Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA midlength upper/weights of uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah they're good but you have the receiver in hand, so take a look at it and compare to others. It's easy to tell how good it is. Cerro Forge (keyhole mark) and Cardinal Forge (Cardinal head mark) are good too.
Well since I have newly aquired BRD from hanging around here lately, this is currently my only upper, so nothing to compare to at the moment. I have a VLTOR on the way the though

Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have both PSA Barrels. The bottom one has the FN stamp that you can nearly see. Its Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN

p1010907.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 196 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Thx for the logo answers guys.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #24

Liked 914 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
Well since I have newly aquired BRD from hanging around here lately, this is currently my only upper, so nothing to compare to at the moment. I have a VLTOR on the way the though
I wouldn't worry about Anchor Harvey, every one I've seen has been good. I like their forge mark too. If you look close at that splintered A you'll notice that both parts make an A while the the bottom by itself really is an H. Clever.

The main things I look at in an upper is how well its M4 cuts mate up with the barrel extension ramps. My DD, BCM and PSA are close to perfect so the square forge mark is a good one to have. Other things I like, even though mainly cosmetic, are that the little cap on the upper lines up with the magazine catch channel in the lower and smooth beveling of pivot and takedown tabs. And of course a deep protective finish. (Though much of the cosmetic stuff is done after the forging.)

Anyway, take a look at how your feed ramps line up, occasionally you'll see too much mismatch. Being BCM though, I'd be shocked if your upper is a problem. Of course mismatches could be in the barrel extension too but you'd hope the barrel makers get that part right by now.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-26-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Im not a big fan of any of the laser etching on anything to be honest with ya . I fill all the etching on mine with black grease pen when I get them anyway , The BCG I leave alone its not a big deal I just dont like anything shiny on my rifles They could have come without and it wouldnt have bothered me one bit . I would say the blems probably have it on the side also
I tend to agree. BCM was one of the first etching their logo on everything but now you see it everywhere. In their defense I can see them doing it to discourage builders from putting crap parts in their receivers and to help ID their parts.

I don't know first hand but would expect a PSA logo on many blems. Blems probably are receivers scratched in house or returns that they can't sell as new. That happens to marked and unmarked receivers.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #26

I got tired of the thick M4 style handguards so tore through my closet until I found a thinner set I picked up at a gun show last year. They fit fine but no doubt get hotter than the M4 version since there's less of a gap to the barrel. The really nice thing - they weigh 5.1 oz vs. the M4's 8.6!

______

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #27

Next change, I removed the rifle extension/stock from my ArmaLite lower and put on a PSA carbine tube/H buffer I had in the closet. And an old ACS stock. The BCG pictured is ArmaLite but hopefully the BCM unit will get here tomorrow via Priority Mail.

(Edit: BCG came in today. Adjusted the total weight up 1/2 oz due to BCM's M16 carrier over ArmaLite's semiauto carrier.)

Here she is, another nice KISS rifle.
Total weight as pictured (except for the Lancer magazine) is 7# 2.0oz. Losing the full carry handle for an MBUS2 would drop 8oz but for now I like the look.

And here's the parts list so far:

Lower Receiver:
ArmaLite M15 Stripped Lower
ArmaLite Lower Parts Kit
PSA M4 Milspec Receiver Extension Kit/H-buffer
Magpul ACS stock

Upper Receiver:
PSA 16” Midlength 1:7 light government profile
BCM M16 Bolt Carrier Group
Daniel Defense Charging Handle
Midlength Handguards

Miscellaneous:

Colt A4 Carry Handle (Cardinal Forge)
Lancer Magazine

I have about $800 in the rifle.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 09-28-2012 at 12:56 AM.