Question about a scope choice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about a scope choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Question about a scope choice

I am looking to mount a red dot scope and magnifier on my Bushmaster AR15. I really like these and they are in my price range

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_Red_Dot_Magnifier_GEN_III_p/pa3xgeniii.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_MultiReticle_Red_Dot_Sight_PAM3M_p/pam3m.htm

The problem is I would rather not replace my existing stock iron sights if I don't have too. Is there a way to mount these where I can still use my irons sights or will that front sight just be too high and or field of view be blocked by the scope mounts. The mounts would have to be angled as I don't have a floating rail. If I was to add a rail to the carry handle and mount the scope there how would that work out?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Anytime I hear someone talk about mounting a red dot on a less expensive AR, Vortex Strikefire comes to mind. It's a pretty great red dot/green dot...basically an Aimpoint ripoff (similar design/features), for $150, ready to mount with a battery and 2X maginifer included. Honestly, this is the ticket for most folks in your shoes IMO. I have two mounted on $1200-1500 ARs and love them.

I've at times flirted with the idea of ordering the Primary Arms 3X sight but don't have any actual experience with them. I've heard they're solid, which is why I continue to consider adding one. At some point this will probably result in more tangible personal evidence.

I really don't think you'll lose with either Vortex or PA. It's just a matter of which best addresses your personal demands. Some will tell you that $300-500 must be spent for an optic you're going to depend on for 'serious business'. They probably have sound reasons for such statements...but I'd feel absolutely confident depending on my Vortex Strikefires 8 days a week, 53 weeks a year. And I do own some of the higher end optics for comparison's sake.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Anytime I hear someone talk about mounting a red dot on a less expensive AR, Vortex Strikefire comes to mind. It's a pretty great red dot/green dot...basically an Aimpoint ripoff (similar design/features), for $150, ready to mount with a battery and 2X maginifer included. Honestly, this is the ticket for most folks in your shoes IMO. I have two mounted on $1200-1500 ARs and love them.

I've at times flirted with the idea of ordering the Primary Arms 3X sight but don't have any actual experience with them. I've heard they're solid, which is why I continue to consider adding one. At some point this will probably result in more tangible personal evidence.

I really don't think you'll lose with either Vortex or PA. It's just a matter of which best addresses your personal demands. Some will tell you that $300-500 must be spent for an optic you're going to depend on for 'serious business'. They probably have sound reasons for such statements...but I'd feel absolutely confident depending on my Vortex Strikefires 8 days a week, 53 weeks a year. And I do own some of the higher end optics for comparison's sake.
Any ideas around the iron sights? Also if the underlined was supposed to be a link it didn't work. Do you have a link? Thanks for the prompt response.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Any ideas around the iron sights?
Anytime I build for me, I generally prefer a fixed front sight post/gas block with a $50 Magpul flip rear MBUS.

I've paid more for trendier options. And it's my opinion that I paid more for less functional products in every case. The one caveat would be if you wanted a low-pro gas block with a flip front sight...in which case I'd also advise you buy Magpul.

I believe you can find front&rear Magpul MBUS sights on EBay for like $80-90 per pair, delivered.

Last edited by sweeper22; 04-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I just picked up a Lucid HD7 great optic. Lifetime warranty , multi reticle , waterproof, uses one AAA battery , auto shut off , comes in black or fde, auto and manual brightness features . Great company , Vortex is great also , I own several red dots including a aimpoint , vortex, bushnell trs25, primary arms micro and I prefer the Lucid over them all because of the auto bright/ dim feature . Optics planet has them priced about the same as the strikefire . Theyalso have a 10% off code at o planet . As far as irons i also prefer magpul over my Troy and diamond heads

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Anytime I build for me, I generally prefer a fixed front sight post/gas block with a $50 Magpul flip rear MBUS.

I've paid more for trendier options. And it's my opinion that I paid more for less functional products in every case. The one caveat would be if you wanted a low-pro gas block with a flip front sight...in which case I'd also advise you buy Magpul.

I believe you can find front&rear Magpul MBUS sights on EBay for like $80-90 per pair, delivered.
Could I use the fixed front sight I have with a Magpul flip rear? It looks like the front site would be a little high.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Show a pic of your AR and its Iron Sights. Most iron sights can 'co-witness- with the scope you will be adding. is your AR a flat top? (No carry handle, just the picitinni rail and front sight post). What does your Ar have?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

And here is a link to Vortex StrikeFires

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vortex+strikefire&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=57018114&ref=pd_sl_245a7kwxsq_ e

They are always selling for 154.00 on slickguns.com

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Show a pic of your AR and its Iron Sights. Most iron sights can 'co-witness- with the scope you will be adding. is your AR a flat top? (No carry handle, just the picitinni rail and front sight post). What does your Ar have?
Its got the carry handle with the rear sight in the rear of the carry handle.

Its identical to this one
http://www.bushmaster.com/img/firearms/90298_XM-15_16M4.jpg

Looks like I would have to remove the front sight anyway if I took the carry handle off and mounted the optics as it looks like the front sight would obstruct the view of the scope. So I guess the only option I would have without removing the front sight, adding a low pro gas block and purchasing a new rear sight would be to mount the scope directly onto the carry handle. Would this be a good idea?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Its got the carry handle with the rear sight in the rear of the carry handle.

Its identical to this one
http://www.bushmaster.com/img/firearms/90298_XM-15_16M4.jpg

Looks like I would have to remove the front sight anyway if I took the carry handle off and mounted the optics as it looks like the front sight would obstruct the view of the scope. So I guess the only option I would have without removing the front sight, adding a low pro gas block and purchasing a new rear sight would be to mount the scope directly onto the carry handle. Would this be a good idea?
now here's my take.... if you took the carry handle off and used a real scope you would never see the front sight in the scope.

if you put a rear flip up, or RDS of some sort you should be able to co-witness(means the front sight post will be where the dot is.)
we have a rifle with a rear flip and iron front sight. worked just fine that way. we then added a scope and it works to perfection.

you can find rails for about 15 bucks that would allow you to mount a RDS on top of your carry handle. but sometimes this puts the sight too high above the barrel axis and thus is not as accurate. but is very possible if its what you want.

my advice is to choose what you want to do with the rifle.... hunting, plinking, SD, CQB?

then choose what you like better irons, scope, RDS, RDS and irons.

after you have these two down then you can choose a good optic... (or not) for you and YOUR rifle.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
ccase39 Likes This