Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA or MP15 Sport?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
swazispencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

and doesn't the fact that SO MANY sport owners love their gun speak volumes?

i admit, i was looking for a budget priced AR, because i wasn't even sure i liked the platform. i was looking to get some firsthand experience with AR's.

i ended up with the S&W sport because the reviews on it are like 95%+ positive! and add me to the list, because it has been a very quality firearm from my point of view.

i think some owners (certainly not anyone specifically) of the so called "higher quality" AR's are very reluctant to admit or acknowledge that some of the budget priced AR's are very good guns, and in some cases perhaps as good as guns that cost much more. i think this is the root of the argument here, and why this thread is still going.

imo, a gun like my S&W sport has proven to me it can do anything any other AR can do. it is very reliable and accurate. it is a quality gun made by a trusted (usa) manufacturer.

congrats to op on the purchase.....i am sure the psa will be a fine rifle as well. it is another gun that gets high praise for quality and value.
Thanks. I can't wait to get it to the range. Initially, I wanted the Sport, but wanted to be sure I was getting the BEST bang for my buck. I heard everything positive about the PSA so I just went for it.
__________________
swazispencer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 3,551
Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
Thanks. I can't wait to get it to the range. Initially, I wanted the Sport, but wanted to be sure I was getting the BEST bang for my buck. I heard everything positive about the PSA so I just went for it.
i've only heard good stuff about psa as well. i imagine you got a great rifle.

have fun at the range, that's what its all about bro!
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,473
Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
... i think some owners (certainly not anyone specifically) of the so called "higher quality" AR's are very reluctant to admit or acknowledge that some of the budget priced AR's are very good guns, and in some cases perhaps as good as guns that cost much more. i think this is the root of the argument here, and why this thread is still going.

imo, a gun like my S&W sport has proven to me it can do anything any other AR can do. it is very reliable and accurate. it is a quality gun made by a trusted (usa) manufacturer.

congrats to op on the purchase.....i am sure the psa will be a fine rifle as well. it is another gun that gets high praise for quality and value.
The Sport is a decent AR. But as people put more thought into it, odds are they may long for a better M&P-15 and we all know S&W sells them but of course at a higher price. Same goes for Stag, they'll sell you a comspec AR or you can pay $100 for their Plus Package to milspec the rifle. (Which is good since you at least have the choice.)

But let's forget the higher cost ARs, the real issue here (back on topic) is you have the Sport and some PSA models at roughly the same price point but with PSA you can choose your barrel length, barrel material, twist rate, gas length, BCG, etc. It still amazes me that with all the top notch information out there about building or configuring ARs (the AR-15 Primer here for example) that so many people buy a bean counter's configuration when you could have had it your way, and at the same price range if you chose PSA (as Swazi did).

The reason some of us snobs keep pounding away at this is we all influence new buyers and I for one want both sides of the story told. Oh well, it's your rifle, have it your way.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek


Last edited by Quentin; 06-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,351
Liked 1036 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default

Here's the new PSA torture test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g2rG8xXfDbg

__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,444
Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Temecula eh? Why bother going to the range. You are probably a stone's throw from BLM land. Scoot out to the desert and shoot for free!

__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 3,551
Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The Sport is a decent AR. But as people put more thought into it, odds are they may long for a better M&P-15 and we all know S&W sells them but of course at a higher price. Same goes for Stag, they'll sell you a comspec AR or you can pay $100 for their Plus Package to milspec the rifle. (Which is good since you at least have the choice.)

But let's forget the higher cost ARs, the real issue here (back on topic) is you have the Sport and some PSA models at roughly the same price point but with PSA you can choose your barrel length, barrel material, twist rate, gas length, BCG, etc. It still amazes me that with all the top notch information out there about building or configuring ARs (the AR-15 Primer here for example) that so many people buy a bean counter's configuration when you could have had it your way, and at the same price range if you chose PSA (as Swazi did).

