Prices going up???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Prices going up???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Prices going up???

I am curious why everyone is always talking about the price of firearms going for the last couple of months? In my area, ammo, guns and hi-cap mags have not gone up one cent. At the gunstore were I bought my AR, you can still get one just like mine for $600, which is what I paid for mine. Also everybody says it's like a feeding frenzy at gunstores now, also not true in my area. The only difference I've noticed is my favorite gunstore now has boxes upon boxes of hi-cap AR mags. However they always did have them to start with although not so many. Is it a regional thing?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

It is really a supply and demand thing,and I'm sure it also depends on where you live. In the DFW area,any hi-cap mag for pistols or rifles has gone up atleast $5 a mag,just because the consumer demand and the whse price the dealers pay has also increased. PMags were $17-19,now are $25-30 depending on where you go.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think it's a combination of some fear buying and some price gouging. If you live in area that is well saturated with black rifles already, there isn't much demand. If you live in area that doesn't have a lot of black rifles, there is, conversely, a higher demand in fear of the coming AWB II.

Many of the retailers ( Rock River, Bushmaster, Olympic ) have been behind on full rifle orders for months now, with projects being many more months before they catch up.

Olympic Arms, as they are right down the road and we happen to know a guy who machines for them in the shop, had mandatory 24 hour crews for months over the summer in the longer daylight days to help keep up with demand.

Krieger Barrels, another company we do business with alot, is out 18 weeks on AR barrels. 2 years ago at this time, it was more like 4 to 6 weeks.

It's just supply and demand. We have seen, probably, a 30% to 50% increase in just calls or questions about SUR's since the end of Oct / beginning of Nov.

I wonder why?

If you can still snatch up good AR's at $600 - it might make a good investment. Next year you could probably double your money selling them face to face inside the state.

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep...price gouging (or CAPITALISM ) is rampant right now. But hey...if you can make a buck doing it, at the expense of screwing someone else over in the process, then by all means, go for it. You're the one who has to live with yourself. I hope it comes back in the end to bite them all in the a$$.

Perfect example, PK Firearms had a few complete uppers pop up on their site yesterday (today, too). Funny how the same complete upper came up for sale this a.m. on another forum, with a slight increase in price ($300 +)!!!!. Even funnier, the poster states that he doesn't even have the upper in hand yet, as it is in the mail to him, but will gladly post pics as soon as he gets it.

I hope it gets lost in the mail

Slo

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #5

At the beginning of a new year the gun company's up there price by a certain percentage. If your not seing more expensive guns yet, your gun shop is probably selling old stock.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #6

Liked 332 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
At the beginning of a new year the gun company's up there price by a certain percentage. If your not seing more expensive guns yet, your gun shop is probably selling old stock.
Yup. Family used to own a retail store with a sporting goods section and prices usually were increased around mid Febuary. Some merchandise was purchased on "dating" programs and volume of puracahses dictated discounts throughout year shipments. Usually 10 -20%, sometimes as much as 30%. Again depending on item and quanity. Sporting stores around here in Sacramento havn't been jacking prices too much if at all. However, they are very low or completely out of alot of stuff and are on backorders.