You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

PSA or MP15 Sport?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,768
Liked 642 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Well the odds are the Sport will do the job. Also, odds are that a Taurus 9mm will too. But a lot of folks like to have something better than a Taurus or a cost cut to the bone AR. It's up to you.
Q, most of the time I respect your opinion but you are wrong. It's ridiculous to think that S&W, one of the top manufacturers, won't make the best product at their set price. The rifle is dripping with quality for its price point ($600-$700).
It's ridiculous that you compare it to a Taurus pistol, Taurus has come a long way BTW. Please stop playing the role that (my AR is better than yours, and I know because I said so), its not flattering.
kryptar19 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northwest
Posts: 7,470
Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Q, most of the time I respect your opinion but you are wrong. It's ridiculous to think that S&W, one of the top manufacturers, won't make the best product at their set price. The rifle is dripping with quality for its price point ($600-$700).
It's ridiculous that you compare it to a Taurus pistol, Taurus has come a long way BTW. Please stop playing the role that (my AR is better than yours, and I know because I said so), its not flattering.
I suggest you reread my post. The things you're saying I did not say. Is there a reason you're playing that role?
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,768
Liked 642 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I suggest you reread my post. The things you're saying I did not say. Is there a reason you're playing that role?
You are saying everything to call the Sport a low quality rifle, but avoiding taking the time to type it.
kryptar19 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,768
Liked 642 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Default

Instead of useless back and forth...

Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?
Ever shot one?
Ever tore one apart and inspected it?
What makes it low quality?
kryptar19 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northwest
Posts: 7,470
Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
You are saying everything to call the Sport a low quality rifle, but avoiding taking the time to type it.
I said it's cut to the bone. You're the one talking about low quality. Again I suggest you read my post.
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northwest
Posts: 7,470
Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Instead of useless back and forth...

Do you have any firsthand experience with the S&W Sport?
Ever shot one?
Ever tore one apart and inspected it?
What makes it low quality?
Again, you're the one saying low quality so I'll leave it up to you to address that.

BTW, I own five S&W firearms and two by Taurus.
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Powellwj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki

For home protection, I'd step it up a notch or two.....just my opinion.
I have had the MP Sport for about 9 months and it has been excellent in every respect! I also have a Colt AR and I can't tell which is better!
Powellwj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,768
Liked 642 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Again, you're the one saying low quality so I'll leave it up to you to address that.

BTW, I own five S&W firearms and two by Taurus.
I guess it's the way your post is written, I don't know. Maybe it's the way I'm reading it..

In the long run I guess it dose t matter.
kryptar19 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hickory Ridge, AR
Posts: 479
Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well the odds are the Sport will do the job. Also, odds are that a Taurus 9mm will too. But a lot of folks like to have something better than a Taurus or a cost cut to the bone AR. It's up to you.
I have to disagree with the Taurus comparison. I used to own a PT 111, PT 145, and a 99 and there were obvious shortcomings with them as weapons. Mostly in the magazine department. I don't see the same basic function problems with the S&W. I have an RAA UTE with an E.O. Tech and light and AFG, it's a mid length and more "serious" I guess but I can't help but think the S&W would stand up just fine in an across the room or down the driveway encounter.

BTW if gunsmiths weren't so busy and I hadn't hurt myself so bad with my 308 AR project I would have had that barrel cut and an Izzy attached, it just looks funny, would also like an RRA half quad free float that goes right over the gas block and just put a flip front sight on the tube. But how does that go....The best plans of mice and men to get laid, or something like that. Maybe later in the year.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 06-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.
p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #60
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 2,003
Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Default

The OP said that he had already made his purchase and was simply trying to justify it. To that end, let me add the following.

Humans make most large purchases the same way: they purchase emotionally and then justify it rationally. This is not a failing, I just mention it as a point of fact.

When you're standing at the counter at your LGS or the table at the gun show, there are intangibles that you notice that may not show up if you are staring at a web page or list of parts. The fit and finish may look superior, or, in handling it, you may find the balance to be perfect for you. Even staring at a web page, you might read something that triggers your decision to buy that particular rifle. Whatever the reason, you decide at that moment to complete the purchase.

You initially get that rush of spending a lot of money on a major purchase. It feels good! When the rush wears off, all of a sudden "Buyer's Remorse" sets in. "Did I make the right decision?" "What if there was a better item that was cheaper?" "Why didn't I ask someone that knows more than I do?" And therefore the forum loads up with a dearth of these posts looking for support of their purchase. Again, there is nothing wrong with this as it is simply human nature.

You will notice that no one ever gets on the forums and says, "I just spent $2,600 (or whatever the going rate is) on a (fill in fully-custom brand you love) rifle and I'm not sure I made the right choice." That is because this is a best-of-everything, no-compromise item. The buyer has sacrificed a large sum of money to purchase the absolute best in the market. However, in today's economy, most purchases by middle-class citizens are a compromise because they can't afford a weapon equal in cost to four house payments! Therefore, either sub-consciously or through judicious budgeting, they pick a price point. They shop the LGS and Armslist and local gun shows looking for the perfect rifle at that price point. When one is finally chosen, the above scenario of buyer's high/regret/justification begins. Note that this goes away once a buyer has more experience with the same product, so you people that have more ARs than teeth no longer experience this. :-)

So, OP and everyone else in the same situation, here's the best answer I can offer: if it is your first time with this action/caliber/platform, only buy the basic weapon which you can afford, with the caveat that it be fully upgradeable. This will save money, making it easier to resell if you don't like it (for those of you who just gasped, Yes, there are those that don't like the AR platform and/or the .223 caliber!) but giving you your initial experiences with the weapons platform. As you shoot it and gain experience, add what you NEED, not what everyone thinks is the hottest thing. This is easier on your budget and your regret level. After a year of shooting and modifying, your wallet won't be hurt as much and you'll have THE perfect rifle - for you! Isn't that what you started out shopping for in the first place?

And for the connoisseurs out there, there is nothing wrong with multiple guns of the same caliber or platform as long as your budget and marriage can handle it! But you have to admit that you acquired these after you had experience with the platform and could make intelligent decisions based on your experiences. It is best for a new buyer with very little experience to have as little invested as possible in a large purchase until he knows what he wants.

So, buy what you are COMFORTABLE affording, budget for 500-1,000 rounds of ammunition, shoot the heck out of it, HAVE FUN, then make your own decisions as to what you need and can afford to modify or improve it. You will be much happier with no regrets.
__________________
.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
TekGreg is offline  
p35bhp55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
m&p 15 sport rob1990 AR-15 Discussion 26 03-25-2013 12:51 AM
S&w mp15 sport kymike AR-15 Discussion 48 09-25-2012 03:44 AM
S&w mp15-22 spetsnaz .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 13 08-11-2012 02:06 AM
Sw mp15 moe JonM AR-15 Discussion 3 07-13-2012 05:49 PM
m&p 15 sport Subcomp9 AR-15 Discussion 19 06-25-2012 03:40 AM