Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Question on AR steel mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/question-ar-steel-mag-82934/)

emulux 01-31-2013 03:03 AM

Question on AR steel mag

I bought some 30 rd steel mags from Mako last month and they recently arrived. They look great but I have an issue. It can be easily plugged in and holds firmly, however if I load some cartridges in say 20 rounds, it becomes difficult to get plugged in firmly unless I slam it in really hard. Why and how to fix it?

Jpyle 01-31-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulux (Post 1117325)
I bought some 30 rd steel mags from Mako last month and they recently arrived. They look great but I have an issue. It can be easily plugged in and holds firmly, however if I load some cartridges in say 20 rounds, it becomes difficult to get plugged in firmly unless I slam it in really hard. Why and how to fix it?

Not sure what your exact issue is...are you saying the mag doesn't engage the latch properly and drops out or that the mag is difficult to manage due to the weight?

robocop10mm 01-31-2013 03:53 AM

Are you inserting the mag with the bolt carrier group locked into the barrel extension? If so, just lock the bolt carrier open and try it. It should work fine. The steel mags are generally HK made or British SA-80 mags. They should be fine.

emulux 01-31-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

Not sure what your exact issue is...are you saying the mag doesn't engage the latch properly and drops out or that the mag is difficult to manage due to the weight?

It engages the latch properly when it is empty or lightly loaded. However if the mag is loaded heavily say 20 or more rounds it becomes very difficult to engage the latch....

Any insights are appreciated.

AR10 01-31-2013 04:08 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Reread post 3

The new mags, are not sloppy yet. They will loosen up a bit over time.

Putting a full mag in the rifle, when the bolt is closed, pushes down on the ammo. As the mag is full, this places a bind on things. If you have the bolt in the open position, then the ammo goes up into the rifle without pressing on the bolt.

Quentin 01-31-2013 07:03 AM

Some cheap magazines swell when fully loaded and stick in the magwell. I wouldn't expect that of a good steel mag though. Or any good mag period.

DrumJunkie 01-31-2013 10:14 AM

Sounds to me like the springs are just new. Insertiong a loaded mag with the bolt closed the top round bounces off the bolt. So you have to insert it harder. Or keep the bolt open while loading the new loaded mag.

emulux 02-01-2013 04:27 AM

Thanks to all for your advice. AR10 and robocop are right that when the bolt is closed it puts a bind on the mag, therefore making the mag inverting more difficult. Next time when I first insert the mag I will just lock the bolt open and that will work.

1911Jeeper 02-02-2013 12:08 AM

There are some similar threads on other Forums. Loading the mag to full capacity and letting it sit for a week or two should make the spring relax a little bit.

If necessary, you can very lightly and carefully file on the mag catch portion of the mag to make it easier to lock in.