Preban/Postban
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Preban/Postban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Preban/Postban

Can someone set me straight on the preban/postban issue? Illinois (not Chicago). Preban upper on a postban lower?
Thanks.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Can someone set me straight on the preban/postban issue? Illinois (not Chicago). Preban upper on a postban lower?
Thanks.
During the Klinton Gun ban,(1994-2004) there were "evil" features that manufacturers were not allowed to put on civilian owned rifles. Those included: Bayonnette lug, flash hider, adjustable or folding buttstock, pistol grip, and detachable magazine. You could only have two "evil" features if you were a civilian. Most chose the pistol grip and the detachable mag. Some states, Illinois is one of them, have their own version of the ban, so you will have to check with someone knowledgeble in your state regarding the regulations there. Be careful of having pre-ban features on a post ban firearm.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 994

The term "pre-ban" is lingering mostly in the used gun sales ads. As a way of saying "it may be illegal for you to buy" without actually saying it.

Last edited by Mercator; 09-29-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The term "pre-ban" is lingering mostly in the used gun sales ads. As a way of saying "it may be illegal for you to buy" without actually saying it.
More than anything it's just fluff, especially when you see it in places like where I live.

When I see "pre ban", I think "translation: old".

There is no current federal ban, so the words "pre ban" likely have different meaning based on location. I chuckle to myself when I see ads in my area for "pre ban" this, and "pre ban" that. Because here, it's exactly like I said, it just means "old". It means "made before", and nothing more. I can get the same stuff here now, that I could have back then.

What really cracks me up is when people seem to think those little words make their gun more valuable. Technology, especially in the areas of sporting rifles (the guns this term is most applied to) has advanced so much in such a short time, that "pre ban" doesn't just mean "old" to me, it also means "obsolete", and that parts may or may not be hard to find, depending on how many proprietary parts the specific make/model employed.

And like many other used things, it also likely means "worn out" by being rode hard and put up wet. Kinda like when you see the words, "'92 Honda civic, REAL CLASSIC!!!" In the classifieds. Yeah... sure...

Last edited by trip286; 09-29-2013 at 11:08 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #5

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
More than anything it's just fluff, especially when you see it in places like where I live.

There is no current federal ban, so the words "pre ban" likely have different meaning based on location. I chuckle to myself when I see ads in my area for "pre ban" this, and "pre ban" that. Because here, it's exactly like I said, it just means "old". It means "made before", and nothing more. I can get the same stuff here now, that I could have back then.

What really cracks me up is when people seem to think those little words make their gun more valuable. Technology, especially in the areas of sporting rifles (the guns this term is most applied to) has advanced so much in such a short time, that "pre ban" doesn't just mean "old" to me, it also means "obsolete", and that parts may or may not be hard to find, depending on how many proprietary parts the specific make/model employed.

And like many other used things, it also likely means "worn out" by being rode hard and put up wet. Kinda like when you see the words, "'92 Honda civic, REAL CLASSIC!!!" In the classifieds. Yeah... sure...
It can mean more money in states that will allow pre-ban guns to have features grandfathered in, that newer, state-ban compliant guns, can't have.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Trip, if you will notice, the OP lives in Illinois, one of the worst states for guns. I don't know if they allow grandfathered in firearms or not. You and I live in pro 2a states, he does not. While pre or post ban has no real relevance to us, it may to him.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Thanks. The confusion is surrounding putting a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower. I know there's no AWB anymore, but a quick search of the web and you'll see the basic answer is it's a no-no and I'm just trying to understand why. Those posts are after 2004. My city and county don't have any restrictions. May just call the ATF this week to find out.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Thanks. The confusion is surrounding putting a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower. I know there's no AWB anymore, but a quick search of the web and you'll see the basic answer is it's a no-no and I'm just trying to understand why. Those posts are after 2004. My city and county don't have any restrictions. May just call the ATF this week to find out.
I beleive your state has a lot of restrictions. Right now, the feds only restrictions are relevant to NFA items, such as silencers, short barrel rifles, and full auto. Don't take anything for granted. Check your state for restrictions on firearms. I beleive they still have a ban.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If I had to guess, it would be that the lower has to be pre-ban because it's the only part considered a firearm. I'm no lawyer and have never been to a ban state. Good luck.