Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about a SIG AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Question about a SIG AR

My gfs dad has a sig AR that is very different from the standard ARs. It does not have a charging handle but has a bolt slide on the side of the rifle. It does look pretty cool and is fun to shoot but is very heavy. IS it truly an AR? I just don't think it would be much fun because its not compatable with the wide variety of parts and upgrades we can do with a standard AR. I expect they would be more complicated to build and harder to clean as well. What's with these?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 1960 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Probably a Sig 556. Not an AR, it takes AR mags. Actually closer to an AK in design. They are a heavy, piston driven gun. Good guns though.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The SIG 556 are more of an AK design, very reliable but not known for their accuracy. The ejected brass will wear the paint off around the ejection port if it is not protected. Many users put velcro around the back of the ejection port to stop the wear.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you could post some pics, then I would probably be able to answer if it's an AR or not.