The reason some of us snobs keep pounding away at this is we all influence new buyers and I for one want both sides of the story told. Oh well, it's your rifle, have it your way.
i never meant to call anyone a snob, and certainly meant no disrespect. the op asked a question and you answered to the best of your knowledge (which i will admit, is way beyond mine). please continue to tell both sides of the story, it helps eveyone to have the most information possible to make a decision.

my only disagreement would be that you call the sport a "decent" AR. i think it is an outstanding AR at the price point. i researched it thouroughly, and virtually every review (professional or beginner) seems to be impressed with the sport. i have personally had great expierences with it, so i concur!

i know "you get what you pay for..." holds true very often. but once in awhile you get products that perform better than the price tag, and imo S&W got it right with the sport, a very good balance of quality and price.
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,351
Liked 1036 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Temecula eh? Why bother going to the range. You are probably a stone's throw from BLM land. Scoot out to the desert and shoot for free!
I remember when Temecula was a small town with rolling hills surrounding it and a house there was under $100k.
__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,473
Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i never meant to call anyone a snob, and certainly meant no disrespect. the op asked a question and you answered to the best of your knowledge (which i will admit, is way beyond mine). please continue to tell both sides of the story, it helps eveyone to have the most information possible to make a decision.

my only disagreement would be that you call the sport a "decent" AR. i think it is an outstanding AR at the price point. i researched it thouroughly, and virtually every review (professional or beginner) seems to be impressed with the sport. i have personally had great expierences with it, so i concur!

i know "you get what you pay for..." holds true very often. but once in awhile you get products that perform better than the price tag, and imo S&W got it right with the sport, a very good balance of quality and price.
No disrespect taken, hawkguy. It is a pleasure debating with you because you're a gentleman. We can disagree but still respect each other. In the end the important thing that we're pleased with the rifle we chose.

Oh and one thing we didn't touch on earlier, the Sport you and others bought has an interesting 1:8 5R barrel that has been dropped for a lesser barrel. So today's Sport isn't the one you guys bought. Damn bean counters!
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
hawkguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 398
Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
Well this got out of hand. Haven't fired my PSA yet since it didn't come with a rear sight, and I haven't made it to the range yet either. I'll fill you in on my experiences when I do. Thanks y'all. Here's a couple pics.

Attachment 104570



Attachment 104571
With what you have in the pics, along with a scope (maybe on a QD mount) you could do most of the hunting I do here. You won't have the 3 1/2 inch chamber for geese or just the perfect deer rifle but you could sure get it done. Rifle hunting for squirrels may be out tho. :P
__________________
p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 3,551
Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default

Quote:
Quentin;1270794]No disrespect taken, hawkguy. It is a pleasure debating with you because you're a gentleman. We can disagree but still respect each other. In the end the important thing that we're pleased with the rifle we chose.
thank you, very true.

Quote:
Oh and one thing we didn't touch on earlier, the Sport you and others bought has an interesting 1:8 5R barrel that has been dropped for a lesser barrel. So today's Sport isn't the one you guys bought. Damn bean counters!
i have heard this & what a disappointment it is! who was the bright bulb that made this decision? S&W was selling the sport like hotcakes and it had a stellar reputation placing it among the best money for an AR on the market.

like you said, some bean counter that was looking only at a quarterly bottom line vs long term profits. if they needed to re-coup a bit of cost, they should have just raised the price $25-50, and maintained the quality. but i have always thought keeping long term loyal costumers makes more business sense than squeezing an extra buck TODAY. not a sentiment that many big businesses agree with these days.
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
m&p 15 sport rob1990 AR-15 Discussion 26 03-25-2013 12:51 AM
S&w mp15 sport kymike AR-15 Discussion 48 09-25-2012 03:44 AM
S&w mp15-22 spetsnaz .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 13 08-11-2012 02:06 AM
Sw mp15 moe JonM AR-15 Discussion 3 07-13-2012 05:49 PM
m&p 15 sport Subcomp9 AR-15 Discussion 19 06-25-2012 03:40 AM