Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA or MP15 Sport?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
Quentin....where did I tell you to use someone else's rifle to take a training course? I asked you if you had used a Sport in such a situation. Never told you to go get one and shoot it.

You also made an assumption that I own a Sport....at least I'll take the "You Sport guys love your rifle, I get that" as meaning as such. If you didn't mean that, my bad for reading what your wrote. I don't own a Sport.

I simply asked you a question as to if you had ran it hard for a few days to see if you really had any first hand experience with it. You answered my question. Thank you

Edit: Also, I've not shot a course with a BCM or a DD. Not sure why you are asking since I never asked anything about another AR platform other than if you had any first hand experience with a Sport. I guess you mistakenly thought I was a Sport owner. No harm, no foul.
So what's your point? Do I have to own and fire thousands of rounds through every low end AR configured by bean counters in order to know for sure that they are limited? Can I not make assumptions by reading specs and looking at examples and comparing with other brands?

How about you take the time to add something constructive to the topic? I'm sure you've noticed that PSA offers multiple configurations, including barrel length, weight, profile and gas length, at roughly the price of the Sport. Again, I think the OP made a wise choice and that we gave good advice. Well some of us, I don't know what everyone's game was.

As far as what you own, I really don't care nor did I say you have a Sport. I was talking in generalities - that Sport owners like their gun.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 06-07-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #72

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well this got out of hand. Haven't fired my PSA yet since it didn't come with a rear sight, and I haven't made it to the range yet either. I'll fill you in on my experiences when I do. Thanks y'all. Here's a couple pics.

image-1026303023.jpg

image-23356409.jpg

Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #73

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74

I don't know Quentin personally but from my short time here on this forum I can tell that he is knowledgable in the AR platform. If he says he has a S&W I'm sure he's shot it enough to know how well it will perfom and what to expect.

That being said a lot of things mentioned are only 1 persons opinion and should not be taken as fact. If you trust you rifle then that is all that matters. Try not to get too caught up in the opions of others. Not every rifle has to be brand "X" with a midlength gas system with parts assembled from "X" supplier. There are good companies out there that serve the average Joe just fine. Most of us will not see "combat" conditions with our rifles.

We shouldn't be attacking each other on these forums. We all need to be sticking togther in these times.
Well said pal, I agree 100% with ya.

S&W M&P Sport
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE Grip
B.A.D lever
Bi Pod
Ladder rails
Quad rails
Single point sling/ Adaptor
Red Dot, light & Laser
Fore Grip

Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

The M&P Sport is one of, if not the best, entry level AR15. The lack of a dust cover and forward assist are not important if you are only doing recreational shooting. My friend has one and hasn't had a problem in 3 years. I've shot it multiple times and am very impressed with the quality considering he paid under $700.

That being said, I own a PSA. I built it myself but all parts came from PSA. As far as I can tell, the fit and finish is a notch above the PSA. The big difference is accuracy. I shoot sub-MOA with a 1.5-4x20 Leupy Mark AR Scope on the PSA with 55gr ammo. The best group I've had with the Sport is 1.25 MOA. With a 3-9x40 Nikon P223.

Both are great rifles. But if you have a little extra cash, go with Palmetto State Armory.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #75

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

"The M&P Sport is one of, if not the best, entry level AR15. The lack of a dust cover and forward assist are not important if you are only doing recreational shooting."

I can't figure out what these items add from a practical view to a home defense carbine, and don't see why the lack of them makes any gun a "recreation only" weapon. It's kinda like the bayo lug, the best use I've found for it is a neat little rail called the BLAM that mounts on it. And I actually own a bayonet.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 06-07-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #76

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
Well this got out of hand. Haven't fired my PSA yet since it didn't come with a rear sight, and I haven't made it to the range yet either. I'll fill you in on my experiences when I do. Thanks y'all. Here's a couple pics.

Attachment 104570

Attachment 104571

She sure is a beauty! Gratz Dude!

Where in Cali are you?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #77

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post

Attachment 104570

Attachment 104571

Looks good! What rear sight are you buying? MBUS?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #78

Liked 2357 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Quentin;1269913]
As far as what you own, I really don't care nor did I say you have a Sport. I was talking in generalities - that Sport owners like their gun.
and doesn't the fact that SO MANY sport owners love their gun speak volumes?

i admit, i was looking for a budget priced AR, because i wasn't even sure i liked the platform. i was looking to get some firsthand experience with AR's.

i ended up with the S&W sport because the reviews on it are like 95%+ positive! and add me to the list, because it has been a very quality firearm from my point of view.

i think some owners (certainly not anyone specifically) of the so called "higher quality" AR's are very reluctant to admit or acknowledge that some of the budget priced AR's are very good guns, and in some cases perhaps as good as guns that cost much more. i think this is the root of the argument here, and why this thread is still going.

imo, a gun like my S&W sport has proven to me it can do anything any other AR can do. it is very reliable and accurate. it is a quality gun made by a trusted (usa) manufacturer.

congrats to op on the purchase.....i am sure the psa will be a fine rifle as well. it is another gun that gets high praise for quality and value.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #79

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki

She sure is a beauty! Gratz Dude!

Where in Cali are you?
Southwest Riverside County. Temecula.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #80

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Looks good! What rear sight are you buying? MBUS?
I'm thinking just a Magpul. I don't want to spend too much on iron sights. I'd prefer to put in a little extra cash for an Eotech.

Last edited by swazispencer; 06-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.
p35bhp55 Likes This