PSA or MP15 Sport? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

PSA or MP15 Sport?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arizona98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 104
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
BTW, I own five S&W firearms and two by Taurus.
The question was "Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?"

It wasn't about how many S&W or Taurus firearms do you own.

So, how many rounds down range with a S&W Sport? Ever take a training class with one...maybe 3 or 4 days of continuous hard use? That is firsthand experience, IMO.
__________________
Stu
www.stu-offroad.com
arizona98tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
flybuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 184
Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

OK, I've now put a few hundred rounds downrange with the Sport. Flawless and very accurate. I also own taurus pistols and have shot thousands of rounds through those but it's apples to oranges. A Sport will not compromise anyone on home defense.
I surf the forums to gain info from those with more experience. Sometimes though, I think that AR means "Always Right"
flybuddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,355
Liked 1044 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
The question was "Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?"

It wasn't about how many S&W or Taurus firearms do you own.

So, how many rounds down range with a S&W Sport? Ever take a training class with one...maybe 3 or 4 days of continuous hard use? That is firsthand experience, IMO.
I don't know Quentin personally but from my short time here on this forum I can tell that he is knowledgable in the AR platform. If he says he has a S&W I'm sure he's shot it enough to know how well it will perfom and what to expect.

That being said a lot of things mentioned are only 1 persons opinion and should not be taken as fact. If you trust you rifle then that is all that matters. Try not to get too caught up in the opions of others. Not every rifle has to be brand "X" with a midlength gas system with parts assembled from "X" supplier. There are good companies out there that serve the average Joe just fine. Most of us will not see "combat" conditions with our rifles.

We shouldn't be attacking each other on these forums. We all need to be sticking togther in these times.

Last edited by pawjr74; 06-05-2013 at 04:28 PM.
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 440
Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
The OP said that he had already made his purchase and was simply trying to justify it. To that end, let me add the following.

Humans make most large purchases the same way: they purchase emotionally and then justify it rationally. This is not a failing, I just mention it as a point of fact.

When you're standing at the counter at your LGS or the table at the gun show, there are intangibles that you notice that may not show up if you are staring at a web page or list of parts. The fit and finish may look superior, or, in handling it, you may find the balance to be perfect for you. Even staring at a web page, you might read something that triggers your decision to buy that particular rifle. Whatever the reason, you decide at that moment to complete the purchase.

You initially get that rush of spending a lot of money on a major purchase. It feels good! When the rush wears off, all of a sudden "Buyer's Remorse" sets in. "Did I make the right decision?" "What if there was a better item that was cheaper?" "Why didn't I ask someone that knows more than I do?" And therefore the forum loads up with a dearth of these posts looking for support of their purchase. Again, there is nothing wrong with this as it is simply human nature.

You will notice that no one ever gets on the forums and says, "I just spent $2,600 (or whatever the going rate is) on a (fill in fully-custom brand you love) rifle and I'm not sure I made the right choice." That is because this is a best-of-everything, no-compromise item. The buyer has sacrificed a large sum of money to purchase the absolute best in the market. However, in today's economy, most purchases by middle-class citizens are a compromise because they can't afford a weapon equal in cost to four house payments! Therefore, either sub-consciously or through judicious budgeting, they pick a price point. They shop the LGS and Armslist and local gun shows looking for the perfect rifle at that price point. When one is finally chosen, the above scenario of buyer's high/regret/justification begins. Note that this goes away once a buyer has more experience with the same product, so you people that have more ARs than teeth no longer experience this. :-)

So, OP and everyone else in the same situation, here's the best answer I can offer: if it is your first time with this action/caliber/platform, only buy the basic weapon which you can afford, with the caveat that it be fully upgradeable. This will save money, making it easier to resell if you don't like it (for those of you who just gasped, Yes, there are those that don't like the AR platform and/or the .223 caliber!) but giving you your initial experiences with the weapons platform. As you shoot it and gain experience, add what you NEED, not what everyone thinks is the hottest thing. This is easier on your budget and your regret level. After a year of shooting and modifying, your wallet won't be hurt as much and you'll have THE perfect rifle - for you! Isn't that what you started out shopping for in the first place?

And for the connoisseurs out there, there is nothing wrong with multiple guns of the same caliber or platform as long as your budget and marriage can handle it! But you have to admit that you acquired these after you had experience with the platform and could make intelligent decisions based on your experiences. It is best for a new buyer with very little experience to have as little invested as possible in a large purchase until he knows what he wants.

