Problem AR - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Problem AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Sorry, earlier I thought you were saying the grouping problem only was with the irons. Hope you get it resolved with the excellent help above received later!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Would a torpedo level work?
Yeah, I suppose so, but man. The little vials I picked up from my LGS are SOOOOO freaking handy. For the $10-$20 I spent they've saved me hours of frustration.

But you had said something that made me think. . . about the extra little turn to get the gas tube to line up (which is always a pain for some reason). . . Anyways, It would be a good idea to make a center-line (reference line) on the barrel in line with the port before installation of gas block. So to double check yourself after leveling off of the receiver, Make a second center-line on the gas block (visible from the top angle). If those 2 lines are in line and the receiver and block are both level, then you know you're dead nuts.

Maybe a little excessive, but I had a guy install a block on one of my carbines (short on time that day and had to get out of that store). The gun test fired just fine, locked back and all, but about 80-120 rounds into the session my vert-grip and front, lower hand-guard came off in my hand!!! The block must have been ever so slightly off-center and shot itself loose. I fixed it out there and shot some more, but re-aligned it at home later the way I described.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Yeah, I suppose so, but man. The little vials I picked up from my LGS are SOOOOO freaking handy. For the $10-$20 I spent they've saved me hours of frustration.

But you had said something that made me think. . . about the extra little turn to get the gas tube to line up (which is always a pain for some reason). . . Anyways, It would be a good idea to make a center-line (reference line) on the barrel in line with the port before installation of gas block. So to double check yourself after leveling off of the receiver, Make a second center-line on the gas block (visible from the top angle). If those 2 lines are in line and the receiver and block are both level, then you know you're dead nuts.

Maybe a little excessive, but I had a guy install a block on one of my carbines (short on time that day and had to get out of that store). The gun test fired just fine, locked back and all, but about 80-120 rounds into the session my vert-grip and front, lower hand-guard came off in my hand!!! The block must have been ever so slightly off-center and shot itself loose. I fixed it out there and shot some more, but re-aligned it at home later the way I described.
Did a search on the Vial Level, cool little tool.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Did you oder a set? If you do get a decent one, not the cheapest, they fall apart. . .

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #15

to op: you should of bought a bushwacker

Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethole View Post
to op: you should of bought a bushwacker
That's real helpful. Anything else to say?
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post

OK guys, I googled these vials to get a visual them then went to Midway and Brownells and neither one had any vial levels listed. So were else can one purchase said item? HMMMM?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Wheeler Engineering Level-Level-Level Scope Crosshair Leveling Tool - MidwayUSA

Threw another one in the basket while I was there. They aren't just used as advertised and can be used for a number of applications.