Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > pre build help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default pre build help

Ok my spikes stripped lower should be to FFL this week, but I don't look for it until the end of summer at the earliest. So looking to put a wish list together. I want a rifle that I can shoot a 100 plus yards. Thinking 18-20" with full length aluminum free float handguard. What uppers are good, what lower parts kit, what stock? Post pics of similar rifles. Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1013 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I would get on the list for one these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Mid-Length-Upper-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw-bfh-ss12g2.htm

Old 06-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

Liked 979 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 540

there are a lot of good uppers to choose from. just try to search diferent brands and find one you like. stag, PSA, RRA, Daniel defense, lmt, go to websites and start looking up stocks. im a fan of magpul stocks myself.
if you want an excellent trigger i suggest a RRA match trigger. it can be bought seperatly or with a LPK. the LPK was about 180 i think the last time i looked. but the trigger is amazing. you can get pretty much any LPK though all depends on your budget.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Spikes has some nice LPK's, to be honest though I have used a lot of different manufacturers LPK's and have never had any issues with any of them. Some are fancier than others, better triggers will cost a lot more. A few have never trigger guards in them, but the meat and potatoes of them are pretty much the same.
You can get an Aero upper to put on it. I believe they actually make Spikes lowers for them anyway. You wont need an 18 or 20 barrel to get to 100. 16 inch barrels do that and more just fine. Now if you just WANT an 18 0r 20 barrel, then I would look for a nice Wilson, or if you dont mind polygonal rifling try black hole weaponry. I have never owned a rifle with it but I have a couple pistol that use polygonal rifling, they shoot fine. If you choose to go that route know that cast lead bullets are a no no, not that you would be using them in an AR anyway.
Lots of cool fore ends out there. I have an 18" bull barrel rifle I just finished with an Odinworks barrel and forend on it. Very happy with both so far.
The advice above is good too BCM makes good stuff.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I'm new to this too. Just recieved my Franklin Armory lower and want a 20 inch barrel.I ordered a complete parts kits from Rguns. Everything but the lower reciever should be in the kit. Don't order from them, I'm taking a big chance with them. I don't even know the twist rate of the barrel I'm getting. But if and when I recieve my parts I will use them until I can get a knights armory upper. I'll use the Rguns parts for another build. I've been following knights guns and I'm really impressed with their latest build. I love the new forarms they come out with. I know I won't be able to get it for awhile because everything is sold out.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I'm new to this too. Just recieved my Franklin Armory lower and want a 20 inch barrel.I ordered a complete parts kits from Rguns. Everything but the lower reciever should be in the kit. Don't order from them, I'm taking a big chance with them. I don't even know the twist rate of the barrel I'm getting. But if and when I recieve my parts I will use them until I can get a knights armory upper. I'll use the Rguns parts for another build. I've been following knights guns and I'm really impressed with their latest build. I love the new forarms they come out with. I know I won't be able to get it for awhile because everything is sold out.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. KAC sent out a message a few days ago saying they were suspending civilian sales until their military commitments coudl be met. I do not know how long that will be (they dont either). Basically it said they wont be accepting new orders for a bit though.
Heck of a good choice though. They make top notch rifles.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Yea, I understand that. Their rifles are top notch, and the military needs their guns first.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Unless you're intent on shooting 300yds+ or need quarter-sized groups beyond 150yds, a well-built 16" ML will serve you quite well. At least that's my experience.

I currently own 7 ARs. Not one is over 16". I just don't like the extra weight and poor balance (front heavy) of longer options, with what I consider limited payoff. My precision range rifle is a 16" 1:8 stainless BCM ML, with a 2-7x32 Nikon scope...because honestly, I'm not looking for it to do cartwheels for me beyond 300yds. I want it to be awesome at 25-250yds.

It all boils down to what you want your rifle to do for you. If you intend 100% of its application to be benchrest shooting for the tightest conceivable groups, your criteria will differ from mine. And in that case, get the longer SS 1:8 barrel, spring for a high end scope and trigger, and weight is no concern.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1013 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Here is a CA based company for you to check out.

I bought a trigger for them once, seemed to do business on the up & up

http://www.addaxtactical.com/store/pc/home.asp

Addax Tactical, San Fernando, CA.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. Anyone use rguns yet? Also which is better 1:7,1:8,or 1:9 twist?