Polymer lowers - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm sorry but I just can't leave this alone. I've been thinking about these
composite lowers and, the more I think about the "attributes" these guys are touting the more I find myself scratching my head.

SINCE WHEN has physical flexability been a good quality in a gun? When they crushed the aluminum lower in that video, the take down pin snapped. That's a lot of force transfered to that pin. On the composit lower the take down pin did not break even with all that flexing. They would probably tell you that, that part of the structure didn't flex. I would bet that the holes in the take down pin embossments deformed. Which I don't see as a positive attribute. If someone here has a different opinion I would like to hear it. If I'm off base please let me know.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 03-12-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #32

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

One of my buddies owns an ar with the polymer lower, i strongly dislike it. Feels like a toy. Just my thoughts.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #33

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

I live in Vegas and have handled these from them. They are nice. Would be a good backup for the field . I wouldn't put it on my defense weapon, but for $99 bucks it's worth hiding in with your extras.

My biggest dislike, is that the internals are polymer also..

But like I said, as a SHTF backup $99 is a weekends ammo money..

Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Anyone who has seen me post about these knows how much I dislike them. Ts not really the lowers I dislike, they have their place, but it's the guys recommending them to first time builders with no idea which was is up and other guys claiming they are just as good as an aluminum lower.

For $99 you can get a complete lower. While I wouldn't bet anything on these lowers, for THAT low of a price I would consider getting one for the SOLE purpose of breathing the **** of of it for fun. See what it can take, do some crazy ****, and if and when it breaks I am only out a single Benjamin.

Use them like that, and I approve. Just don't go using them as a base for a rifle you may have to rely on.

Hell, I may get one and attempt to build the cheapest AR I possibly can, just for the fun of it.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post

Hell, I may get one and attempt to build the cheapest AR I possibly can, just for the fun of it.
Well when you get ready to build your $500.00 AR-15 you can start here ( http://www.vulcanarmament.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=18&idp=1&his=0|1&cart_id= 2565307.10152 )with a poly lower priced at a scary 50 bones. Always wear your safety glasses

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #36

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Well when you get ready to build your $500.00 AR-15 you can start here ( http://www.vulcanarmament.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=18&idp=1&his=0|1&cart_id= 2565307.10152 )with a poly lower priced at a scary 50 bones. Always wear your safety glasses
Joebob says howdy and he'll see that price and include a complete lower assembly straight from Mattel for wun hunnert bucks.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NFA-LW15BLK

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp
I live in Vegas and have handled these from them. They are nice. Would be a good backup for the field . I wouldn't put it on my defense weapon, but for $99 bucks it's worth hiding in with your extras.

My biggest dislike, is that the internals are polymer also..

But like I said, as a SHTF backup $99 is a weekends ammo money..
Same here. I do live in Vegas. My nearest LGS is the New Frontier Armory. Their lower polymer receiver has internal polymer too. I wish the internal parts arent. All i can say.. is alumunium too heavy these days?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Joebob says howdy and he'll see that price and include a complete lower assembly straight from Mattel for wun hunnert bucks.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NFA-LW15BLK
Holy hell. now ive seen it all. The comment about replacing the poly takedown pins (WTF!) with steel ones makes me wonder how much plastic is in the fire control. Maybe they shaved some weight by having a plastic hammer...

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #39

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Not so much saving weight as saving $$$! Bth in raw materials and productions costs.

Poly <<< Any metal