Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question on AR steel mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question on AR steel mag

I bought some 30 rd steel mags from Mako last month and they recently arrived. They look great but I have an issue. It can be easily plugged in and holds firmly, however if I load some cartridges in say 20 rounds, it becomes difficult to get plugged in firmly unless I slam it in really hard. Why and how to fix it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulux View Post
I bought some 30 rd steel mags from Mako last month and they recently arrived. They look great but I have an issue. It can be easily plugged in and holds firmly, however if I load some cartridges in say 20 rounds, it becomes difficult to get plugged in firmly unless I slam it in really hard. Why and how to fix it?
Not sure what your exact issue is...are you saying the mag doesn't engage the latch properly and drops out or that the mag is difficult to manage due to the weight?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Are you inserting the mag with the bolt carrier group locked into the barrel extension? If so, just lock the bolt carrier open and try it. It should work fine. The steel mags are generally HK made or British SA-80 mags. They should be fine.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Not sure what your exact issue is...are you saying the mag doesn't engage the latch properly and drops out or that the mag is difficult to manage due to the weight?
It engages the latch properly when it is empty or lightly loaded. However if the mag is loaded heavily say 20 or more rounds it becomes very difficult to engage the latch....

Any insights are appreciated.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Welcome to the forum!

Reread post 3

The new mags, are not sloppy yet. They will loosen up a bit over time.

Putting a full mag in the rifle, when the bolt is closed, pushes down on the ammo. As the mag is full, this places a bind on things. If you have the bolt in the open position, then the ammo goes up into the rifle without pressing on the bolt.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #6

Liked 914 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Some cheap magazines swell when fully loaded and stick in the magwell. I wouldn't expect that of a good steel mag though. Or any good mag period.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Sounds to me like the springs are just new. Insertiong a loaded mag with the bolt closed the top round bounces off the bolt. So you have to insert it harder. Or keep the bolt open while loading the new loaded mag.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your advice. AR10 and robocop are right that when the bolt is closed it puts a bind on the mag, therefore making the mag inverting more difficult. Next time when I first insert the mag I will just lock the bolt open and that will work.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are some similar threads on other Forums. Loading the mag to full capacity and letting it sit for a week or two should make the spring relax a little bit.

If necessary, you can very lightly and carefully file on the mag catch portion of the mag to make it easier to lock in.

Last edited by 1911Jeeper; 02-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.