Punches and roll pins
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Punches and roll pins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Punches and roll pins

It's called my lgs and asked if they have gas block roll pins and punch kits but they just sounded confused and told me to go to a hardware store. Are these sold at hardware stores or did I convey what I was looking for wrong?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

I just called*

Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

Liked 2290 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Roll pin punches or punch sets can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. Roll pins can ususally be found there also. Now, knowing what size roll pin you need could be a bit trickier if you are missing a roll pin.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I'd change my LGS, those clowns sound like a pack of losers. Spend your hard earned dollar where you can get real help with weapons purchases & advice...IMHO. Mickey

Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Oh alright. I didn't understand that was a common thing. I already ordered gas block pins online but I'll head to lowes for the punch kit. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

The best roll pin starter punches and roll pin finish punches may be purchased at Brownells. Also they sell a top of the line push pin punch set made by Starrett Modle S565. When buying punches you get what you pay for. The right tools prevent damage from occuring to the roll pin as well as the work piece.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

A true roll pin punch will have a concave or cupped point to keep it from rolling off and marring the surface, some even have a small recess to hold the pin until you get it started through the hole. I have found that working with small pins requires at least 3 hands, unfortunately I only have 2.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1377usmc
I'd change my LGS, those clowns sound like a pack of losers. Spend your hard earned dollar where you can get real help with weapons purchases & advice...IMHO. Mickey
I am on the fence about them. They have some nice older guys and some pompous younger guys but throughout the whole ammo shortage they never jacked up their prices on guns or ammo.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I do believe 1/16th is the size for the gas block roll pin, as well as the trigger guard. I bought my set down in Utah at a place called harbor Freight for like 5 dollars or so. You can get a bag of roll pins at places like Midway, or Brownells, or an actual Roll pin on line store, And they come in 50 to 100 count Yikes. Pretty cheap, but the shipping is what kills it at places like Midway, etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #10

I'll check out brownells. I want to have the right tools for the future. I've only built an upper so it didn't take many tools but I want to get around to doing a lower from scratch so I'd like to have all the tools first.