Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   price difference (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/price-difference-55909/)

VASH1456 01-20-2012 11:21 AM

price difference

Is it cheaper to build a AR-15 from scratch? Or buying a complete lower and upper already made and putting it together?

Gatoragn 01-20-2012 11:27 AM

Not really a huge difference either way, if you shop carefully.

The two main advantages of building are:

1) You can get a rifle setup exactly like you want

2) A sense of accomplishment of having built your rifle

Just like buying a car, boat, etc., lots of good deals available, but you can overpay if not careful.

trip286 01-20-2012 12:00 PM

I just made a list of all the parts I would need for an AR 15, 20"barrel, A2 butt, A4 rear sight, and wood furniture. My shopping cart total was $750ish.

hardluk1 01-20-2012 12:53 PM

You can buy a good basic AR for right at 600 dollars. PSA or s&w 15 sport. And with atleast one have a first class company behind it . You can build one for a less. Then theres allways hopeing you got all the right mix of parts and it runs and shoots as good as you hoped. How about a bit more info ,barrell lenght and purpose, optics or not, stock type. Is it going to be used as just a fun gun or doing a bit of hunting , shooting in some match's.

Jon12312 01-20-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1
You can buy a good basic AR for right at 600 dollars. PSA or s&w 15 sport. And with atleast one have a first class company behind it . You can build one for a less. Then theres allways hopeing you got all the right mix of parts and it runs and shoots as good as you hoped. How about a bit more info ,barrell lenght and purpose, optics or not, stock type. Is it going to be used as just a fun gun or doing a bit of hunting , shooting in some match's.

Hey, im looking to build an AR for under 600 or somewhat close to it, it will be my go-to "SHTF/end of world gun" what do i need to get started?

Jpyle 01-20-2012 04:15 PM

At $600 you are looking at an entry level AR meaning basic optics, foreend, buttstock, etc. Not a bad thing as long as you know that going in and focus your spending on what really matters. In short how to build a mediocre entry level versus an exceptional entry level AR. My opinion, for what it's worth would be to put your money in a quality mid length upper first then build a lower using a good lower and lower parts kit with a good trigger group. Optics, foreends, BUIS and stock can be upgraded and exchanged as funds allow. Don't overlook used quality take off parts and settle for cheap no-name parts. A used Daniel Defense, BCM or Yankee Hill part beats a no-name part from e-bay all day long. If its only a placeholder for what you really want down the road anyway, it will retain some resale value, not a big market for used UTG parts if you catch my drift.

Most of all shop around, lots of links and recommendations on this forum, who knows you may even catch a good deal on an upper if someone is doing an upgrade.

Good luck and have fun.

Snakedriver 01-20-2012 05:35 PM

The money you save using your own labor to install parts is often spent on specialized tools to do the work. If you are only going to obtain 1 AR-15 and you don't know anyone who can loan you the tools to use, you will probably be better off just buying complete parts. I understand that you will save an 11% Fed. Exise Tax on your rifle if you don't buy the AR upper & lower together at the same time.

mjkeat 01-20-2012 09:48 PM

I'd go w/ a PSA rifle kit and one of their lowers then add a PrimaryArms micro RDS w/ an ADM mount.

AgentTikki 01-20-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 683451)
I'd go w/ a PSA rifle kit and one of their lowers then add a PrimaryArms micro RDS w/ an ADM mount.

DD mount! F T W!

mjkeat 01-20-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 683461)
DD mount! F T W!

Well they sell the PA micro w/ the ADM as a discounted package plus I prefer true cowitness.

Other than that the DD mount is great.