Pre ban complete uppers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pre ban complete uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pre ban complete uppers

What is meant by "pre ban" when describing complete uppers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban banned a list of specific rifles from importation and sale.
It also banned guns based on certain 'features'. Per that law, a gun may not have more than TWO of the following features and still be legal:

bayonet lug, pistol grip, collapsable stock, flash hider, removable magazine, or a grenade launcher

There are a couple states that still control or regulate what you can have or not have, but in essence the ban has been lifted.

In some cases an original pre-ban rifle might bring a bit more money to the seller.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

So pre-ban was manufactured before the ban took effect, or does it mean that it's components comply with the ban restrictions?
So Florida is not one of those states that continue to control and regulate the s**t out of our rights.
Let me guess, California continues to control and regulate.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Lets just "Hope" there's some actual "Change" and we don't see a reelection this time around.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

When my wife sees me in a little despair, she asks, "He can't stay longer than 8 yrs, can he?". This realization doesn't help me much.
I am placing my trust in the American people to veer away from this course.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Off topic but there are many who can't seem to open their eyes to the fact he has done nothing to help point this country in the right direction. They want to play the "blame everyone but him" game and think he hasn't had enough time to make a difference. I cal BS on the time thing. 2.5 years is plenty of time to make a difference. Vacations, million dollar buses, and handouts are not the way to turn things around. He has no experience and it shows even w/ his cabinet of advisers. He's surrounded himself w/ like minded buffoons.

Florida is a firearms friendly state :thumbsup: for them. Cali, Chicago, N.Y., N.J. and others I'm sure are not.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

mjkeat:
Poor guy, he just inherited the problems and doesn't know how to fix them.
I don't want to go in this off topic but I am truly shocked by the bulk of the media's silence and absence of healthy, critical analysis.

Last edited by rccalzadilla; 08-24-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
So pre-ban was manufactured before the ban took effect, or does it mean that it's components comply with the ban restrictions?
So Florida is not one of those states that continue to control and regulate the s**t out of our rights.
Let me guess, California continues to control and regulate.
"Pre-ban" is an archaic descriptive term, once used to describe rifles manufactured before the 1994 Crime Bill took effect. From the Federal law standpoint, one could possess or sell a rifle manufactured with (from the perspective of the 1994 Federal law) an excess of "ugly evil features," for example, flash suppressor, threaded barrel, bayonet lug, collapsible or folding stock, etc. Such rifles commanded a premium because the law fixed the supply: no new non-crime-bill-compliant rifles could be manufactured after the bill took effect.

In 2004 the "Assault Weapon" part of the Crime Bill sunset. Consequently, from a Federal law perspective, one can now assemble a rifle with all the ugly evil features one desires. "Pre" and "post" ban are meaningless, federally. However, certain states have instituted their own version of the "AW" ban. In those states, "pre-ban" is not anachronistic.

In plain English, "pre-ban" means normal configuration. "Post-ban" means arbitrarily mutilated to conform to a useless law. And, the "ban" that caused the terms to be coined disappeared seven years ago; it's as though the ban never existed—on the Federal level.

Regards,

Walt

Author, The NEW! AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guides,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by wjkuleck; 08-24-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Thanks Walt.
Surely "ugly, evil features" are very harmful. I guess hamburgers can also be banned for the detrimental effects it has on our health.
We'll ban cars too, for all the deaths they cause daily.
What about the activities which cause AIDS?
I wonder which kills more people?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 847 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
I am truly shocked by the bulk of the media's silence and absence of healthy, critical analysis.
Critical thinking is an extremely valuable and mostly lost skill.