Quality AR Parts - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Quality AR Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
5.56x45mm frangible rounds are pretty easy to come by. A good frangible round will penetrate human flesh but begin to disintegrate when it comes in contact with lath and plaster or exterior walls. The downside is that drywall does nothing to stop it.

IIRC, There a even a couple of different Glaser loads available.
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. But buckshot at close range will have suitable one-shot-stopping power -- arguably more than a 5.56 -- without chewing up your drywall (unless you miss).

Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm with bkt - Inside the house I like my 1911 first, or need be, my FN Shotgun.

Outside the house I like the AR for short range, Zombie in the Wire type of applications.

JD

Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'm with bkt - Inside the house I like my 1911 first, or need be, my FN Shotgun.

Outside the house I like the AR for short range, Zombie in the Wire type of applications.

JD
A well practiced 1911 shooter is better than a vascular surgeon when it comes to accuracy though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
A well practiced 1911 shooter is better than a vascular surgeon when it comes to accuracy though.
Now that there is a TRUE story....

Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Just one quick comment about an AR as a home defense rifle: they're not necessarily too good for that. If you have neighbors anywhere near you or you have others living in your home, the AR is not a good choice because the rounds can very easily penetrate through multiple interior and exterior walls.
When my alma mater police department was researching adopting AR's (5.56 / .223) as patrol rifles, one of the biggest objections by the city attorney and politicians was that of over penetration, which our research said was not an issue. So, we did our own tests, using dry wall, doors and floors. What we learned was that our issue .40 caliber pistol ammo (Ranger SXT) at the time, penetrated deeper than HP 5.56 / .223. I know it seems odd, but that's what we found.

That's my experience, your mileage may vary.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Just one quick comment about an AR as a home defense rifle: they're not necessarily too good for that. If you have neighbors anywhere near you or you have others living in your home, the AR is not a good choice because the rounds can very easily penetrate through multiple interior and exterior walls. The chances you might accidentally hurt a family member or neighbor are comparatively high. I recommend a shotgun with #2 or #4 buckshot for home defense.

A generic AR configuration is ideal for medium range on out to maybe 300 yards. (That's a reach.)
A shotgun is great, until you need to make a precision shot on a badguy holding a hostage, or fire more than 8 rounds at a time.

A shot gun can only beat a rifle at breaching locks and shooting birds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
When my alma mater police department was researching adopting AR's (5.56 / .223) as patrol rifles, one of the biggest objections by the city attorney and politicians was that of over penetration, which our research said was not an issue. So, we did our own tests, using dry wall, doors and floors. What we learned was that our issue .40 caliber pistol ammo (Ranger SXT) at the time, penetrated deeper than HP 5.56 / .223. I know it seems odd, but that's what we found.

That's my experience, your mileage may vary.
That has been the consistent results from several other sources, with some great credibility...

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #17

Looks like we are getting a little off track from where I started. Can anyone tell me if GG&G make quality parts, particularly tactical forearms, and vertical grips? Also what about their flip-up front and rear sights? Thanks, Jamie

Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Looks like we are getting a little off track from where I started. Can anyone tell me if GG&G make quality parts, particularly tactical forearms, and vertical grips? Also what about their flip-up front and rear sights? Thanks, Jamie
LOL

Jamie...hopefully you forgive the guys here. They really do mean well, but tend to lose track of the subject at times...we all do that.

As for your question...GG&G makes some top notch gear, and you would do well with any of their parts. Yes, there are a few other brands out there that some of the 'rambos' will swear you have to have over them or any other brands, but I have yet had anything by GG&G fail on me.

I do have their flip up sights on a few of my guns, as well as their forearm/vertical grips and quick release optics mounts. I've had those same parts on a few guns that have been through a couple carbine courses with no problems. I would not be afraid to buy from them again or mount any of their equipment on any of my AR's.

Slo

Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #19

Thanks sloryde45,

Yeah, I know it's easy to get off track. I figured there would be guys with responses of "you have to use brand 'x'" or "anything but brand 'y' is junk," or some such response. I was suprised how few responses of what actual brand names are good or bad. I came across GG&G's website and it looked like quality gear, also made in U.S.A. I know others are as well, and I am checking into those as I get info. on them. I know very little about ar's, so I'll listen to all the help I can get. Shoot safe, Jamie