Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA midlength upper/weights of uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Anchor Harvey Forge...
Oh man looks like u got a lemon.

Just kidding

Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Oh man looks like u got a lemon.

Just kidding
Oh crap man that's what I thought. Are they good?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #13

Liked 923 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Yeah they're good but you have the receiver in hand, so take a look at it and compare to others. It's easy to tell how good it is. Cerro Forge (keyhole mark) and Cardinal Forge (Cardinal head mark) are good too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #14

The MOE handguards are 8.7 oz. The PSA M4 handguards are 8.6. The ArmaLite non-M4 smaller handguards are 5.1. All midlength.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-27-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hrm, how would you explain the weight difference from the bcm and psa uppers? Are the milspec CH really that much heavier? No can't be. The are pretty much identical in weight. Did a Mbus sneak on board somewhere? Aaaaa u didn't do a chamber check and had a live round in the chamber!

Last edited by AgentTikki; 09-26-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #16

I don't know why they weigh the same! Surely a LW barrel weighs a few ounces less than the government profile... unless PSA is using polymer uppers...

Guess I should weigh them again, maybe I had my thumb on the scale.

______

Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #17

Ok, I did weigh again and realized I forgot the DD and BCM have Mossie Midnight Mount light mounts and QD sling mounts. Adjusting for that, their stripped weights are 1.4 oz less. The PSA upper came in exactly the same weight as before. I edited post #7 to reflect that. And here are the stripped URG weights again:

Each barreled upper is a 16" midlength with forward assist, dust cover, delta ring/full barrel/extension/nut/etc., F-marked FSB/bayonet lug/sling mount/end cap and A2 birdcage. No handguards, rear sight, BCG or charging handle.

Daniel Defense LW profile CHF (no sling mount under FSB) - 2# 9.5 oz.
BCM LW profile button rifled - 2# 11.5 oz.
PSA gov't profile button rifled - 2# 13.2 oz.
ArmaLite HBAR profile button rifled (with railed gas block/front sight, no bayonet lug) - 3# 5.1 oz.

Still, the difference between the BCM LW profile and PSA "gov't" profile is only 1.7 oz. Does anyone have accurate weights for pencil vs. gov't profile? Or have a PSA 16" pencil barrel midlength upper? I really thought there'd be at least 4-5 oz. difference. Ya learn something every day!

ETA:
I should add that PSA describes this as their "Mid-Length Light Profile 16'' CMV Chrome-Lined Stripped Upper" not a government profile (though it sure looks like one in the pictures above). The barrel must be slightly lighter than the average gov't profile barrel. Anyway, somehow they kept the weight within 2 oz. of the BCM pencil barrel.

Here's what PSA says about the barrel:

Quote:
Details
Barrel: 16" Chrome-lined, chrome moly vanadium. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. The special light profile barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated. Barrel is finished off with an .750" diameter F-marked front sight base with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider. Barrel is made for us right here in SC by FN Manufacturing.
16" Barrel length
Chrome moly vanadium barrel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist rate
chrome-lined bore
HPT/MPI Barrel
M4 Feed ramps
F-Marked Front sight post
A2 Flash Hider
Sling Loop
Standard Hand Guards w/ heat sheilds
Forged upper receiver
T-Marks
No logo
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/mid-light-profile-premium-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

______

Last edited by Quentin; 09-26-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quick question.. does PSA upper have PSA logo? The description says no logo. Does the blemished one have?
Thx. Btw.. nice weights review Q!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #19

No this upper does not have the PSA logo. I have seen pictures of others that do have the logo on the left side near the delta ring. The barrel is stamped Palmetto as seen in post #1.

______

Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

Im not a big fan of any of the laser etching on anything to be honest with ya . I fill all the etching on mine with black grease pen when I get them anyway , The BCG I leave alone its not a big deal I just dont like anything shiny on my rifles They could have come without and it wouldnt have bothered me one bit . I would say the blems probably have it on the side also