possibly purchasing a Colt AR15 SP1, help please?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > possibly purchasing a Colt AR15 SP1, help please??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

oh, yes the rifle is 100% original

Old 12-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Ive got a sp1 about 50k higher serial than that one. Ive been shooting mine since 1986 never had a jam or ftf fte. Forward assist is not needed in a working ar15.

If a round doesnt go into battery you need to check the bore. Ive seen ar15s go kaboom cuz the owner just kept jamming the fa witout looking till it went in battery. Then kaboom from bore obstruction.

If you swap the upper out you will need a small to large front pin adaptor they cost like 5$ off midway or brownells.

Just dont swap the colt parts out into a new reciever sp1 in good condition are collector items.

My advice buy it clean it shoot it as is once or twice then buy a different ar15 to beat on. Save it. Sp1 goes for 900-1500 depending on condition

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #13

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeklun01 View Post
i am a complete noobie about assault rifles and i need some advice, so my friend is selling me his colt ar15 sp1 for $300 the gun is in full working order and i was wondering if this gun is notorious for any problems and if its even worth my time purchasing?

also the gun doesnt have forward assist and i plan to change the upper, if i change the upper receiver with a YHM A3 upper is it possible to change just the upper and use the original parts? i am sure there are more parts that the upper consists of than i know of
An original Colt SP1 and you are going to break it down and replace parts? Think about it this way...if it's 100% original it's worth 3-4 times what you are paying for it, change the upper and it's just an old gun with new parts. JMHO

1977SP67651 1978SP83400

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-09-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #14

yeah its 100% original, you may have my misunderstood my original post, i havent put any money into it one of my close friends is selling it for $300 the gun is in perfect shape, well from atleast what i could see when he broke it all down infront of me. i wasnt aware that this gun could be worth that much, im going to have to take the advice on not changing the upper reciever

Last edited by eeklun01; 12-09-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Buy it.

Keep the original upper untouched and unchanged.

Swap the upper out with a new one. Its as easy as pulling out 2 pins, 10 seconds tops.

Shoot it like you stole it, kuz at that price you just may have..........

Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Colt SP1 for $300, run those #'s.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #17

i dont think the gun is hot, what i know is he got it as a gift along with a WW2 thompson from his dad before they got divorced a few yrs ago, hes only 20yrs old so i dont think he realizes what its really worth or maybe theres more to it than im aware of, if upload photos of the gun broke down and photos of all the parts could someone tell me what kind of condition its in and if its 100% original?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Post'em I'm sure someone will be along soon who'll be able to tell.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeklun01 View Post
i dont think the gun is hot, what i know is he got it as a gift along with a WW2 thompson from his dad before they got divorced a few yrs ago, hes only 20yrs old so i dont think he realizes what its really worth or maybe theres more to it than im aware of, if upload photos of the gun broke down and photos of all the parts could someone tell me what kind of condition its in and if its 100% original?
You cant just gift a full auto thompson to someone. 20 years old is too young to fill out the paperwork on one if it was legally entered into the nfa roles in the first place.

Most liekly its a recent manufacture semi auto replica of the ww2 thompson.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You cant just gift a full auto thompson to someone. 20 years old is too young to fill out the paperwork on one if it was legally entered into the nfa roles in the first place.

Most liekly its a recent manufacture semi auto replica of the ww2 thompson.
i know for a fact that he didnt have 9 grand or how ever much thompsons are going for (sorry dont mean to sound rude i just want to prove my point of it being a real thompson)

Last edited by eeklun01; 12-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.