Question about head spacing... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about head spacing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well the extra metal at the tail doesn't really strengthen the carrier where it matters but an extra 1/2 ounce does add to the reciprocating mass and smooths out the action. So it's not imperative to have FA as long as the SA carrier properly shields the firing pin - but when buying new, why not get FA.

The 1/2 oz can be made up going from an H buffer to the Spikes buffer or better yet, to H2 which weighs about 0.9 oz more than H. (Of course depending on the barrel configuration.)
I'm not entirely certain which buffer I have, whatever PSA sells in their carbine kits, but my spent casings are deflected off of my brass deflector, which I'm told despite the name, is incorrect. So would I use a heavier/lighter buffer to remedy this?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

FA carriers also has a shroud that protects the firing pin as the bcg slides out of battery.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #13

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I'm not entirely certain which buffer I have, whatever PSA sells in their carbine kits, but my spent casings are deflected off of my brass deflector, which I'm told despite the name, is incorrect. So would I use a heavier/lighter buffer to remedy this?
Heavier, probably. In general a 16" midlength would benefit from an upgrade to the H buffer. And a 16" carbine length gas tends to do well with an H2 or maybe even H3. The H, H2 and H3 buffers are stamped correspondingly. If you have an unmarked carbine buffer it's almost certainly a standard weight.

There's overlap of course, my 16" midlengths do quite well with H2 buffers, even with lower powered ammo.

Instead of buying every buffer you can just buy an H3 if you already have a standard weight. The H3 has 3 tungsten weights and the standard, 3 steel. Or think of it as: 3T+0S= H3 and 0T+3S= standard.

By removing the roll pin that holds on the plastic bumper on the buffer you can mix'n'match weights: 2T+1S= H2 which would leave 1T+2S= H for the second buffer. Only problem the buffer is marked incorrectly but performs properly at its new weight.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #14

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 299

My opinion on that bcg is crap is crap whether chrome, phosphate, teflon, nickel-moron, etc.. Like a drill sergeant once told me, you can try and polish doo doo (he said ****), but in the end, it will still be doo doo.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #15

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
I was looking at possibly putting in an order for a Fail Zero nickel boron BCG but my question is would I have to do any headspacing procedures prior to firing it in my AR15? I read a few things online where people have said the bigger manufacturers of BCG already have the proper headspacing but just want to make sure. I have a noveske afghan that I would use it with and just use the noveske BCG as a back up. Anyone with any experience with a Fail Zero or any nickel boron BCGs let me know how they compare to mil spec BCGs and your pros and cons. Thanks
I have read a few posts on this and other forums from guys with Fail Zero, and none have complained, other than the price.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

I have read a few posts on this and other forums from guys with Fail Zero, and none have complained, other than the price.
Yeah I haven't really seen many complaints on the FZ. I really just want a BCM but they are so hard to come by right now then I saw that Surplus Ammo has the FZ in stock so I was thinking of going with that but might just wait for the BCM because I'm still not sure

Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Heavier, probably. In general a 16" midlength would benefit from an upgrade to the H buffer. And a 16" carbine length gas tends to do well with an H2 or maybe even H3. The H, H2 and H3 buffers are stamped correspondingly. If you have an unmarked carbine buffer it's almost certainly a standard weight.

There's overlap of course, my 16" midlengths do quite well with H2 buffers, even with lower powered ammo.

Instead of buying every buffer you can just buy an H3 if you already have a standard weight. The H3 has 3 tungsten weights and the standard, 3 steel. Or think of it as: 3T+0S= H3 and 0T+3S= standard.

By removing the roll pin that holds on the plastic bumper on the buffer you can mix'n'match weights: 2T+1S= H2 which would leave 1T+2S= H for the second buffer. Only problem the buffer is marked incorrectly but performs properly at its new weight.
What kind of ammo should one run and avoid (if any) with a 14.5 mid with a milspec buffer spring and H-buffer? I've read that weaker loads work better with the standard carbine buffer in others opinions. I'm trying to decide whether I should get the spikes buffer kit or BCM

Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
What kind of ammo should one run and avoid (if any) with a 14.5 mid with a milspec buffer spring and H-buffer? I've read that weaker loads work better with the standard carbine buffer in others opinions. I'm trying to decide whether I should get the spikes buffer kit or BCM
No experience with the 14.5" midlength and really not a fan, carbine length would handle a wider range of ammo. I'd go out and shoot it with various configs and find out.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

No experience with the 14.5" midlength and really not a fan, carbine length would handle a wider range of ammo. I'd go out and shoot it with various configs and find out.
Will do. Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #20

I'd get a standard weight carbine length buffer for sure and why not the H3 so you can make all four weights and test. I doubt you'll want more than H for light loads, maybe even standard.

______