Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Quentin Defense billet lower is done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

I really like the looks of the new magpul fixed rifle stock but I didnt want to have to buy another rifle buffer, tube and spring kit along with the stock when I had this one laying around

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Looks good Quentin. I like that Quentin Billet lower!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Quentin,

Very! Very Nice! Looks great! Need to get us a range report with pics.
And also thank you my brother for your service to our Great Country also. 66-72 here!
I think that is what is wrong with our government today! All attorneys with Zero Service to their country!

Also HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Thanks Sniper, and thank you for your service, too! Ah, we both joined in 1966, late July for me. Anyway, I agree that military service should be a requirement for gov't jobs once you reach a certain level. Certainly Commander In Chief.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a question here? purehavoc made a comment about a nice fit earlier in this thread. Quentin responded, yea, I wouldn't have wanted it any tighter. I take it you guys were talking about the fit between upper and lower receiver? I'm not sure how purehavoc could see that in a picture, he must really have a trained eye for that or something . But I'd like to know what to look for in an ideal fit. I'm soon going to be putting my rra varmint upper on a lower receiver. I had bought a couple different lowers to choose from. Looking at the way the two receivers mate together, it appears to me, theres nothing for adjustment as far as a fit. Am I right? Also what different things do you look for in a fit? Is there anything you can do to adjust the fit. What happens if the fit is to loose or tight? Whats critical, or what is a problem fit, good, bad, etc, etc. ? thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #16

Yeah it's kinda hard to see upper/lower fit in a picture but Havoc pulled it off. If you hold the rifle up to a bright light like the sky or the TV or other light you can see how big the gap is. Or you can feel it by flexing the pinned receivers. Most receivers have no adjustment for fit but since you have multiple lowers you can pin each one to the upper and test for best fit. Or you can drop in a $3 Accuwedge or get a billet lower like the QD that has a tensioning screw.

Really it doesn't matter, a little play is normal and doesn't affect function or accuracy. If the fit is tight it usually loosens up after a few range sessions.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #17

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
I have a question here? purehavoc made a comment about a nice fit earlier in this thread. Quentin responded, yea, I wouldn't have wanted it any tighter. I take it you guys were talking about the fit between upper and lower receiver? I'm not sure how purehavoc could see that in a picture, he must really have a trained eye for that or something . But I'd like to know what to look for in an ideal fit. I'm soon going to be putting my rra varmint upper on a lower receiver. I had bought a couple different lowers to choose from. Looking at the way the two receivers mate together, it appears to me, theres nothing for adjustment as far as a fit. Am I right? Also what different things do you look for in a fit? Is there anything you can do to adjust the fit. What happens if the fit is to loose or tight? Whats critical, or what is a problem fit, good, bad, etc, etc. ? thanks
AHHHHH Yes the trained eye
When you have seen enough of them with huge gaps you know what a tight fit looks like even at a distance

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Great looking lower!

I actually got in line for a pair of these (the plain QD shield version) on backorder about a month ago.

Looked like a solid billet lower for a fair price, so hopefully they'll end up below a couple builds later this year. But at the time I ordered I think they were closed for the holidays and claiming a 16+wk wait....so I should receive mine sometime between March and 'The End of Time'.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Love the trigger guard, the way it's shaped and milled as part of the receiver.

And THANKS you guys for your service

Viet Nam 1963-1965

Last edited by whiskeypickles; 01-31-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #20

And thank you for your service too, whiskeypickles!

These lowers are very well finished. Quality throughout.

Besides the US Army edition and standard QD shield version Sweeper mentioned, there are USMC, USN, USAF and Coast Guard editions. When I got mine it was $160 but no doubt the price has gone up recently.

______