Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Quality AR Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Quality AR Parts

I'm new to the black rifles. I'd like to accessorize a little but don't want to buy junk. What brand names make quality parts (i.e. tactical forarms, flip sights...etc.) Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I moved this to the AR section.

What do you have now? That might help the guys here help you with some choices for your upgrades.

JD

Old 12-27-2008, 02:54 AM   #3

I just pick up the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 OR (optics ready).

Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stick with thr reputable brands, each will have its own "specialty"

how much do you want to spend is the real question

In an insane effort to double the cost of the original rifle....

my wish list (in partial execution) would be:

free float rail system - Yankee Hill Machine (just got one!) prolly the best value, Larue or Daniel Def have great rep though
tango down vert grip
low profile gas block - YHM again
Troy BUIS - Troy makes a great sight, but they are PROUD of it and the cost shows it
ACOG NSN - depends on what you want to do with it; aimpoint or trijicon dont go cheap if you put an optic on her
MIAD grip - MAGPUL
Magpul trigger guard - MAGPUL
CTR stock - MAGPUL - again, proud of these $$$ the 6 pos that is OEM will do for you for a while

IMO start with the hand guards (after getting a sh*%load of magazines), if nothing else upgrade to the M4 standard instead of the little spindly XM177 style they throw on the 15 ORs.

Guys will have their personal prefs and opinions, we tend to stay with what we are comfortable with. Just watch the cost, sometimes things gain a life of their own if some "expert" writes an article on it or it shows up on the cover of a gun mag. Take your time, the most time critical item you have (the rifle) so you are in the cat bird's seat.
Congrats on the purchase, enjoy!

Last edited by hillbilly68; 12-27-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hillbilly has a good list there. A REALLY good list actually. I would personally opt out of the ACOG for an EoTech, but that is personal preference only.

I think a tuned trigger ( either done for you by a 'smith or a good drop in model ), a free floated fore end and a good set of sights are the first and most important upgrades.

After that, some quality magazines and a ton of ammo before that too becomes scarce....

But, in the interest of personalizing your thread, and YOUR weapon, what are you looking for the weapon to do?

JD

Old 12-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I bought the rifle somewhat on a whim. Not much interest in military type guns, mostly sporting arms. I picked this little gem up because one, I still can, and two, I got it at a good price. Although I could go to a gun show and sell it for a profit, I plan on keeping it as a home defense gun (notice I will not use the term WEAPON as no gun in my house is one, although a screwdriver could be and nobody trying to ban those). My plan right now it to put on a tactical rail forarm, so to attach a vertical grip, flashlight possibly a laser and the option of a bipod. The bipod would be more for plinking at the range. I'm also thinking of putting on the Leupold CR/T scope. This one over any other again because I can get it for a very good price. Also I would like flip-up iron sights for in the event the scope would malfunction in the "heat of battle." I don't know what the difference is between the free floating forarm and the standard type, or why the free float would be better. Keep in mind I'm not setting this up for long distance accuracy. I'm not prarie doggin' or going to camp Perry with this gun. If that were the case, I would not have bought this configuration. I've found a company called GG&G that seems to have what I'm looking for in a forarm, vertical grip, and flip-up front and rear sights. Being new to the ar's, I don't know if they have quality products or not. I will check into the other companies you guys mentioned. Thanks again for you time. Shoot safe.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Just one quick comment about an AR as a home defense rifle: they're not necessarily too good for that. If you have neighbors anywhere near you or you have others living in your home, the AR is not a good choice because the rounds can very easily penetrate through multiple interior and exterior walls. The chances you might accidentally hurt a family member or neighbor are comparatively high. I recommend a shotgun with #2 or #4 buckshot for home defense.

A generic AR configuration is ideal for medium range on out to maybe 300 yards. (That's a reach.)

Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #8

bkt,

Point well taken, though I agree with you on the shotgun idea, which I already have along with various handguns, the ar will help round out my defense collection. Hope I don't sound like I'm leaning towards the psyco side.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
bkt,

Point well taken, though I agree with you on the shotgun idea, which I already have along with various handguns, the ar will help round out my defense collection. Hope I don't sound like I'm leaning towards the psyco side.
Good, a shotgun is better-suited, IMO, for home defense. The AR is a great "neighborhood watch" accessory.

No, you don't sound like a psycho. At least, not any more than anyone else here.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Just one quick comment about an AR as a home defense rifle: they're not necessarily too good for that. If you have neighbors anywhere near you or you have others living in your home, the AR is not a good choice because the rounds can very easily penetrate through multiple interior and exterior walls. The chances you might accidentally hurt a family member or neighbor are comparatively high. I recommend a shotgun with #2 or #4 buckshot for home defense.

A generic AR configuration is ideal for medium range on out to maybe 300 yards. (That's a reach.)
5.56x45mm frangible rounds are pretty easy to come by. A good frangible round will penetrate human flesh but begin to disintegrate when it comes in contact with lath and plaster or exterior walls. The downside is that drywall does nothing to stop it.

IIRC, There a even a couple of different Glaser loads available.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.