Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Question about part quality (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/question-about-part-quality-90407/)

dr_psych 05-09-2013 05:49 PM

I wanted to start a budget (a.k.a. Inexpensive) AR-15 build. I was looking on gunbroker and came across a lower receiver by a company called ATI and an upper by a company called New Frontier Army. I was just wondering if these were okay. And, if not, why so?

Also, the upper I want is for a 22 LR. Are these all standard parts such that any standard lower will mount to a standard upper that's a 22 caliber? Or, does my desire for a 22 caliber mean I need to buy special and/or different parts?

Thanks

Quentin 05-09-2013 06:46 PM

Many of us aren't fans of polymer receivers but they should be fine for .22LR.

New Frontier Army? Do we have a new Army? :D

c3shooter 05-09-2013 06:54 PM

Compatibility- In GENERAL- you can take a standard AR type lower, and add a .22LR upper. However, if the entire rifle began life as a .22 LR, you may NOT always just switch to a centerfire upper.

Some, like the S&W 15-22, have a size difference on the dimesions of the upper from a standard AR. And it has no buffer, or a place to put a buffer.

JonM 05-09-2013 06:54 PM

quality can be spotty.

if your wanting a easy to use with readily available parts and the functionality of an AR15 i would look at smith and wesson's M&P 15-22.

most (all i have seen) 22 uppers use ar15 barrels which come in the wrong twist for using slow lightweight 22lr. on top of that they shoot dirtier than any 22lr ive ever run across as they are just expensive versions of the atchisson 22lr kit.

the neat thing about the 15-22 is the mags are super easy to load widely available and cheap. parts can be readily had and the lower parts swap out with any ar15 parts.

22 uppers on a ar15 lower is bad way to go unless your sticking a cmmg conversion in your pack for emergency hunting reasons.

just my opinion

mudpupp 05-10-2013 06:00 AM

New Frontier Armory is quickly becoming the biggest name in guns in Las Vegas

Great products, wonderful and knowledgeable staff, great customer service, and the warranty everything they sell.

I won't go anywhere else anymore.

They are they perfect gun store .

dr_psych 05-10-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpupp
New Frontier Armory is quickly becoming the biggest name in guns in Las Vegas

Great products, wonderful and knowledgeable staff, great customer service, and the warranty everything they sell.

I won't go anywhere else anymore.

They are they perfect gun store .

It seems the lowers are inexpensive but the uppers are where a lot of the costs are. Too bad new frontier doesn't make an upper. What are some good, less expensive uppers chambered for 22lr?

AgentTikki 05-10-2013 06:13 PM

Um, New Frontier's been around a while, iirc they do sell uppers, tho I've never seen them sell a 22lr upper.