So, buy what you are COMFORTABLE affording, budget for 500-1,000 rounds of ammunition, shoot the heck out of it, HAVE FUN, then make your own decisions as to what you need and can afford to modify or improve it. You will be much happier with no regrets.
This is the way the majority of my firearms are put together, it is by far the easiest way to budget our expensive hobby. BUT, over time gun makers will catch on and catch up. My Novak customized 1991A1 probably cost over 1600 in about 2000. Now I could probably go buy the same class gun with more features for under a grand....I've had it all those years tho.
p35bhp55 is offline  
TekGreg Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,883
Liked 1196 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
The question was "Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?"

It wasn't about how many S&W or Taurus firearms do you own.

So, how many rounds down range with a S&W Sport? Ever take a training class with one...maybe 3 or 4 days of continuous hard use? That is firsthand experience, IMO.
Yes of course a few Sports turn up at the range here and there and I have fired a few rounds out of curiousity. And I've shotgunned them to peek at the receivers, BCG, FCG, etc.

But why would I take a training class or waste ammo with a Sport I don't own, especially when I have BCM and Daniel Defense? Your logic escapes me. Let's put it another way, have you taken a class with a BCM or DD... or have 3 or 4 days of continuous hard use with someone else's rifle? Would you waste your ammo like that using someone else's gun? Other than serving your country or community, I doubt someone else is footing your ammo fund.

I pointed out that I own S&W and Taurus just to show I don't necessarily hate them. No other reason. You Sport guys love your rifle, I get that. I'm glad for you but it doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and get one, it's too economized for me. I like choice, generally I don't care for off the rack ARs.

Again, the thread topic was which to get - Sport or PSA. The OP chose as TekGreg pointed out. I think he made a wise decision.
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #66
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 2,003
Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
This is the way the majority of my firearms are put together, it is by far the easiest way to budget our expensive hobby. BUT, over time gun makers will catch on and catch up. My Novak customized 1991A1 probably cost over 1600 in about 2000. Now I could probably go buy the same class gun with more features for under a grand....I've had it all those years tho.
P35, Whenever you buy consumer items as soon as they become available, you're known as an "Early Adopter." This always carries a premium price, but you are correct in that you get the very first experiences with the item and the longest use, if you decide to keep it. If you sell soon after you get it, you can often sell to others at the same premium. Therefore, as long as you can afford the premium, you usually benefit for paying it.

Usually, unless I absolutely know I want a new product, I am an "Early Majority" purchaser - I let the Early Adopters test it, prove it and the price to fall a little. It never hurts to give something new a little time to shake out. If I don't like it, though, I have to discount the item deeper to sell to the public.

Either way, there is a lot of "Cool Factor" in owning something new before the majority of the market! You just have to decide if it's a privilege for which you want to pay.
__________________
.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 440
Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
P35, Whenever you buy consumer items as soon as they become available, you're known as an "Early Adopter." This always carries a premium price, but you are correct in that you get the very first experiences with the item and the longest use, if you decide to keep it. If you sell soon after you get it, you can often sell to others at the same premium. Therefore, as long as you can afford the premium, you usually benefit for paying it.

Usually, unless I absolutely know I want a new product, I am an "Early Majority" purchaser - I let the Early Adopters test it, prove it and the price to fall a little. It never hurts to give something new a little time to shake out. If I don't like it, though, I have to discount the item deeper to sell to the public.

Either way, there is a lot of "Cool Factor" in owning something new before the majority of the market! You just have to decide if it's a privilege for which you want to pay.
Yeah, that's not exactly me. Bought the gun used for 375.00 figured out what I wanted sent them a work order and waited. Don't know if they even do this anymore, heard they didn't. From a week in week out point of view buying the bottom and building up is easier. From a total cost point of view it's often better to get as much of what you want as you can right off. I bought the S&W and a 308 Bushy ORC from Wallyworld after the panic. Paid 2078.00 tax and all for the pair. S&W remains stock but the Bushy wasn't what I wanted as purchased and I probably have 2500. in it not counting the BoBro and VXR on top of it. There are a lot of neat parts in it now but I could have bought a comparable item in one shot and maybe saved some money if I could have planned ahead. Let's just admit it, we are gun nuts, we don't have to buy all this stuff to protect the house, we just want it.
p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arizona98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 104
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
I don't know Quentin personally but from my short time here on this forum I can tell that he is knowledgable in the AR platform. If he says he has a S&W I'm sure he's shot it enough to know how well it will perfom and what to expect.

That being said a lot of things mentioned are only 1 persons opinion and should not be taken as fact. If you trust you rifle then that is all that matters. Try not to get too caught up in the opions of others. Not every rifle has to be brand "X" with a midlength gas system with parts assembled from "X" supplier. There are good companies out there that serve the average Joe just fine. Most of us will not see "combat" conditions with our rifles.

