Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA or MP15 Sport?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

and doesn't the fact that SO MANY sport owners love their gun speak volumes?

i admit, i was looking for a budget priced AR, because i wasn't even sure i liked the platform. i was looking to get some firsthand experience with AR's.

i ended up with the S&W sport because the reviews on it are like 95%+ positive! and add me to the list, because it has been a very quality firearm from my point of view.

i think some owners (certainly not anyone specifically) of the so called "higher quality" AR's are very reluctant to admit or acknowledge that some of the budget priced AR's are very good guns, and in some cases perhaps as good as guns that cost much more. i think this is the root of the argument here, and why this thread is still going.

imo, a gun like my S&W sport has proven to me it can do anything any other AR can do. it is very reliable and accurate. it is a quality gun made by a trusted (usa) manufacturer.

congrats to op on the purchase.....i am sure the psa will be a fine rifle as well. it is another gun that gets high praise for quality and value.
Thanks. I can't wait to get it to the range. Initially, I wanted the Sport, but wanted to be sure I was getting the BEST bang for my buck. I heard everything positive about the PSA so I just went for it.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #82

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
Thanks. I can't wait to get it to the range. Initially, I wanted the Sport, but wanted to be sure I was getting the BEST bang for my buck. I heard everything positive about the PSA so I just went for it.
i've only heard good stuff about psa as well. i imagine you got a great rifle.

have fun at the range, that's what its all about bro!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #83

Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
... i think some owners (certainly not anyone specifically) of the so called "higher quality" AR's are very reluctant to admit or acknowledge that some of the budget priced AR's are very good guns, and in some cases perhaps as good as guns that cost much more. i think this is the root of the argument here, and why this thread is still going.

imo, a gun like my S&W sport has proven to me it can do anything any other AR can do. it is very reliable and accurate. it is a quality gun made by a trusted (usa) manufacturer.

congrats to op on the purchase.....i am sure the psa will be a fine rifle as well. it is another gun that gets high praise for quality and value.
The Sport is a decent AR. But as people put more thought into it, odds are they may long for a better M&P-15 and we all know S&W sells them but of course at a higher price. Same goes for Stag, they'll sell you a comspec AR or you can pay $100 for their Plus Package to milspec the rifle. (Which is good since you at least have the choice.)

But let's forget the higher cost ARs, the real issue here (back on topic) is you have the Sport and some PSA models at roughly the same price point but with PSA you can choose your barrel length, barrel material, twist rate, gas length, BCG, etc. It still amazes me that with all the top notch information out there about building or configuring ARs (the AR-15 Primer here for example) that so many people buy a bean counter's configuration when you could have had it your way, and at the same price range if you chose PSA (as Swazi did).

The reason some of us snobs keep pounding away at this is we all influence new buyers and I for one want both sides of the story told. Oh well, it's your rifle, have it your way.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 06-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1036 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Here's the new PSA torture test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g2rG8xXfDbg

Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #85

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Temecula eh? Why bother going to the range. You are probably a stone's throw from BLM land. Scoot out to the desert and shoot for free!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The Sport is a decent AR. But as people put more thought into it, odds are they may long for a better M&P-15 and we all know S&W sells them but of course at a higher price. Same goes for Stag, they'll sell you a comspec AR or you can pay $100 for their Plus Package to milspec the rifle. (Which is good since you at least have the choice.)

But let's forget the higher cost ARs, the real issue here (back on topic) is you have the Sport and some PSA models at roughly the same price point but with PSA you can choose your barrel length, barrel material, twist rate, gas length, BCG, etc. It still amazes me that with all the top notch information out there about building or configuring ARs (the AR-15 Primer here for example) that so many people buy a bean counter's configuration when you could have had it your way, and at the same price range if you chose PSA (as Swazi did).

The reason some of us snobs keep pounding away at this is we all influence new buyers and I for one want both sides of the story told. Oh well, it's your rifle, have it your way.
i never meant to call anyone a snob, and certainly meant no disrespect. the op asked a question and you answered to the best of your knowledge (which i will admit, is way beyond mine). please continue to tell both sides of the story, it helps eveyone to have the most information possible to make a decision.

my only disagreement would be that you call the sport a "decent" AR. i think it is an outstanding AR at the price point. i researched it thouroughly, and virtually every review (professional or beginner) seems to be impressed with the sport. i have personally had great expierences with it, so i concur!

i know "you get what you pay for..." holds true very often. but once in awhile you get products that perform better than the price tag, and imo S&W got it right with the sport, a very good balance of quality and price.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1036 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Temecula eh? Why bother going to the range. You are probably a stone's throw from BLM land. Scoot out to the desert and shoot for free!
I remember when Temecula was a small town with rolling hills surrounding it and a house there was under $100k.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #88

Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i never meant to call anyone a snob, and certainly meant no disrespect. the op asked a question and you answered to the best of your knowledge (which i will admit, is way beyond mine). please continue to tell both sides of the story, it helps eveyone to have the most information possible to make a decision.

my only disagreement would be that you call the sport a "decent" AR. i think it is an outstanding AR at the price point. i researched it thouroughly, and virtually every review (professional or beginner) seems to be impressed with the sport. i have personally had great expierences with it, so i concur!

i know "you get what you pay for..." holds true very often. but once in awhile you get products that perform better than the price tag, and imo S&W got it right with the sport, a very good balance of quality and price.
No disrespect taken, hawkguy. It is a pleasure debating with you because you're a gentleman. We can disagree but still respect each other. In the end the important thing that we're pleased with the rifle we chose.

Oh and one thing we didn't touch on earlier, the Sport you and others bought has an interesting 1:8 5R barrel that has been dropped for a lesser barrel. So today's Sport isn't the one you guys bought. Damn bean counters!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #89

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
Well this got out of hand. Haven't fired my PSA yet since it didn't come with a rear sight, and I haven't made it to the range yet either. I'll fill you in on my experiences when I do. Thanks y'all. Here's a couple pics.

Attachment 104570

Attachment 104571
With what you have in the pics, along with a scope (maybe on a QD mount) you could do most of the hunting I do here. You won't have the 3 1/2 inch chamber for geese or just the perfect deer rifle but you could sure get it done. Rifle hunting for squirrels may be out tho. :P

Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #90

Quote:
Quentin;1270794]No disrespect taken, hawkguy. It is a pleasure debating with you because you're a gentleman. We can disagree but still respect each other. In the end the important thing that we're pleased with the rifle we chose.
thank you, very true.

Quote:
Oh and one thing we didn't touch on earlier, the Sport you and others bought has an interesting 1:8 5R barrel that has been dropped for a lesser barrel. So today's Sport isn't the one you guys bought. Damn bean counters!
i have heard this & what a disappointment it is! who was the bright bulb that made this decision? S&W was selling the sport like hotcakes and it had a stellar reputation placing it among the best money for an AR on the market.

like you said, some bean counter that was looking only at a quarterly bottom line vs long term profits. if they needed to re-coup a bit of cost, they should have just raised the price $25-50, and maintained the quality. but i have always thought keeping long term loyal costumers makes more business sense than squeezing an extra buck TODAY. not a sentiment that many big businesses agree with these days.