Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > price difference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default price difference

Is it cheaper to build a AR-15 from scratch? Or buying a complete lower and upper already made and putting it together?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

Liked 1002 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Not really a huge difference either way, if you shop carefully.

The two main advantages of building are:

1) You can get a rifle setup exactly like you want

2) A sense of accomplishment of having built your rifle

Just like buying a car, boat, etc., lots of good deals available, but you can overpay if not careful.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I just made a list of all the parts I would need for an AR 15, 20"barrel, A2 butt, A4 rear sight, and wood furniture. My shopping cart total was $750ish.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can buy a good basic AR for right at 600 dollars. PSA or s&w 15 sport. And with atleast one have a first class company behind it . You can build one for a less. Then theres allways hopeing you got all the right mix of parts and it runs and shoots as good as you hoped. How about a bit more info ,barrell lenght and purpose, optics or not, stock type. Is it going to be used as just a fun gun or doing a bit of hunting , shooting in some match's.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
You can buy a good basic AR for right at 600 dollars. PSA or s&w 15 sport. And with atleast one have a first class company behind it . You can build one for a less. Then theres allways hopeing you got all the right mix of parts and it runs and shoots as good as you hoped. How about a bit more info ,barrell lenght and purpose, optics or not, stock type. Is it going to be used as just a fun gun or doing a bit of hunting , shooting in some match's.
Hey, im looking to build an AR for under 600 or somewhat close to it, it will be my go-to "SHTF/end of world gun" what do i need to get started?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

At $600 you are looking at an entry level AR meaning basic optics, foreend, buttstock, etc. Not a bad thing as long as you know that going in and focus your spending on what really matters. In short how to build a mediocre entry level versus an exceptional entry level AR. My opinion, for what it's worth would be to put your money in a quality mid length upper first then build a lower using a good lower and lower parts kit with a good trigger group. Optics, foreends, BUIS and stock can be upgraded and exchanged as funds allow. Don't overlook used quality take off parts and settle for cheap no-name parts. A used Daniel Defense, BCM or Yankee Hill part beats a no-name part from e-bay all day long. If its only a placeholder for what you really want down the road anyway, it will retain some resale value, not a big market for used UTG parts if you catch my drift.

Most of all shop around, lots of links and recommendations on this forum, who knows you may even catch a good deal on an upper if someone is doing an upgrade.

Good luck and have fun.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The money you save using your own labor to install parts is often spent on specialized tools to do the work. If you are only going to obtain 1 AR-15 and you don't know anyone who can loan you the tools to use, you will probably be better off just buying complete parts. I understand that you will save an 11% Fed. Exise Tax on your rifle if you don't buy the AR upper & lower together at the same time.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'd go w/ a PSA rifle kit and one of their lowers then add a PrimaryArms micro RDS w/ an ADM mount.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I'd go w/ a PSA rifle kit and one of their lowers then add a PrimaryArms micro RDS w/ an ADM mount.
DD mount! F T W!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
DD mount! F T W!
Well they sell the PA micro w/ the ADM as a discounted package plus I prefer true cowitness.

Other than that the DD mount is great.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."