Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Poor Customer Support from Rock River (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/poor-customer-support-rock-river-74400/)

Flint Rock 10-16-2012 01:57 AM

Poor Customer Support from Rock River

This weekend I had a chance to attend a class with Frank Proctor, www.wayofthegun.us I must say that Frank is the finest instructor I have ever had. He is also willing to travel around the country to any range that will host him. Enough said about Frank, this post is about my Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2. About 100 rounds into the class my bolt refused to go into battery and I was forced to switch guns. At lunch I had a chance to break down the Rock River to see what the problem was. Well, a tee tiny piece of the buffer tube had snapped off and allowed the buffer retaining pin and spring to move upward and freeze up the bolt carrier. Once I got the rifle home I disassembled the gun and filed just enough off the buffer tube so that I could screw it one more turn into the lower receiver. That made up for the small piece that snapped off. I called Rock River and asked them to send me the $4 worth of parts under warranty. They said no. They want me to pay to ship the rifle back so they can put $4 worth of parts in it. Rock River claims a lifetime warranty, but they aren't stepping up for a $4 fix. I could see their point if I was wanting a new chrome bolt, but $4 worth of small parts! Come on man!

USEBOTHHANDS 10-16-2012 02:31 AM

you need to speak to a supervisor. don't let that s!-!it slide.

mountainman13 10-16-2012 02:49 AM

If you took a file to the tube you are sol if you ship the rifle. You have "modified" it which voids the warranty. Sorry
You can spend the time and money to ship it but if they won't pony up a $4 part they will refuse your warranty if they notice what you did.
Best of luck to you. I recommend just buying the parts yourself.

willfully armed 10-16-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 978274)
If you took a file to the tube you are sol if you ship the rifle. You have "modified" it which voids the warranty. Sorry
You can spend the time and money to ship it but if they won't pony up a $4 part they will refuse your warranty if they notice what you did.
Best of luck to you. I recommend just buying the parts yourself.

Exactly.

So, where's that $4 buffer tube?

mountainman13 10-16-2012 12:10 PM

Yeah good luck on that. Lol

Flint Rock 10-16-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 978417)
Exactly.

So, where's that $4 buffer tube?

The buffer retaining pin and spring is about $4. I don't need a new buffer tube. The filing that seems to cause some people concern is about 3 strokes with a fine flat file. That's all it takes to be able to to complete one more turn of the buffer tube. After talking with others in my department, I found out three others had had the same thing happen at one time or another. Two performed the same fix as me without any issues. One paid a local gunsmith, to do the same thing!
I have spare parts and tools to be able to fix my AR as needed. That said, I expect Rock River to work with a customer to solve issues. Mailing me $4 worth of small parts is not asking too much. There cost of those parts is probably half that. Rock River pays the postage to mail me full color catalogs every year wanting me to buy a new gun, but won't buy a stamp to take care of an "old" gun:confused:.

Vincine 10-16-2012 01:34 PM

I would send the Rock River CEO a printout of this thread.

JonM 10-16-2012 01:45 PM

Ive got some rock river stuff. Its nothing i would run hard and put away wet. I like their accuracy builds. I dont use my rra guns in any hard and fast fashion.

Different companies have different ways of doing things. Some will just send you what you need (rare) others want you to return the gun and you pay both ways. Others split the cost some pay both ways (rare).

Looking at return and warranty policies are important if its something that matters to you.

silverado113 10-16-2012 01:52 PM

I'm literally down the street from Rock River, I have a dealer direct account and I still can't get answers from them. Good luck, they definitely lack good customer service.

treehugger49 10-16-2012 07:43 PM

Sounds like you got an entry-level telephone answerer rather than a customer service representative.

I have a RRA Entry Tactical that I've been very pleased with, and haven't found the need to deal with their customer service.

Too bad you didn't get some reasonable effort from them. They have probably lost 100 times the minor expense to them of serving you from people that have and will read this thread.

Vincine has the right idea. Be sure someone higher up at RRA sees this thread.

And be sure to give them credit here if they step up and make it right, too.