Problem with Bushmaster 30 round magazines feeding reliably
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Problem with Bushmaster 30 round magazines feeding reliably

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 5

Default Problem with Bushmaster 30 round magazines feeding reliably

As the title states. I have purchased 10 Bushmaster 30 round mags and all fail to feed after 3 to 5 rounds. I am loading them with 20 and tried with 30 rounds with the same results. Purchased 2 five round magazines for hunting and they do not skip a beat. Wrote Bushmaster and recieved no reply.
Follower, spring, retention lips????? WTH?

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Have you tried different brand magazines? Pick up a magpul, give it a try and if you have no issues, try and return the bushmaster mags for something that works.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 1002 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

The three Bushmaster 30rd GI style magazines I've seen came from the factory with Magpul Gen 2 followers and worked great. One came with the rifle a buddy bought in 2008 and two more he got from Cabelas at the same time. I don't know if BM has cheapened their mags today, wouldn't be surprised with the move to Ilion, NY.

Anyway like Power said try a different brand, Magpul or a quality USGI.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

I will pick up a couple mag Pull to give it a try and pull the BM mags apart to cherck internals (should have been my first item)
Thanks for the input

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Liked 1002 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Let us know how it goes safe - hopefully that solves the FTF problem, I think it will... I'm also curious about the BM mags and whether they still use the Magpul Gen 2 followers. Lots of things cheapened when BM moved from Windham, Maine so I'm wondering if they cheapened the magazines too much. Ten magazines, though, I hope there's an easy solution.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #6

That makes two of us!!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #7

I have had my Bushmaster for about 10 years now, with tons of ammo thru it, and nary a problem. Except for one BM mag, problem like yours. I replaced them, the BM mags, with the new ones from Brownells and no probs again. The BM mags are used for training as all but the one work fine.

I guess I'm lucky as on the 'net everyone downs Bushmasters, but I have had excellent service out of mine. At a recent firearms instructor course at our state training academy, my Bushie was the most accurate and problem free of all the other rifles there, including colts!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
I have had my Bushmaster for about 10 years now, with tons of ammo thru it, and nary a problem. Except for one BM mag, problem like yours. I replaced them, the BM mags, with the new ones from Brownells and no probs again. The BM mags are used for training as all but the one work fine.

I guess I'm lucky as on the 'net everyone downs Bushmasters, but I have had excellent service out of mine. At a recent firearms instructor course at our state training academy, my Bushie was the most accurate and problem free of all the other rifles there, including colts!
Chances are if you purchased yours that long ago you got in before things went to crap.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant
Have you tried different brand magazines? Pick up a magpul, give it a try and if you have no issues, try and return the bushmaster mags for something that works.
+1 here...shooting buddy of mine has a bushy, and switched to magpull...no problems at all. I use them in my LWRCI...matter of fact that's what it came with. I have nothing but good to say so far. I also like the cap that keeps the round off of the lip when they are stuffed and stored.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Ordered 4 P-mags next payday....4 more.