We shouldn't be attacking each other on these forums. We all need to be sticking togther in these times.
Quentin was asked....
Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?
Ever shot one?
Ever tore one apart and inspected it?
What makes it low quality?


Quentin's direct response to that post was....
Again, you're the one saying low quality so I'll leave it up to you to address that.
BTW, I own five S&W firearms and two by Taurus.


pawjr74, Quentin never said he had any first hand experience with the Sport. He never said he shot one, he never said ht tore one apart, etc.

I then asked him he if had any first hand experience too. When people avoid answers to simple and direct questions, it spikes my curiosity. You responded saying that if he said he had a S&W, he's shot it enough to know about it.

I guess I missed where he said he had one. It's nice that Quentin has knowledge of ARs. I simply asked about his knowledge of the Sport.

If you think I am attacking anyone in this forum, then you are confused. Asking a question of someone is not attacking them. Pointing out something to a person is not attacking them. And for the record, I am not attacking you. I am bringing to your attention an assumption you made that I believe to be incorrect.
__________________
Stu
www.stu-offroad.com
arizona98tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arizona98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 104
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yes of course a few Sports turn up at the range here and there and I have fired a few rounds out of curiousity. And I've shotgunned them to peek at the receivers, BCG, FCG, etc.

But why would I take a training class or waste ammo with a Sport I don't own, especially when I have BCM and Daniel Defense? Your logic escapes me. Let's put it another way, have you taken a class with a BCM or DD... or have 3 or 4 days of continuous hard use with someone else's rifle? Would you waste your ammo like that using someone else's gun? Other than serving your country or community, I doubt someone else is footing your ammo fund.

I pointed out that I own S&W and Taurus just to show I don't necessarily hate them. No other reason. You Sport guys love your rifle, I get that. I'm glad for you but it doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and get one, it's too economized for me. I like choice, generally I don't care for off the rack ARs.

Again, the thread topic was which to get - Sport or PSA. The OP chose as TekGreg pointed out. I think he made a wise decision.
Quentin....where did I tell you to use someone else's rifle to take a training course? I asked you if you had used a Sport in such a situation. Never told you to go get one and shoot it.

You also made an assumption that I own a Sport....at least I'll take the "You Sport guys love your rifle, I get that" as meaning as such. If you didn't mean that, my bad for reading what your wrote. I don't own a Sport.

I simply asked you a question as to if you had ran it hard for a few days to see if you really had any first hand experience with it. You answered my question. Thank you

Edit: Also, I've not shot a course with a BCM or a DD. Not sure why you are asking since I never asked anything about another AR platform other than if you had any first hand experience with a Sport. I guess you mistakenly thought I was a Sport owner. No harm, no foul.
__________________
Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Last edited by arizona98tj; 06-07-2013 at 02:37 AM.
arizona98tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,355
Liked 1044 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj

Quentin was asked....
Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?
Ever shot one?
Ever tore one apart and inspected it?
What makes it low quality?

Quentin's direct response to that post was....
Again, you're the one saying low quality so I'll leave it up to you to address that.
BTW, I own five S&W firearms and two by Taurus.

pawjr74, Quentin never said he had any first hand experience with the Sport. He never said he shot one, he never said ht tore one apart, etc.

I then asked him he if had any first hand experience too. When people avoid answers to simple and direct questions, it spikes my curiosity. You responded saying that if he said he had a S&W, he's shot it enough to know about it.

I guess I missed where he said he had one. It's nice that Quentin has knowledge of ARs. I simply asked about his knowledge of the Sport.

If you think I am attacking anyone in this forum, then you are confused. Asking a question of someone is not attacking them. Pointing out something to a person is not attacking them. And for the record, I am not attacking you. I am bringing to your attention an assumption you made that I believe to be incorrect.
I'm pretty easy going and not easily offended so no worries. I get what you're saying.

My main point was just for guys to not worry so much about others opinions. I own a Del Ton which I feel is a good rifle for the price. Del Ton seems to gets knocked a lot on the forums yet when you see the feed back from other Del Ton owners it's all pretty good reviews. It seems most of the people knocking the "off" brands/models don't own them like you said.

(By the way where abouts are you? I'm out here in Gilbert - assuming AZ from your name)
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
m&p 15 sport rob1990 AR-15 Discussion 26 03-25-2013 12:51 AM
S&w mp15 sport kymike AR-15 Discussion 48 09-25-2012 03:44 AM
S&w mp15-22 spetsnaz .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 13 08-11-2012 02:06 AM
Sw mp15 moe JonM AR-15 Discussion 3 07-13-2012 05:49 PM
m&p 15 sport Subcomp9 AR-15 Discussion 19 06-25-2012 03:40 AM



Newest Threads