Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Punches and roll pins (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/punches-roll-pins-94048/)

sbeezy 07-18-2013 12:48 AM

Punches and roll pins

It's called my lgs and asked if they have gas block roll pins and punch kits but they just sounded confused and told me to go to a hardware store. Are these sold at hardware stores or did I convey what I was looking for wrong?

sbeezy 07-18-2013 12:49 AM

I just called*

SSGN_Doc 07-18-2013 12:51 AM

Roll pin punches or punch sets can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. Roll pins can ususally be found there also. Now, knowing what size roll pin you need could be a bit trickier if you are missing a roll pin.

mich1377usmc 07-18-2013 12:58 AM

I'd change my LGS, those clowns sound like a pack of losers. Spend your hard earned dollar where you can get real help with weapons purchases & advice...IMHO. Mickey

sbeezy 07-18-2013 12:58 AM

Oh alright. I didn't understand that was a common thing. I already ordered gas block pins online but I'll head to lowes for the punch kit. Thanks.

Sniper03 07-18-2013 01:02 AM

The best roll pin starter punches and roll pin finish punches may be purchased at Brownells. Also they sell a top of the line push pin punch set made by Starrett Modle S565. When buying punches you get what you pay for. The right tools prevent damage from occuring to the roll pin as well as the work piece.

Jpyle 07-18-2013 01:02 AM

A true roll pin punch will have a concave or cupped point to keep it from rolling off and marring the surface, some even have a small recess to hold the pin until you get it started through the hole. I have found that working with small pins requires at least 3 hands, unfortunately I only have 2. :)

sbeezy 07-18-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mich1377usmc
I'd change my LGS, those clowns sound like a pack of losers. Spend your hard earned dollar where you can get real help with weapons purchases & advice...IMHO. Mickey

I am on the fence about them. They have some nice older guys and some pompous younger guys but throughout the whole ammo shortage they never jacked up their prices on guns or ammo.

Anna_Purna 07-18-2013 01:05 AM

I do believe 1/16th is the size for the gas block roll pin, as well as the trigger guard. I bought my set down in Utah at a place called harbor Freight for like 5 dollars or so. You can get a bag of roll pins at places like Midway, or Brownells, or an actual Roll pin on line store, And they come in 50 to 100 count Yikes. Pretty cheap, but the shipping is what kills it at places like Midway, etc.

sbeezy 07-18-2013 01:06 AM

I'll check out brownells. I want to have the right tools for the future. I've only built an upper so it didn't take many tools but I want to get around to doing a lower from scratch so I'd like to have all the tools first.