precision upper - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > precision upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Ive shot rifles with those brand of scopes and i own a nightforce nxs f1. I cant honestly tell the difference in glass quality.

Ive got 3 leupolds selling one and the difference tween my nightforce and leupold is easy to see. Im sure the sb and zeiss track true my nxs does also my leupolds dont.

With no discernable to me optical difference im not sure why pay more for a s&b or zeiss. Educate me im open to arguments i dont like buying things then finding out i made a bad choice.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Going for a Horus Reticle?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

no. this isnt a fighting ar15 its pretty much range only type stuff. its going to be pretty heavy the barrel i ordered is a full heavy barrel .960 to the muzzle using a magpul prs stock and big huge 12-42x scope

im looking at the np2dd reticle

scope is more than this gun needs but i can use it on a future gun if i go with bigger caliber later.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-14-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #24

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Zeiss has a nice line of Rapid Z reticles, not as clean as the one you posted but not as busy as other ballistic reticles either. I've got plans to top of my AR10 build with one of their Conquest scopes using the rapid z 1000 illuminated reticle

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Zeiss has a nice line of Rapid Z reticles, not as clean as the one you posted but not as busy as other ballistic reticles either. I've got plans to top of my AR10 build with one of their Conquest scopes using the rapid z 1000 illuminated reticle
only issue ive got with zeiss is i cant find one or an S&B with the options im looking for in a 40+ magnification. ive got a couple of really good low power to medium power scopes. im lacking a really good benchrest type.

i used to shoot benchrest but back then i lost interest because there just werent any really accurate semi-autos. it was all custom bolt guns in wierd calibers

im just not wanting a barrel burning round to have some fun in the winter league shoots at the local range. 223 is just fine at 300yards to 600yds and it will last a very long time at low cost of the bullets. i know its not a true benchrest round but its good enough for my purposes

Last edited by JonM; 08-15-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #26

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I don't think Zeiss makes scopes in that magnification. As for S&B ... are you sitting down?

- http://www.riflescopes.net/schmidt-bender-pm-12-50x56-P4FMOA-CW.aspx

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

I can't "educate" anyone Jon, but the German glass is used by a whole bunch of different snipers around the world.

Royal Marine snipers, the only ones I know of who are as good as our SEAL snipers use S&B exclusively.

OTOH, these scope are made to take a real beating. They're extremely rugged and durable. That's where a lot of the cost comes from.

For a benchrest gun, you don't really need to drop them out of helicopters, and you can probably get just as much accuracy for half the price.

Anyway, good luck with the project!

Winston Churchill

Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I don't think Zeiss makes scopes in that magnification. As for S&B ... are you sitting down?

- http://www.riflescopes.net/schmidt-bender-pm-12-50x56-P4FMOA-CW.aspx
yup thats about right for a s&b. its why i dont own one or will own one. way too much for what they are. ive never heard a concrete reason thats makes em worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I can't "educate" anyone Jon, but the German glass is used by a whole bunch of different snipers around the world.

Royal Marine snipers, the only ones I know of who are as good as our SEAL snipers use S&B exclusively.

OTOH, these scope are made to take a real beating. They're extremely rugged and durable. That's where a lot of the cost comes from.

For a benchrest gun, you don't really need to drop them out of helicopters, and you can probably get just as much accuracy for half the price.

Anyway, good luck with the project!
im not that versed in the ins and outs. ive shot rifles with various scopes i just dont see the worth of the sb scopes. yeah they are tough but so are other brands just as tough. as far as i know kinda why i was asking in case there is something im not seeing in em.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the upper i ordered on monday evening from rogtactical (one of our vendors and awesome folks to deal with) showed up today. its a rainier arms A3 ultramatch. reason i got that upper is its the only one i could find of any quality without M4 cuts and a flattop picatinny.

i decided this is going to go from just a upper to a complete rifle as i already have a really nice magpul PRS buttstock that i like and is just collecting dust atm.

got a pair of 20 round pmags (going to try those out this weekend) full 30's arent fun shooting when clearance underneath is an issue.

here is where im at right now with current parts.

heart of the rifle curtesy of BCM

some pics of the upper

picked up an RRA lower. reason being is that RRA builds or has them built to a slightly tighter tolerance. with it mated up to my A2 RRA lower its SUPER tight. had to use a punch and light hammer to knock the pins lose. not so much that its being forced together but enough so that i cant push the pins out enough to get a grip on them. if i didnt know better i would say the rainier ultramatch and the rra lower were hand fitted together.

i managed to get the prs stock off the rifle buffer tube finally. you can see in this pic where its missing part of a thread. i chucked it up in a pair of blocks cut for holding in my barrel vice and finally broke the buffer tube screw loose. magpul put a LOT of blue loctite on that screw!! when i put it together i didnt think it would be a big deal. im going to have to use a thread cleaning file to get that loctite off.

when i put it all back together ill use a dab of rockset. its no where near as difficult to bust loose as blue but still keeps screws and such from backing out just fine.

expecting the krieger barrel sometime in september. thinking of calling them and see if its not too late to have it fluted after all. they gaurentee on their sight their fluting work wont affect accuracy negatively

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #30
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Looks pretty sweet.

I don't need No stinking signature.