Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about part quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wanted to start a budget (a.k.a. Inexpensive) AR-15 build. I was looking on gunbroker and came across a lower receiver by a company called ATI and an upper by a company called New Frontier Army. I was just wondering if these were okay. And, if not, why so?

Also, the upper I want is for a 22 LR. Are these all standard parts such that any standard lower will mount to a standard upper that's a 22 caliber? Or, does my desire for a 22 caliber mean I need to buy special and/or different parts?

Thanks

Last edited by dr_psych; 05-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

Liked 727 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 697

Many of us aren't fans of polymer receivers but they should be fine for .22LR.

New Frontier Army? Do we have a new Army?

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7565 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Compatibility- In GENERAL- you can take a standard AR type lower, and add a .22LR upper. However, if the entire rifle began life as a .22 LR, you may NOT always just switch to a centerfire upper.

Some, like the S&W 15-22, have a size difference on the dimesions of the upper from a standard AR. And it has no buffer, or a place to put a buffer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

quality can be spotty.

if your wanting a easy to use with readily available parts and the functionality of an AR15 i would look at smith and wesson's M&P 15-22.

most (all i have seen) 22 uppers use ar15 barrels which come in the wrong twist for using slow lightweight 22lr. on top of that they shoot dirtier than any 22lr ive ever run across as they are just expensive versions of the atchisson 22lr kit.

the neat thing about the 15-22 is the mags are super easy to load widely available and cheap. parts can be readily had and the lower parts swap out with any ar15 parts.

22 uppers on a ar15 lower is bad way to go unless your sticking a cmmg conversion in your pack for emergency hunting reasons.

just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

New Frontier Armory is quickly becoming the biggest name in guns in Las Vegas

Great products, wonderful and knowledgeable staff, great customer service, and the warranty everything they sell.

I won't go anywhere else anymore.

They are they perfect gun store .

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp
New Frontier Armory is quickly becoming the biggest name in guns in Las Vegas

Great products, wonderful and knowledgeable staff, great customer service, and the warranty everything they sell.

I won't go anywhere else anymore.

They are they perfect gun store .
It seems the lowers are inexpensive but the uppers are where a lot of the costs are. Too bad new frontier doesn't make an upper. What are some good, less expensive uppers chambered for 22lr?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Um, New Frontier's been around a while, iirc they do sell uppers, tho I've never seen them sell a 22lr upper.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 05-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.