Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   polymer lower receiver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/polymer-lower-receiver-96367/)

jlee0812 09-01-2013 02:58 PM

polymer lower receiver

anyone have any experience with these? I was looking at them online and just kinda curious

JohnJak 09-01-2013 03:01 PM

Purest s will have nothing to do with them.

I have 2 and never had a problem with them.

MisterMcCool 09-01-2013 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a carbon 15. Works great for 5.56/.223. I haven't built a large caliber, polymer.

ScottA 09-01-2013 03:41 PM

I had a Plum Crazy poly lower. I didn't have any problems with it, but I did sell it during the craze and more than paid for my build on a standard lower.

sweeper22 09-01-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlee0812 (Post 1353912)
anyone have any experience with these? I was looking at them online and just kinda curious

If the build comes together okay, they can be fine. I've had some. I actually still have a couple. But the plastic can stretch/tear/split when hammering in a roll pin. I know this, because I've had it happen. And then your $50-100 polymer lower evolves into a conversation piece about your poor taste. I've also seen some issues (other folks' builds) with mags either not releasing or locking up properly.

So I have a pretty limited level of experience, and yet have seen a high percentage of problems. I will never buy another polymer lower myself. They can in fact be fine. But there are too many potential issues, and too many reasons to build on aluminum instead.

BTW- NFA is a better option than ATI in my opinion, but I've seen problems with each. The ATI poly lowers are actually finished nicer than NFA, but they're absolute junk. Neither makes sense when you can get outstanding aluminum lower for $90-180...including trendy name brands, fancy finishes, and billet.

JonM 09-01-2013 04:01 PM

its not about purity ;)

some have had problems and almost all companies that make them have reported issues with them. enough so that im not convinced the tech has advanced enough for them to be durable or reliable as a shtf gun, but should serve fine as a range or plinking type application.

i also dont think its enough of a price gap or weight gap to warrant dealing with the liekly issues that crop up with the things. i would rather spend a few more dollars and not worry about such issues.

Overkill0084 09-01-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1353981)
its not about purity ;)

some have had problems and almost all companies that make them have reported issues with them. enough so that im not convinced the tech has advanced enough for them to be durable or reliable as a shtf gun, but should serve fine as a range or plinking type application.
i also dont think its enough of a price gap or weight gap to warrant dealing with the liekly issues that crop up with the things. i would rather spend a few more dollars and not worry about such issues.

+1
$30 saved by getting a polymer lower seems like false economy when looking at the total cost of a rifle build.

Quentin 09-01-2013 07:27 PM

Since the lower is the serialized part of the AR and thus considered the "firearm", I'm not willing to take a chance on polymer. I know it's proven on the Glock but the AR is not a Glock.

aandabooks 09-01-2013 07:43 PM

I've been seeing them for under $50 again. Not interested in building an AR right now but have been thinking about buying a couple and putting them away for the next drought/supply crunch.

jlee0812 09-01-2013 09:07 PM

All good replies... I was just wondering... I was reading about some fitting issues and longevity problems about them...