Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Question about head spacing... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/question-about-head-spacing-78177/)

LaiePoi 12-10-2012 07:20 PM

Question about head spacing...

I was looking at possibly putting in an order for a Fail Zero nickel boron BCG but my question is would I have to do any headspacing procedures prior to firing it in my AR15? I read a few things online where people have said the bigger manufacturers of BCG already have the proper headspacing but just want to make sure. I have a noveske afghan that I would use it with and just use the noveske BCG as a back up. Anyone with any experience with a Fail Zero or any nickel boron BCGs let me know how they compare to mil spec BCGs and your pros and cons. Thanks

AgentTikki 12-10-2012 09:00 PM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

LaiePoi 12-10-2012 11:36 PM

Dang after reading that experience with the BRO BCG makes me a little weary to get a nickel boron coated BCG. Maybe I should go with a BCM BCG?

Quentin 12-10-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaiePoi (Post 1047069)
... Maybe I should go with a BCM BCG?

Good idea! (I have two... and a Daniel Defense...)

As far as your question about headspacing, it's rarely needed even if you buy the parts separate and put together your AR. The factory does the same thing, they slap a BCG in an upper and test fire. If you pay extra for a tuned/fitted AR they probably slap in a few BCGs until they find one that gives the best tolerance. It's very unusual to find poor headspace when using new parts.

sputnik1988 12-11-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1047084)

As far as your question about headspacing, it's rarely needed even if you buy the parts separate and put together your AR. The factory does the same thing, they slap a BCG in an upper and test fire. If you pay extra for a tuned/fitted AR they probably slap in a few BCGs until they find one that gives the best tolerance. It's very unusual to find poor headspace when using new parts.

I have a Daniel Defense also and love it. The Chrome lining really helps, my dad has a non chromed Bushmaster that isnt nearly as easy to clean

Quentin 12-11-2012 12:10 AM

DD now makes a plated BCG but you have to be careful, some don't have the M16 style carrier like our phosphated, chrome lined versions.

sputnik1988 12-11-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1047112)
DD now makes a plated BCG but you have to be careful, some don't have the M16 style carrier like our phosphated, chrome lined versions.

That's what kept me from buying one, I dont know that a F/A carrier is any 'better' , but more metal should mean stronger right?

Quentin 12-11-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1047119)
That's what kept me from buying one, I dont know that a F/A carrier is any 'better' , but more metal should mean stronger right?

Well the extra metal at the tail doesn't really strengthen the carrier where it matters but an extra 1/2 ounce does add to the reciprocating mass and smooths out the action. So it's not imperative to have FA as long as the SA carrier properly shields the firing pin - but when buying new, why not get FA.

The 1/2 oz can be made up going from an H buffer to the Spikes buffer or better yet, to H2 which weighs about 0.9 oz more than H. (Of course depending on the barrel configuration.)

LaiePoi 12-11-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin

Awesome and thanks for the knowledge. Now if I can just get the order in fast enough after I get the "in-stock" email from BCM! Missed the last two, one being today :/

Quentin 12-11-2012 12:37 AM

BTW, I should say that if you want, you probably can find a local shop that would check your headspace for $10 or so. Shouldn't be much. I've never bothered myself, I inspect my brass and look for problems. If the brass is good I figure the headspace is good.

Being this casual is something you wouldn't do with just about any other firearm build.