Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Purchase Age?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Purchase Age?

What is the legal purchase age for an AR?

I know pistols are 21 and shotguns/rifles are 18....in FL atleast.

If it makes a difference im 19 years old and an active duty Marine...

Another question, what do yall recommend for my first AR15 build, start from scratch with a empty lower and build up? Or take the easier way out and pick up a Stag, Bushmaster, RRA, etc. and build it into the weapon I want it to be?

Last edited by DangerMMA; 04-30-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

An AR shouldn't be any different from any other rifle as far as purchasing one goes. At least, it's not here in New York. Check your local laws to see if there are any restrictions.

I lean toward Stag, but that's what I have the most experience with. Check out the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com and you should be able to pick up everything you need if you want to save some money and assemble one yourself. You should be able to get a very nice platform for around $800.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

we only sell pistol grip guns to 21 and above, we have defence shotguns that come with both the full stock and pistol grip stock, you can be 18 and buy the full stock and get the other but if i put the pistol grip on it first you must be 21

Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #4

In Florida, you must be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. 21 to purchase a handgun. That's only through a gun dealer though. You only have to be 18 to posses a hangun, meaning you could buy a handgun from someone as a private sale or your father could give you a handgun as a gift. Shotguns or rifles with a pistol grip and no rear stock are considered by most dealers to be pistols. You should be able to buy a standard type AR-15. Rifle or shotgun ammo can be purchased at 18, and handgun ammo you must be 21, unless you can prove it's for a rifle, such as pistol caliber carbines or lever action rifles. I've had pretty good luck with my Bushmaster.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

kansas and missouri are also 18 for rifles, 21 for handguns. as long as you're 18 or older (and you already said 19) you are good to go for buying the ar. as far as i know, it's standard in most states 18 for rifles/shotguns, 21 for handguns. feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #6

I just bought everything for my first AR and I am only 18.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
In Florida, you must be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. 21 to purchase a handgun. That's only through a gun dealer though. You only have to be 18 to posses a hangun, meaning you could buy a handgun from someone as a private sale or your father could give you a handgun as a gift. Shotguns or rifles with a pistol grip and no rear stock are considered by most dealers to be pistols. You should be able to buy a standard type AR-15. Rifle or shotgun ammo can be purchased at 18, and handgun ammo you must be 21, unless you can prove it's for a rifle, such as pistol caliber carbines or lever action rifles. I've had pretty good luck with my Bushmaster.

I think that is pretty much the general rule for most states

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You're correct poolshark13, most states (indiana included) it's 18 for rifles and shotguns and 21 for hundguns. I think that's pretty much the standard in all states, at least that I've heard. Also, it wouldn't make a difference if you are an active duty Marine. I know a guy who became an cop at 19 (has been a few years) and he couldn't even buy ammo for his pistol.