Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA Rifle Kit Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default PSA Rifle Kit Question

I've done tons of reading on the ARs mostly on this forum and a couple other places, I haven't gotten one together yet but I do have 2 PSA stripped lowers I picked up before the craziness and 1 lower parts kit, I have been thinking bout getting a rifle kit from PSA and throwing on one of the lowers but I don't really know what I am looking at, I mostly know the specs to look for when shopping ARs but what is the deal with all the different uppers PSA sells, do they come from different manufacturers with different qualities of build? For example there is the Blackhawk, the PTAC, the PSA Mid CTR, the PSA CMV, now they have the Freedom line, what is all of this?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 524 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 201

PTAC is not PSA. They are a separate company based out of Florida. They are also considered by most to be of lower quality than PSA, thus the lower price.

What you must remember is Palmetto State Armory is not only a firearm manufacturer, but also a gun store; thus they sell other companies products.

Now on to genuine PSA stuff. CHF stands for Cold Hammer Forged. It is a process of making the barrel that is generally considered to make the barrel better. Please google to read more about that and other acronyms.

When PSA says Machine Gun Steel, they are taking about what the barrel is actually made of. MGS is considered to be very good, as most companies just make barrels out of Chrome Moly Vanadium? steel.

Basically, PSA offers standard line products and then they have their "Premium" line. Look at the specs and research what they mean. PSA makes good stuff regardless of what line you choose, it just depends about how hard you are going to work your rifle and just how much you are willing to pay.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh, and don't worry about whatever cute pet names they give their rifle kits. Just look at the specs and decide if that is what you want.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Buy this upper, call Bravo Company in Southern WI and order a bolt carrier group and a gunfighter medium charging handle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56mm-1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Mid length gas, light weight profile barrel.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 05-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

I was thinking maybe this one: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-cmv-rifle-kit.html

Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
OK. Here is the million dollar question.

What are you going to use this rifle for?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #7

Why, let me ask you this, what use would fit that rifle? What about this rifle is not good as far as spec goes?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Rifle would likely be hunting, general shooting, truck gun, personal/home defense, and if the **** ever hit the fan it would be available. Am I going to go to a "range" and run off 1000 rounds per month in preparation for the apocalypse? No.

I really don't follow the "what is the use" philosophy so often used on this forum, I follow the "bang for my buck" philosophy, I want the best quality possible at the lowest possible price, I am not going to spend 2000 bucks on a rifle, but I will spend a little more to get a better product, basically I want the best mid range unit I can get, I don't want to buy something thought of as junk, bushmaster, ptac, delton, Olympic, etc.

clr8ter Likes This 
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Why, let me ask you this, what use would fit that rifle? What about this rifle is not good as far as spec goes?
Thanks for answering a question with another question.

First off, there is nothing "bad" about that rifle or it's specs. It just might not be the optimum set up for what you want to use it for.

That rifle would be great for target shooting out to maybe 300 yards with an experienced shooter.

If I were to use it for Home Defense, then the only thing I would personally change out would be hand guard to a quad rail so it would be easier to mount a flashlight on.

If I was making a long distance rifle or a bench varmint hunting rifle then I would go with a heavy profile free floating barrel of at least 18 inches.

If I was going into combat then I would probably want the BLACKHAWK rifle they offer but with a full auto carrier and a quad rail.

So as you see, different rifle for a different purpose. One rifle might be work okay in all situations but will not be the best option for all situations.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Rifle would likely be hunting, general shooting, truck gun, personal/home defense, and if the **** ever hit the fan it would be available. Am I going to go to a "range" and run off 1000 rounds per month in preparation for the apocalypse? No.

I really don't follow the "what is the use" philosophy so often used on this forum, I follow the "bang for my buck" philosophy, I want the best quality possible at the lowest possible price, I am not going to spend 2000 bucks on a rifle, but I will spend a little more to get a better product, basically I want the best mid range unit I can get, I don't want to buy something thought of as junk, bushmaster, ptac, delton, Olympic, etc.
Look. I understand where you are coming from. I do. IMHO, all PSA products are going to work great for you. If that is your attended purpose, then that rifle would be fine. Like I said, personally I would add a quad rail to it, but that could be done at a later date.

If I were you, I would check out the sticky thread about AR-15's. You might learn a thing or two about all the different acronyms and be better educated to make your own decision.