Problems cycling with winchester 5.56 rounds
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Problems cycling with winchester 5.56 rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Problems cycling with winchester 5.56 rounds

Jurist recently finished my first build with an adams arms upper and it seems it will shoot and cycle anything but Winchester 5.56 round an I was wondering if anybody else with a piston system head similar problems

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Liked 420 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguardkliff
Jurist recently finished my first build with an adams arms upper and it seems it will shoot and cycle anything but Winchester 5.56 round an I was wondering if anybody else with a piston system head similar problems
What buffer and buffer spring do you have? Is it lubed up properly? (Hehe) did you lube the piston itself? What problems are you getting specifically? What other ammo did you use? Did you use a different mag?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9936 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1572

Is your upper 5.56 or .223?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Is your upper 5.56 or .223?
Damn good question.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #5

Liked 250 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguardkliff View Post
When an AR won't cycle a specific brand or type of ammo, I tend to think they have a .223 barrel, not 5.56, irregardless of how it is labled. The manufacturers that tell you not to use steel ammo usually do so because their barrels are .223. Barrels can be reamed by a competent gunsmith to 5.56. I don't know if it is worth it to you. Just depends on how much you shoot. If it is a new upper that was built by Adams Arms and you have not tinkered with it, it might be a good idea to contact them about the issue and see if they have a warranty.I wouldn't even take off the handguards. Then again, you just may have a batch of bad ammo. Two courses of action you can take:
1. If you know someone with another upper, try it and see if the ammo will cycle with their upper, so you can at least narrow it down to the upper. If it cycles with their upper, then you have some grounds to tell the people at Adams Arms. If the ammo won't cycle through your buddy's upper, then it is the ammo itself. The gas system , piston or DI, itself doesn't care whether the ammo is steel or brass, and the entire design was intended for various quality ammo, however, you will have some duds in any ammunition.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #6

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguardkliff View Post
what other rounds have you been shooting?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

Liked 171 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 90

With the .223 and 5.56mm, cartridge dimensions should be the same. And overall length as well, as there are not different magazines for .223 and 5.56mm. The difference between the two lies in the way the chambers are cut, the amount of lead (free bore between the end of chamber and the beginning of the rifling) is greater on the 5.56mm, and the angle of the throat is not as steep on the 5.56 as the .223. These two differences have to do with enhanced reliabilty and reducing pressure being of utmost importance with the 5.56mm , and better accuracy for very small targets like gophers and prairie dogs for the .223. The Wylde chamber came about as a compromise between the two, slightly better accuracy than a 5.56mm chamber, but still able to handle 5.56mm loads without pressure signs.Either round should feed the same, into either chamber. Where there might be a problem, is, on a very hot day, with a tighter than normal chamber, you might raise pressures enough by firing a 5.56mm in a .223 chamber to blow out a primer. The W-W 5.56mm is decent ammo, not really sure why your rifle will feed other types and not W-W. As I said before, even if you only have a .223 chamber, it should feed either round fine, a problem would only occur when firing, and very seldom then, and usually a blown primer.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
With the .223 and 5.56mm, cartridge dimensions should be the same. And overall length as well, as there are not different magazines for .223 and 5.56mm. The difference between the two lies in the way the chambers are cut, the amount of lead (free bore between the end of chamber and the beginning of the rifling) is greater on the 5.56mm, and the angle of the throat is not as steep on the 5.56 as the .223. These two differences have to do with enhanced reliabilty and reducing pressure being of utmost importance with the 5.56mm , and better accuracy for very small targets like gophers and prairie dogs for the .223. The Wylde chamber came about as a compromise between the two, slightly better accuracy than a 5.56mm chamber, but still able to handle 5.56mm loads without pressure signs.Either round should feed the same, into either chamber. Where there might be a problem, is, on a very hot day, with a tighter than normal chamber, you might raise pressures enough by firing a 5.56mm in a .223 chamber to blow out a primer. The W-W 5.56mm is decent ammo, not really sure why your rifle will feed other types and not W-W. As I said before, even if you only have a .223 chamber, it should feed either round fine, a problem would only occur when firing, and very seldom then, and usually a blown primer.
You do realize a blown out primer is a sign of serious over pressurization. It is inadvisable to use 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #9

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If the box of Winchester ammo is labeled "metric" it is not manufactured by Winchester. The ammo is manufactured by Prvi Partisan or whoever won the Winchester contract this time around.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Liked 171 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I do realize that, didn't say I used 5.56mm in a .223 chamber, both of my AR's and my Mini have 5.56mm chambers. Just stating that it should not affect FEEDING regardless of the chamber. Virtually all AR uppers are chambered for 5.56mm, exceptions are models geared for Target / Varmint use for extreme accuracy. However, just because your AR barrel is marked 5.56mm doesn't mean it actually is. Patrick Sweeney tested several dozen AR barrels and a few did not have a true 5.56 mm chamber. To be sure you could take you AR to a competent gunsmith, or buy a .223/5.56mm gauge form Ned Christensen at (www.m-guns.com). It goes for $44 plus shipping. If it drops in, you have a 5.56mm chamber. If not, he sells a 5.56mm reamer for $240, a few twists of the tool and your "semi" 5.56 chamber is now good to go.

Last edited by sandog; 09-18-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: update info
bradam Likes This