PSA AR15, why the hate?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

PSA AR15, why the hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default PSA AR15, why the hate?

Before I get this started, no, I do NOT work for PSA. I work for a hospital in Florida and I own and operate a small knife sales business. I also build/ work on AR15's for friends, cutomers and members of things I will not allude to on the internet.
In my experience, I have owned/ do own complete PSA (duh), Spikes Tactical, LWRC (before Colt owned it), and Matrix Aero Space. The PSA, Spikes and LWRC are great guns. I but them thru function, no lube and dirty a$$ gun tests. 1 failure from the LWRC (of all things!) which was due to a new ammo I was trying from Freedom Munitions. It was their .223 remington reloads. The gun failed to extract. After spending 10 minutes trying to get the bolt open, I noticed that the casing caught in it, and a few more next up ready to shoot, had bends in the casings, making the round cocked at approximately 20 degrees. All in all, I'm gonna blame the ammo and myself for not inspecting all the rounds I brought that day.
The Matrix, I didn't even shoot the damn thing. I did not trust it. The upper reciever had alot of lateral give on the BCG (meaning the thing wiggled sideways, alot) and the forward assist would not engage the bcg. I traded it (the guy knew, we've traded before and since then) to someone who wanted an AR solely for target shooting. He has informed me that it works fine, using remington .223 from Super Walmart.
Beyond the one jam from crappy reloads from Freedom Munitions, all of my PSA, Spikes and one LWRC has performed very well. Apparentally even the Matrix.
Overall, the best for your wallet, I believe, and have owned quite a few, is PSA. I have never had a failure of any kind from one, and they are low cost and actually Mil-Spec. Truly, the best purchase I can think of. You have so many options, from 7" pistol length to 20" rifle length, from stainless (not mil-spec) to CHF (Cold Hammer Forged), with classic or magpul handguards to rail systems. I don't understand how anyone could go wrong. Please, if your in the market for a new AR15, do yourself a favor, and look into a PSA. I have built many Mil-Spec AR15 rifles for under $600, that function very well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4626 Times on 3124 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

I have not heard or read one word of hate for PSA... There are gun snobs, I guess AR snobs exist too.
TheSadPanda Likes This 
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Liked 392 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 11

AR's hold an attraction for some like legs do for legs n butt guys, or Ford vs. Cevy for some guys.

What may be anothers cup of tea may not be mine.
All I do is get meat for the table, so 2 shots is enough, anymore than 3 your embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 07-04-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 482 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 186

PSA is a fine AR. Like Mercator said, I have not seen any negatives about PSA. I have however seen some bad things about the PTAC stuff they sell on their site. I don't know if PTAC is a separate company, or the label for their bottom of the line stuff. My understanding is that the PTAC stuff isn't up to par on standards and tolerances. This is all I have heard, I don;t have any experience with it. But the regular PSA stuff is at or above par with it's quality and the prices can not be beaten.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1231 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1276

I have a lot of love for PSA. Good prices and good parts, though like TheSadPanda I avoid PTAC parts. I've had good luck with their Premium line and a Freedom AR-15 complete upper with SS barrel. The PTAC line looks pretty low end but I hear it works.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 07-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I haven't noticed a lot of negative comments about PSA here either. I've used both PSA and PTAC components to build several AR's without any problems. I've also bought several firearms from them at or below my LGS's cost. I know this because I asked if they could even get close, and they said buy it and they'd be happy getting the transfer fee.

Customer service from PSA is great. The worst thing I can say about PSA is that sometimes shipping can be slow, but I can live with that for the deals that I've gotten. Then again, ordered an AR lower on Saturday, and picked it up at my FFL dealer on Tuesday.

They are good to go in my book.

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog
But I can still bury a bone

Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have had colt, rock river arms, spikes, stag arms, psa, & dpms. Only the dpms had a couple of jams & needed a brake in period

Old 07-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You are all right, PSA rifles are good. I'm hoping that by making this thread, when people Google search "PSA AR Review" or something similar, that they find some good news. That's part of the reason of this thread.
The other being, I have people tell me all the dang time, in person, that PSA is a cheap knock off of S&W AR's or Ruger AR's. I keep getting blown bolts from people from the S&W and don't trust the Ruger. I had a Ruger scout in .308 that didn't like to load, regardless of who shot it.
I really hope that this post appears on search engines and people get into good things, that and the frustration of stupid people.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I will echo the others in my praise for PSA and their products, having spent many a buck with them i feel qualified to make such a statement. I will reserve judgement on Ptac and their related parts as i have only second hand knowledge suggesting they are far inferior to PSA's normal line. I think their shipping dept is finally running smoothly and things go out in three or four days. I ordered a Kimber Micro on Wed and it arrived on Friday.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1231 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1276

I should mention that I have a Daniel Defense CHF barreled upper - and BCM and PSA button rifled barreled uppers. The PSA upper has an FN barrel and BCM BCG. It's roughly equal to the BCM but over $100 cheaper. The DD has better finish and more attention to detail but overall for a duty rifle you can't go wrong with an FN barreled PSA. I feel equally confident with any of the three. The PSA SS Freedom upper I have is heavier but very accurate. PSA says the same SS barrel is used in their Premium SS upper.

Good stuff, PSA!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek