Question about iron sights and optics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about iron sights and optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about iron sights and optics

I've decided to buy a new ar instead of doing a build. I know most people suggest doing a build but I know nothing about ar's and I want to buy one, shoot it, add stuff to it and then do a build a little later down the road.

My question is this: I want to get a rifle with good quality iron sights to shoot right out of the box and add a really good red/green dot reflex type sight later. I want to be able to use the iron sights as a back up after the reflex is added. Should I get a rifle with folding front and rear sights to start with? Do both front and back have to fold down to do this? What are my other options if I don't want do a build yet?

I think I like the Bushmasters or RRA's. This is a Bushy BCWA3F16M4AR. It already comes with folding front and rear sights. Is this a good place to start for what I want to do?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated as I have just started researching AR's.

bcwa3f16m4ar.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If you are dead set on buying a complete rifle, I would highly recommend you getting folding front & rear back up iron sights.

The benefit of folding sights is that when they are down, they are out of the way and you don't have to worry about them snagging, catching, getting clogged or otherwise encumbered.

If your optics, whatever they are, should fail, you pull them and hit a couple of buttons and you are back in the fight.

Co-Witness is something that a lot of people like in their AR platforms. This is when your sight point of your iron sights are exactly in line with the red dot or reticle of your optics. And that is a very good idea, but for me personally, I like one or the other, not both.

When you have three points of a sight picture, a bump or knock on one can affect accuracy. Should the scope get whacked, you probably know it happened.

My recommendation would be to get a set of quality folding sights like those from Yankee Hill Machine or some place like that.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

JD

Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

You have several options. You can go with a standard A2 type setup with a fixed front and rear sight and mount to red dot on the carry handle. You can also go with an A3 "flat top" optics ready and mount the optics directly to the receiver and use folding sights as a backup. Just be sure the gas block has a rail and do not use polymer on the front sight. All depends on your preferences.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington