Question about AR-15 buffer spring - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question about AR-15 buffer spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

personally i love the sproinging sound its very distinctive. the only way to get rid of it is to go with a piston kit but then it really wouldnt be an ar15 anymore
I was gonna say, my LWRCI doesn't make that sound like the others, and I don't know why...

Now I know why.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Embrace the sproing. LoL.

Honestly I ddnt like it either. I removed the spring. Gave all my ARs a light spritzing of Hoppes gun oil and put it back in the tube. Now I have a muted sproing but I can still hear it so I know when the bolt locks back .

Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #13

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Embrace the sproing. LoL.

Honestly I ddnt like it either. I removed the spring. Gave all my ARs a light spritzing of Hoppes gun oil and put it back in the tube. Now I have a muted sproing but I can still hear it so I know when the bolt locks back .
Same here, now it's more of a pop than a drag though.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog

The buffer spring size is supposed to be paired to the length of the gas tube for reliable cycling. If their is a less "sproingy" one out there (an I doubt it) make sure its for your rifles configuration. You could look into a different style of butt stock too that may not echo as much inside.
I'm waiting for my local shop to get my buffer kit in. As soon as he does, I'll have the magpul prs stock. I've never shot an AR with that particular stock on it, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll try the oil once I get it on. Maybe the prs stock will help some too

Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 770 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
personally i love the sproinging sound its very distinctive. the only way to get rid of it is to go with a piston kit but then it really wouldnt be an ar15 anymore
this is just not true, and heres why. my friend and i both own stag ar rifles. mine is a standard model( model 4) his a carbine(model 2). we both had an extremely loud boing noise. we bought these heavy buffers and springs from Slash's Heavy Buffers

they are a bit pricey. however, they work great. now both rifles dont make ANY boing noise. all you hear is the cycling, and the bang. they have also reduced what little felt recoil there was. which was just an added bonus. IMHO they are worth every penny we spent.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
we bought these heavy buffers and springs from Slash's Heavy Buffers
Had no idea they existed. Cool. Personally I never really noticed or cared about the sound, but an increase in reliability is attractive. The obvious downside IMO is the price and the weight (even though its at the rear) Nice to know the product's out there though.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

this is just not true, and heres why. my friend and i both own stag ar rifles. mine is a standard model( model 4) his a carbine(model 2). we both had an extremely loud boing noise. we bought these heavy buffers and springs from Slash's Heavy Buffers

they are a bit pricey. however, they work great. now both rifles dont make ANY boing noise. all you hear is the cycling, and the bang. they have also reduced what little felt recoil there was. which was just an added bonus. IMHO they are worth every penny we spent.
Huh, very interesting. So maybe I should just go ahead and get a heavy buffer. I've seen tungsten buffers and others. What do you recommend?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #18

I have heard, but know nothing, about "tuned" springs and hydraulic buffers but I believe they are just for taming recoil. I think I saw the "tuned" springs at the Nokick web site, but don't exactly remember... Can I be more vague... sorry about that, hope it helps.

Thanks for the link jj "Slash's Heavy Buffers" I'm already checking them now..!

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 01-16-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 770 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Had no idea they existed. Cool. Personally I never really noticed or cared about the sound, but an increase in reliability is attractive. The obvious downside IMO is the price and the weight (even though its at the rear) Nice to know the product's out there though.
being that the added weight was in the stock i barely noticed a difference it still felt and balanced good. yes it was scary i had to spend 140 total without knowing fully if it would solve my problem. but as i said im so glad i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
Huh, very interesting. So maybe I should just go ahead and get a heavy buffer. I've seen tungsten buffers and others. What do you recommend?
ive only had the standard and the heavy one i mentioned. ive seen others listed as heavy but i have no idea if they help. i can only state that the heavy one on that sight worked good for our two rifles... ive shot around 7 different AR's and mine was handsdown the loudest most annoying BOING noise i had ever heard.. and now its whisper quiet.. so its up to you to shell out the money. but my bet is you'll be glad you did.

one option might be to try one of the heavy, cheaper buffers from sportsmansguide or other online places and see how it does. if it performs good enough for you great. if not its not tons of money and then you would know if you felt you needed to get the expensive one. hehe
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #20

JJ... That Clint Eastwood Quote is one of my Fiancees favorite Clint movie lines ever... Just sayin'. I checked out the site (Slash's Heavy Barrels) and E-Mailed them about my AR build, The Rock River Arms LAR-8 is hard to find parts for and they advertise that they have built them for that rifle, Thanks again for the link...

Had to edit this in, it's from Clint at Slash's Heavy Barrel's at 10:59 P.M. (Does he work all night..?)
..."Yes, I can help. The M4 SOCOM will work on your gun. Ace makes two versions of the M4 – I’m assuming that you are planning on using the longer one, right? In that case you will need an XH rifle buffer and spring. These buffers are constructed of 303 Stainless Steel and the standard weight is 9 ounces. I can make one even heavier if you would like. (Felt recoil reduces as buffer weight increases.) More info here: www.heavybuffers.com/ar10rifle Please note that I make a specific version just for the RRA .308s, no other .308 AR buffer will fit the Rock River guns."

Cool guy, to help out this late at night..!
Thanks again jjfuller..!

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 01-17-2012 at 01:05 AM.