Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PSA $49.95 stripped lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
A couple of issues regarding receivers. The keyhole mark on receiver is the foundry who forged the original solid forging not the manufacturer.
The last I was aware unless they have changed, the Palmetto receivers were made by Olympic Arms.
Colt receivers are made by Continental Machine and Tool.

You sure on Oly? They do make a ton of stuff for others (which would shock the AR snobs), but I think their supplier relationship to Palmetto was with the ORIGINAL Palmetto Arms 20" rifles of the early 80's - no relationship with current Palmetto.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #12

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper
Ordered mine today. Can't wait to start my first build. Got a shootin buddy who is going to start his first build at the same time.
I called Palmetto Arms today to confirm my order. No problem, he said: 10 days. I noticed the price on their web site went up as I was chatting. whew.
Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
You sure on Oly? They do make a ton of stuff for others (which would shock the AR snobs), but I think their supplier relationship to Palmetto was with the ORIGINAL Palmetto Arms 20" rifles of the early 80's - no relationship with current Palmetto.
I do believe Oly has stopped making their own receivers. I was kinda chatting w/ an Oly employee through a middle man and was informed they no longer make their own.

I love it when people who enjoy real quality get labeled snobs. I understand the defensive nature of us humans but it still makes me laugh.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #14

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Guess I'm a snob too!

We all have to set the bar somewhere - whether it's for an AR, a truck, tools, HDTV, home theater system, laptop, camera, you name it. I love value but don't want crap either. Normally you get what you pay for. So I like to find bargains on equipment that's plenty good enough to do the job.

Funny, when it comes to an AR I set the bar pretty high - but for an AK, well I bought a WASR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #15

I can't believe I missed this post! I just checked today and it is back up to 79

RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Guess I'm a snob too!

We all have to set the bar somewhere - whether it's for an AR, a truck, tools, HDTV, home theater system, laptop, camera, you name it. I love value but don't want crap either. Normally you get what you pay for. So I like to find bargains on equipment that's plenty good enough to do the job.

Funny, when it comes to an AR I set the bar pretty high - but for an AK, well I bought a WASR.
Funny because I feel the same way about AKs. I look at a $400 Romanian and a $900 Arsenal and feel fine going w/ the Romanian. In fact my current project is a 107CR-ish Romanian.

For some reason I see ARs as a scalpel and AKs as hammers.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I do believe Oly has stopped making their own receivers. I was kinda chatting w/ an Oly employee through a middle man and was informed they no longer make their own.

I love it when people who enjoy real quality get labeled snobs. I understand the defensive nature of us humans but it still makes me laugh.
Well snobbery in the sense of the AR crowd - as you know from owning an AK - where it serves as kind of self-validation in that since "they" spent what they did on their particular brand of AR, all others must be of lesser.

I shopped carefully for my quality appliances and cars, but I don't beat on others on message boards if they failed to buy the same brand of TV or fridge or Euro sports sedan as I did.

Again, as you know from the AK world and your admitted WASR ownership; AK folks don't trot out "charts" and belittle others for not having picked a certain brand-dujour. Yeah, some like the dimpled SARs over a WASR - but they still go bang and they still came from Romania.

I'm not going to castigate you for owning a WASR, when for "just a $100.00 more you could of had a Yugo", ie: listen in your mind and hear WASR substituted with your choice of DPMS/Bushy/Oly/Stag/Mod1/RR/Noveske, and "Yugo" substituted with Colt/LMT/DD/Spikes. Sounds silly.

And yes; I was on a board where someone actually declared a BCM-parts-gun a better choice than a Noveske... AYFKM? who woulda thunk.

Guess a Joe-Bob's gotta be better than a Colt.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You always have to look at your use for the firearm in question. I us AKs for plinking at the range. I don't plan on using it for 3gun or as a defensive tool. AKs are also a totally different beast. Their design is much more forgiving of manufacturing flaws as ARs are not. If an AK isn't quite up to "snuff" it doesn't effect reliability or function like w/ an AR.

A dull scalpel is a bigger problem than a pitted hammer.

There's plenty of "snobbery" in the AK world when it comes to those who run theirs hard. You'll find, well at least I have found, most AK owners don't run their AKs all that hard. I've found that a lot of guys get into AKs due to the low cost.

Though there are guys who think the price of their AR dictates it's reliability and/or worth most knowledgeable guys don't. There's actually a trend on "max value".

Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #19

Liked 209 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
I can't believe I missed this post! I just checked today and it is back up to 79

RLTW!
Still a pretty decent price.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #20

I haven't asked at the gun shop thats close to me what their price is, but is there a set price that is charged when you have to ship to an FFL? Whats the "normal" price, and can they be different at different shops?

Also, does anyone know if Bass Pro is considered an FFL?

Thanks