuby 05-08-2012 04:28 PM

Really depends on what budget you're wanting to do it with. And Cane is right. If you just buy a built lower and upper and attach them, it's not going to be nearly as accurate as one you can build, unless you're dropping money on Noveske, Daniel Defense or BCM.
Personally, if you want a tack driver? I'd drop the chrome lined. They are accurate, don't get me wrong, but it's not as accurate as a non-chrome barrel due to the fact that current technology cannot apply a perfectly level and even coating of chrome. You can still make tight shots at the ranges you want, but to get competition quality accuracy? You drop chrome.
You have a lot of things you need to consider in this, including your trigger assembly, barrel length, twist rate and other items as well.
But first? Budget. That answers a lot of questions, then you don't get recommendations that are outside your price range.

MikeJK 05-08-2012 04:37 PM

Skip the ASSEMBLING and purchase a BCM or Daniel Defense 16" barreled midlength.

purehavoc 05-08-2012 05:15 PM

I will probably get rolled for this but oh well .
If you want a precision gun go with a bolt gun , ARs are made for battle and they have a special purpose as does any gun , they are made to hit the BG at the distance your asking very accuratly , they arent precision shooting rifles unless thats what your intending to build which is possible with the right amount of money , a bolt gun from a reputable manuf will almost always be more accurate. If your thinking precision 1" groups at 200 M with irons its possible but not for the average person , you wanna get tighter groups I would look at magnified optics.

Im a little confused at this
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 793972)
Really depends on what budget you're wanting to do it with. And Cane is right. If you just buy a built lower and upper and attach them, it's not going to be nearly as accurate as one you can build, unless you're dropping money on Noveske, Daniel Defense or BCM. .

Plenty of other manufacturers uppers that are more or as accurate as the above. What makes the underlined more accurate than any others out there ? Not trying to pick arguement I just dont feel thats a 100% true statement

BenLuby 05-08-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 794022)
I will probably get rolled for this but oh well .
If you want a precision gun go with a bolt gun , ARs are made for battle and they have a special purpose as does any gun , they are made to hit the BG at the distance your asking very accuratly , they arent precision shooting rifles unless thats what your intending to build which is possible with the right amount of money , a bolt gun from a reputable manuf will almost always be more accurate. If your thinking precision 1" groups at 200 M with irons its possible but not for the average person , you wanna get tighter groups I would look at magnified optics.

Im a little confused at this

Plenty of other manufacturers uppers that are more or as accurate as the above. What makes the underlined more accurate than any others out there ? Not trying to pick arguement I just dont feel thats a 100% true statement

No insult. Valid question in my opinion. I didn't list every single one, just some of the top tiers that have the solid reputations that we all look for. For accuracy, I'd have to include RR as well, although I haven't shot one, just based off comments. I'm sure others will come in with their recommendations, so please, feel free to expand.

MikeJK 05-08-2012 05:26 PM

Repeatable accuracy, build quality and parts quality. DD and BCM are very accurate which is impressive being as they are not manufactured to fill the bench rest role. Noveske is also know for their accuracy. I imagine when you get into the low production companies accuracy is higher but then so is price. I really don't know as I have no need for a messaged bench gun.

purehavoc 05-08-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 794026)
No insult. Valid question in my opinion. I didn't list every single one, just some of the top tiers that have the solid reputations that we all look for. For accuracy, I'd have to include RR as well, although I haven't shot one, just based off comments. I'm sure others will come in with their recommendations, so please, feel free to expand.

No problem , Lots of great stuff out there , getting it right now seems to be the hard part . My buddy has had a complete lower for a long time and never had the $$$ to build it , when he finally got the $$$ recently he was also amazed that everyone is out of alot of stuff so he settled on a R Guns upper because he wanted a stainless bull barrel and they were one of only 3 he could find in stock at the time and all about the same quality except his is 1:8 instead of the 1:9 fromthe other manuf . he has no regrets , has around 400 down the pipe and that thing is a absolute tack driver , I would have never guessed that coming from the manufacturer it did but I was impressed , Now it is a bench rifle because it is a pig . I weighed the bare upper ,no scope or rings and it maxed out and errored my 7.5# postage scale without the bolt in it . I wouldnt want to carry that old girl around because she is a fatty but she sure shoots good. Im trying to find a used 20" colt upper w/ fixed carry handle for a A2 build for my dad for his BDay and those arent easy to get either . I will be glad when O gets elected out and some of the pressure comes off the gun stuff , its getting rediculous trying to get specific parts cheaply and ammo seems to be short and getting more expensive all the time

AgentTikki 05-08-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 793943)
Okay youse gize that build your own.

What parts would you use to build your own AR-15 to these specs:

Flat top with flip up BUIS

M-4 copy

Capable of head shots at 200 meters every shot.

As near as humanly possible to absolute reliability

Chromed barrel and chamber

Direct gas system.

Second question:

After it was built, would it be any less expensive, or better quality than a factory Colt.

I've never built one, but it seems like an interesting project if the results will actually give me something better.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.:)

ARs are pretty amazingly accurate out of the box, hitting headshots at 200 yards is easy for the rifle to do. I think even an AK should be capable of doing that, given the right optic. We are talking about 2 moa or 3 moa accuracy right? 4x4" or 6x6" groups at 200 yards?

I'd be willing to say that any decent quality barrel, with a good shooter, with consistent quality factory ammo, with decent glass should be able to face shoot out to even 300 yards.

If you want to take someone's eye out at 200 yards, that is another story....

I do agree with MJ. The upper is a bit for technically difficult to make than the lower to put together. I vote that you should start out with a stripped lower, a lower build kit or parts kit and build that your self. I can probably do a whole lower in about 30 mins taking my time, but I've done a few.

While your waiting for you parts to arrive, start looking at uppers, or start ordering tools that you'll need for the upper.

There are soo many choices out there, just pick a few that you like and let us know!

Quentin 05-08-2012 06:19 PM

Well the Colt certainly is an excellent choice given your specs, locutus. If you want to customize a little, say add a LW midlength barrel, etc. then going with BCM or Daniel Defense makes sense but there are other choices. As far as whether you'll get a better rifle and save money that really depends on what you choose. A BCM can be put together for about the same as a factory Colt. If you go with PSA you'll definitely save money but may drop in quality/reliability but that's not easy to predict.

I have a BCM upper that's scheduled to be delivered today that came in for about $600 with BCG, charging handle and MOE handguards. The complete build will come in around $950 including a MBUS Gen 2 rear sight. The quality should be about the same as Colt but I wanted the LW middy barrel instead of Colt's carbine length LW. So it really comes down to either one is a great choice, it really depends on you.

I will say it's a lot of fun pouring through the specs and putting together the rifle YOU want.