Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Well here's a few minutes of googling second hand images. Can't speak for authenticity but it isn't pretty. No doubt you can find broken 7075 lowers too.

PlumCrazy lower

PlumCrazy FCG

PlumCrazy lower

Bushmaster Carbon-15

Vulcan polymer lower

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/THEPATRIOT-X/cavarmslower4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t%3D185040&h=768&w=1024&sz=47&tbnid =HlRo-PfWqGQoHM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=129&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbroken%2Bpolymer%2Blower%26tbm%3Disch %26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=broken+polymer+lower&usg=__cYC uVIhPKmFmMg49iTqvxp6CwZY=&docid=xaeEJsDJMMSwjM&sa= X&ei=jC0gUfz5Je7hiwLm6YG4Dg&ved=0CFAQ9QEwBg&dur=40 20
Cavalry Arms lower

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-17-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #82
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Man those look nasty. Were there any accompanying stories with them as to how they happened or what their owners used them for?

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #83

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

I just googled images of broken polymer receivers. Sometimes you can get to an original thread as well but I didn't put much time into this. I would suspect many of the failures are caused by mortaring.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 451 Times on 305 Posts

Thanks guys I think I'm going to wait. It wouldn't be my first ar but I know it will get shot a lot. Was only considering it because I did find like 5 here at my local gun store. and I do live in California so we know the concerns about all that!!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #85

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
^^ that's the kind of info I dislike. No offense to you M4, but the whole "I've heard" "I read" "my uncle's cousin's cat's F@#K buddies 3rd kittens little sister said" and so forth. This kind of question really is wanting factual info. It's the same problem I've run into. Very few people answer it from a factual basis. Quentin, while using excellent data, gives the best perspective from a non-owner. Polyman says he's beat the dogchit outta his and never had an issue. But the continuation of the "I heard" or "I read" myths from the internet do nothing but confuse those looking for real data. Like when people say steel case ammo shoots "dirty." It's the same friggin thing. The only difference is the casing, when steel, doesn't expand like brass and allows the residue's to flow past the shell and back into the chamber, hence causing quicker and thicker buildup, which is perceived as "dirtier" by some folks. It's not the round is dirty, it's the package it's in isn't as functional
Patton,
I have had a "polymer" lower and upper combo, and here is what I ended up with: the receiver broke when I put a GI mag in it. I didn't risk the upper, so I took a sledgehammer to it so no one else would try to use it. It was a Vulcan set, and I have read in many places since they are the kind of weapon that people say do not buy under any circumstance. Like there are teir 1 rifles, which include Colt, DD, Noveske, and other brands you could take out of the box, shoot some oil in, and you are ready for SHTF, no excuses. Teir 2 you might give a once over before being ready to shoot, but should still be pretty reliable. Teir 3 you need to break it down and look it over thoroughly before shooting, but still should be ok. Then there are those if you are in an apocolypse, you take what you can get. Vulcan falls at the bottom of that list.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #86

Well that definitely sucked. I've put almost 100 rounds through the one I just put together using an NFA lower and Spikes upper. I just got the new JP trigger yellow spring reduced trigger pull set from Brownells on Saturday. I'll have to install it and go back to the range.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #87

Quote:
Well that definitely sucked. I've put almost 100 rounds through the one I just put together using an NFA lower and Spikes upper. I just got the new JP trigger yellow spring reduced trigger pull set from Brownells on Saturday. I'll have to install it and go back to the range.
Yeah, I had the worst of the worst. I am not totally anti-polymer, I just know enough now to be more careful.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #88

Unless you are familiar with the manufacturer, I would equate polymer with plastic.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #89

That is the kinda info I've been on the hunt for. First hand experiences, be they good or bad to kinda guide me in what "could" go wrong. At almost 100 rounds, I took it down and inspected it like it was the importance of a nuclear weapon, in all crooks and cracks, corners and shadows. Check it again after the next 100 and so forth until I'm sure.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #90

Quote:
That is the kinda info I've been on the hunt for. First hand experiences, be they good or bad to kinda guide me in what "could" go wrong. At almost 100 rounds, I took it down and inspected it like it was the importance of a nuclear weapon, in all crooks and cracks, corners and shadows. Check it again after the next 100 and so forth until I'm sure.
Might I suggest you not take the fcg down unless you have a specific reason? Seems to me I remember seeing a warning on a friends C15 regarding the pin holes widening with too many times removing the pins.