PSA midlength upper/weights of uppers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA midlength upper/weights of uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Default PSA midlength upper/weights of uppers

UPS delivered my new PSA midlength upper today. Took a while but I know they've been swamped from the Labor Day sale.

I have to say I'm impressed, it measures up pretty well with my BCM and Daniel Defense uppers which is saying something considering it was only $279 for the barreled upper with M4 handguards minus the BCG and charging handle. I would have bought their BCG but it was out of stock and still is. So I ordered BCM's which is in stock.

I ordered their light profile barrel, expecting a pencil barrel, but got the government profile as you can see in the pictures below. I debated sending it back but after weighing it, it's only two ounces heavier than my BCM LW upper. I thought the difference would be more like 5-6 oz. Looking again at their site, they call the gov't profile light profile and also have a pencil profile. They should use the proper terminology but in the end it's my mistake not theirs and after having the upper in my hands I like the balance and look.

Anyway, the quality is there in spades and the price is amazing. I have $440 in it with the BCG and a spare charging handle and a cut carry handle. It's going on my ArmaLite lower and I'm passing on my ArmaLite upper to my son-in-law who borrows that upper all the time.

I'm not the first to say it here but if you're looking for bang for the buck, definitely check out PSA!
And for a great deal take a look at this! http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-ulw-madness-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I noticed that my PSA, BCM and Daniel Defense upper receivers all have the square forge mark indicating they were forged at Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises. Quality was top notch on each and they have nice tapering that the ArmaLite upper does not have. Nothing bad about ArmaLite but there is a noticable difference.

Also I weighed four 16" midlength uppers on my Escali scale and am dropping in the data here.

Daniel Defense LW profile/DD M16 BCG/Gunfighter 4 CH/MOE handguards - 3# 15.3 oz.
BCM LW profile/BCM M16 BCG/Gunfighter 4 CH/MOE handguards - 4# 1.3 oz.
PSA gov't profile/BCM M16 BCG/DD CH/PSA M4 handguards - 4# 3.2 oz.
ArmaLite HBAR profile/ArmaLite AR-15 BCG/ArmaLite CH and handguards - 4# 10 oz.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Looks good and thanks for the review- look forward to the range report

What is the square forge mark you mentioned? I have a BCM so I'm curious to see what that is.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Yellow circle

blem3.jpg  

Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Yellow circle
Thanks I'll have to check mine, never noticed that.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

hey Q, would you be so kind as to throw out some numbers of your stripped uppers?
(No bcg, ch, handguards)

Or put a moe handguard and gunfighter and moe rear sight on the psa and compare (assuming your DD & BCM have a moe rear sight on them)

Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

When are you gonna break her in? I want pics! No no, how about a VIDEO.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
hey Q, would you be so kind as to throw out some numbers of your stripped uppers?
(No bcg, ch, handguards)

Or put a moe handguard and gunfighter and moe rear sight on the psa and compare (assuming your DD & BCM have a moe rear sight on them)

Sure! Stripped uppers... Uh, ya want me to pull the barrels?

Ok, here goes...

Each barreled upper is a 16" midlength with forward assist, dust cover, delta ring/full barrel/extension/nut/etc., F-marked FSB/bayonet lug/sling mount/end cap and A2 birdcage. No handguards, rear sight, BCG or charging handle.

Daniel Defense LW profile CHF (no sling mount under FSB) - 2# 9.5 oz. ***
BCM LW profile button rifled - 2# 11.5 oz. ***
PSA gov't profile button rifled - 2# 13.2 oz.
ArmaLite HBAR profile button rifled (with railed gas block/front sight, no bayonet lug) - 3# 5.1 oz.

I'm amazed the PSA gov't profile is so light compared to the two pencil barrels. (Still scratching my head on that one.) Anybody else got some figures?

ETA:
Oh, the GF Mod 4 weighs 1.2 oz, a standard DD charging handle is 1.1 oz. The DD and BCM M16 BCG each weigh 11.6 oz and the ArmaLite AR-15 BCG weighs 11.2 oz.

*** DD and BCM weights adjusted down 1.4 oz due to Mossie Midnight Mount light mount

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-26-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My BCM Upper has what looks like a broken A or angled H with a triangle over it, no square. What does that mean?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

OUTSTANDING. Thank you Q.

Now about pulling them barrels.......... o.O ...............I'm kidding big guy.

2.3 oz difference between the heaviest and lightest, not really much of a difference. We're talking about roughly 5% difference there. That's eye opening.

Also it seems like the MOE guards are lighter than the ovals. The only difference not account for is the weight of the charging handles but they are pretty darn light and won't change much.

How's the newbie shoot? Range report! plzzzzz

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
My BCM Upper has what looks like a broken A or angled H with a triangle over it, no square. What does that mean?
Anchor Harvey Forge...

______