Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA barrel unusual mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default PSA barrel unusual mark

After cleaning my 16" full PSA ar today I looked down the barrel and noticed an unusual mark. It appeared to be a gouge or chip of some sort in the top rifling. This is a chrome lined palmetto barrel not CHF but was still stated as being made by FN. This is a factory built complete upper w/ a NiB rguns bcg. This barrel has seen less than 400 rounds and was purchased in 2012. It has never seen a reload. I contacted PSA a short time ago with my description of the problem. Could a bad round have called this damage in such a small spot? The rest of the bore is bright, shines and looks perfect. Any ideas? Thanks everybody

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #2

Liked 1733 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Are you sure you are not seeing the gas port? Is it at the 12 o'clock position near the gas block?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #3

Liked 178 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 124

What is wrong with reloads? My AR hasn't seen but a couple mags at the most of factory ammo. The rest has been my reloads because they are better quality than factory.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
What is wrong with reloads? My AR hasn't seen but a couple mags at the most of factory ammo. The rest has been my reloads because they are better quality than factory.
Not all reloaders have the same standards, and reloads can void warranties with some companies. I do get what you're saying though.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Are you sure you are not seeing the gas port? Is it at the 12 o'clock position near the gas block?
i thought about this but it looks rough. That's where my concern is. I believe it could be the gas block but it's not a uniform siZe gouge and it appears rough.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettc View Post
i thought about this but it looks rough. That's where my concern is. I believe it could be the gas block but it's not a uniform siZe gouge and it appears rough.
So, do you see this 'chip' and the gas port? Or only one hole at the top of the barrel? Maybe a burr flaked off at the port.

I hit it...didn't I?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon
So, do you see this 'chip' and the gas port? Or only one hole at the top of the barrel? Maybe a burr flaked off at the port.
I guess my question is would a burr off the gas port be cause for concern? No I just see "the chip". I'm sorry I can't be more clear, I'm a little confused to.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Not uncommon for the chrome lining to have a burr when the gas port is drilled. A bullet can peel a little if the lining away at that point where it caught the edge. It is not a major cause for concern.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon
I just see the "chip". I would think the Gas port would have more of a uniform circle, while the mark I'm referring too seems to be a gouge. BUT it's in the same location as where the gas port would be. Should I be concerned about a "rough" gas port? Sorry I can't explain what I'm seeing more accurately

Old 11-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettc View Post
I just see the "chip". I would think the Gas port would have more of a uniform circle, while the mark I'm referring too seems to be a gouge. BUT it's in the same location as where the gas port would be. Should I be concerned about a "rough" gas port? Sorry I can't explain what I'm seeing more accurately
No, it is not a major cause for concern unless it continues to peel rapidly over a short period of time. There is usually some erosion at the gas port that happens over time. Again, as the port is drilled, it is not uncommon to have some burrs around the edge that bullets will catch and burnish in the beginning of the barrels life. This should stabilize a bit, but erosion will happen in any barrel at the gas port over time. It is only a major cause for concern if it continues to expand rapidly or if you are seeing an effect on accuracy, but there is enough barrel past the gas port to keep a bullet stable to the muzzle, that it should be unlikely to see an effect on accuracy.