Question about lowers...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about lowers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Default Question about lowers...

Guys, I have read the excellent thread that agent tikki put together and want to begin my AR15 build as fund$ allow. So with that, I have a couple of questions:

What is the deal with some stripped lowers having complete trigger guards and others do not? I assume that the ones without just cost less due to mfg? Is that an area of the lower thats prone to break with heavy use and as a result the mfgrs choose to leave it open? Just wondering.

Second, I am actively looking for a multi-cal lower to purchase ASAP. What are the top 3 or 4 lowers available that are reasonable in price? For example, is the PSA lower for $99 a good deal, or is it a good deal for a "average" lower? I am kicking myself for not getting a couple blemished PSA lowers when they were like $50.... The LGS I called today has a couple of lowers for .308 (mfg CMMG) but they were around $250 and up in price...

Thanks guys!

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman
Guys, I have read the excellent thread that agent tikki put together and want to begin my AR15 build as fund$ allow. So with that, I have a couple of questions:

What is the deal with some stripped lowers having complete trigger guards and others do not? I assume that the ones without just cost less due to mfg? Is that an area of the lower thats prone to break with heavy use and as a result the mfgrs choose to leave it open? Just wondering.

Second, I am actively looking for a multi-cal lower to purchase ASAP. What are the top 3 or 4 lowers available that are reasonable in price? For example, is the PSA lower for $99 a good deal, or is it a good deal for a "average" lower? I am kicking myself for not getting a couple blemished PSA lowers when they were like $50.... The LGS I called today has a couple of lowers for .308 (mfg CMMG) but they were around $250 and up in price...

Thanks guys!
I just picked up my stripped PSA lower from my LGS. I also have two stripped spikes waiting to be assembled and just from look and feel they seem pretty close. Can't tell ya how it will perform compared to my spikes though.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I asked the same thing not to long ago. What I found out is the S&W M&P is about $100-$120 and is among the best.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

The ones with built in trigger guards are usually billet alum instead of forged alum. I love the looks of billet but honestly it provides no functions and costs 2-3X . I use all mil spec forged lowers and they work fine . Billet lowers remind me of a show car forged are your daily drivers
.308 lower are for the larger caliber stuff .
AR15 .233/ 5.56 lowers are all milspec capatable and interchangable where not all the. 308 stuff will fit each manufacturers parts. some are proprietary.

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-08-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

I wouldn't say that one forged lower is better than any other. Pick the roll mark on the side that u like best and go with it . There are only about 6 or so machining facilities that do most of them they just put a different skirt on the same on girl.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys- I think I will check out some more LGS to see what they have before making the order online...maybe there will be some deals around here
(Nashville, TN)

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman View Post
Thanks guys- I think I will check out some more LGS to see what they have before making the order online...maybe there will be some deals around here
(Nashville, TN)
Don't wait on the lower, do it before they get this ban in place. U can thank me later

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Don't wait on the lower, do it before they get this ban in place. U can thank me later
Good point

Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Yep the lower is the part that is registered. After the ban there is a chance you can still find everything elts but you will not be able to buy a lower.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

ok, LGS not too far from here has stripped cmmg lowers multi-cal for $109 in stock. Thinking about heading on over this afternoon to get... anything else I need to consider? I think its a billet piece with complete trigger guard...but not %100 sure...