Polymer vs. 7075-T6 Alloy stripped lowers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer vs. 7075-T6 Alloy stripped lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default Polymer vs. 7075-T6 Alloy stripped lowers

Well, I'm squarely in the "buy a milspec 7075-T6 alloy lower" camp though I know many people like to try out polymer lowers. But I just don't see the advantage of polymer. Weight or price (since if you catch a sale there are $50-75 milspec stripped lowers.) Also no one has been able to prove their polymer lower is stronger than 7075-T6 alloy.

Comments are welcome...

Of course many vendors and polymer fans claim the polymer lower will save you a pound of weight or 1/2 pound but when you compare the weight of stripped lowers there isn't much difference. (Larger differences tend to be complete lowers somehow fudged toward a big polymer weight savings. Heavier stock, heavier buffer, BAD lever, etc. added to the alloy lower.)

Approximate stripped lower weights:

8.5 oz ... Milspec 7075-T6 alloy
8.0 oz ... ATI Omni hybrid (fiberglass with zinc inserts)
6.8 oz ... Amalgamated Ti titanium
5.9 oz ... Mag Tactical (proprietary alloy)
5.5 oz ... Generic magnesium alloy
4.5 oz ... Bushmaster Carbon-15
4.5 oz ... New Frontier LW-15

For a 4 ounce or less savings toward the rear of the rifle where there's little impact I just can't see taking a chance on polymer, maybe there are good ones but for hard use I don't trust their durability.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-06-2014 at 12:49 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

call me old-fashioned or whatever, but it took me long enough to come to terms with polymer pistols!

while polymer lowers may work and work just fine, i just can't seem to get to the point i would have confidence in them for the long term usage as being able to handle the abuse an alloy lower could.

that is strictly a personal opinion and nothing more. i have no proof or evidence to support my opinions on this.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Even IF i'm 70-80 years old.. holding or carrying an extra 4oz, i won't notice the differences.
My local LGS, New Frontier Armory manufactured those polymers and i never heard anything bad about them. Good company to deal with, best prices and best customer service in town. But still, polymer lower isn't my cup of tea.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Mde

I like my alloy lower, only because I previously owned a new frontier lower and it kind of had a cheap feel in my opinion. I'd say its lighter weight, really just a personal choice

Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Well, I like light weight and 4 ounces, though it doesn't seem like much, is the weight of an Aimpoint Micro with mount.

If it were possible to make the polymer lower as durable as forged aluminum, I'd be all over it. In real world, non-SHTF fantasy usage, so long as you don't abuse it or assemble it incorrectly (and those are big if's), a polymer lower should work just fine.

If you put steel inserts into the pin holes and some sort of steel insert into the back of the stock where the buffer tube assembly lives, then you might have something. I'm guessing that something that's properly built of polymer (with reinforcing steel inserts) will weigh nearly as much as the forged aluminum lower. The polymer Bulgarian AK "waffle" magazines are a good example of this. They're just as durable as the steel magazines, but they also weigh nearly as much.

The only significant weight savings to be had in the AR platform is the barrel and bolt carrier. By shaving weight off of a variety of parts, if you do it with enough parts, you could lose an extra pound or so off the weight of a stock lightweight AR-15 but that's about it.

If they can nickel boron line cobalt alloy barrels, then perhaps you could lose another pound of weight. After that, you're reaching the design and materials science limit with respect to weight.

A 4 pound carbine is entirely possible, but you're going to give up some things for that.

If you put the recoil spring behind the charging handle or in front of it, eliminate the buffer assembly, use a carbon fiber upper receiver and polymer lower, use a folding aluminum front sight (or no front sight), lose about half the mass of the bolt carrier, and replace the steel barrel with a cobalt alloy, then you could make a sub 4 pound carbine. This carbine would cost about 2K-2.5K, about half of which would be the expense of making the barrel, but you could, theoretically, have a full up weight (with optic, white light, and loaded 30 round PMAG) of 5 pounds.

That'd be pushing engineering and materials to the current limit.

I'm currently waiting for the ICE-15, but Rick Crommett hasn't found a manufacturer yet. If/when he does, I will be one of his first customers.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

You don't get to a 4 lb gun safely by making 1 lb weight reductions. You get to 4 lb by losing a few grams here, an ounce there. Really, I don't see the point of a 4 lb combat rifle. At some point you are going to have men in hand to hand combat. A 4 lb plastic rifle only gives the soldier one option, attempt to run the enemy through with the barrel. I hope no one has to block a wild swing of a knife with a 4 lb rifle.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Liked 2397 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 539

The biggest advantage if a polymer lower is manufacturing cost. The folks who benefit most are the manufacturers. The material costs less, the machining cost and anodizing cost is reduced or done away with in some stages. Then the final product is sold for a little less than or sometimes as much as an aluminum receiver.

Variety is probably the only advantage for the consumer. The confusion and competition may help keep the prices of aluminum lowers competitive when the market isn't nuts.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #8

Liked 400 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Milspec aluminum all the way, and billet if I get that choice!

That said I do have a polymer lower on a purpose built 22lr AR. Its solid and works well, just not a combat rifle....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #9

Liked 400 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Milspec aluminum all the way, and billet if I get that choice!

That said I do have a polymer lower on a purpose built 22lr AR. Its solid and works well, just not a combat rifle....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The biggest advantage if a polymer lower is manufacturing cost. The folks who benefit most are the manufacturers. The material costs less, the machining cost and anodizing cost is reduced or done away with in some stages. Then the final product is sold for a little less than or sometimes as much as an aluminum receiver...
I agree. And an ideal way to find out firsthand would be finishing an 80% lower, which would be a heck of a lot easier if it's polymer. Just imagine the difference in effort roughing out an unbroached magwell - alloy vs. polymer! It is amazing that a finished alloy lower can be sold for $50 but not something manufacturers enjoy doing. They surely would rather make a greater profit selling polymer receivers.

We know polymer works in some firearms that were designed for it but when it comes to the AR, I'll use receivers made of the materials it was designed for.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

SSGN_Doc Likes This