Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Well there's a bunch of polys available ! And aluminum if your willing to pay 300 for one . Just two months ago I paid 110 for a PSA aluminum lower . Check your gun auctions plenty of polys. For about 120 and I believe poly will be the future no reason not to. NASA is even making their tools out of poly carbon now
If it were really carbon fiber or some variant, it might be strong enough to give me comfort, but so many billy-jo-bob setups are out there making the stuff I am concerned some of them are just abs plastic someone found a way to produce cheap and quick by melting pvc pipe out of their mom's basement, without regard to the safety of the end user. Actual carbon fiber is stronger than steel, but is a buggar to work with, which is why it is so effing expensive.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #52

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

GP, there's no way I could recommend these things when 7075 is readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Unfortunately, nothing is readily available since Obama started this latest gun grab attempt.
C'mon, that thing at the top wasn't my quote!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #53

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Hey Fsted

I too have been like everyone else about the poly lowers , but at a 100 dollars I bought the FMK it has a lifetime warranty , and the say its true carbon fiber I don't see the risk and all the big nagativity about them . When it's all Said and done its your money . If its a piece of crap it's only. 100 dollar mistake lord know ive made bigger . You have to be willing to try something new IMHO

Last edited by Tenderribbs; 02-13-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #54
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrentzero View Post
General- I did the backfil on it.
Fine job. Has that kinda Godfather Soprano's look to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a
If it were really carbon fiber or some variant, it might be strong enough to give me comfort, but so many billy-jo-bob setups are out there making the stuff I am concerned some of them are just abs plastic someone found a way to produce cheap and quick by melting pvc pipe out of their mom's basement, without regard to the safety of the end user. Actual carbon fiber is stronger than steel, but is a buggar to work with, which is why it is so effing expensive.
Yea, Carbon Fiber is a real biatch to work with. But the flip side is, it's stronger than steel when done right. I see your concerns over the faked stuff where someone could make a far inferior product. But buying new from a reputable source should eliminate that.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #55

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post

Well there's a bunch of polys available ! And aluminum if your willing to pay 300 for one . Just two months ago I paid 110 for a PSA aluminum lower . Check your gun auctions plenty of polys. For about 120 and I believe poly will be the future no reason not to. NASA is even making their tools out of poly carbon now
The lower of the future for sure. As more of the ar public discovers them I wouldnt be surprised if the major players start turning them out. Look at the hand gun market.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You all are talking about my fav LGS product. .
Love NFA.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #57

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately I had to buy a ATI omni poly lower, got a decent review from the Firearms Blog...got it at a gouged price (by the way I'm starting to hate a lot of these greedy bastards on Gunbroker and ARM List) Now i haven't fired it, but Im impressed and skeptical, yes it's light, but at the same time it feels nice but I swapped an A2 stock on it. After my initial examine it might be ok. Mag well is a little tight I've tried several different mags in the lock in, but don't drop when u release it, not big deal. With that I decided it would make a lovely dedicated 22, so I bought a basic chiappa m4-22 upper which is also imported by ATI and it's more than ideal for plinking ligh, comes light easy to swing and aim.. But I haven't fired it yet. Yes they're poly, but time will tell, guys wanna bash em cause they've busted theirs by slamming the stock on to rock or something in that fashion. I wouldn't think to pop a 308 upper on, but a standard 5.56 lightweight CAR upper would be fine. Listen in this ridiculous craze the whole nation is seeing its not time to be judgmental on every new idea....I'll update you guys once I hit the range

P.S the upper came with 2 28rd mags so I'm happy with the setup so far

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ATI_Omni_AR15_lower_13.jpg

Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #58

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am looking for a 5.56/.233 upper, but that's a pipe dream right now with everyone trying to rip each other off...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #59

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Some years ago there was a shop in Parker, Az. that was putting AR-15s together on Poly Lowers. The Lowers were molded up the road in Lake Havasu, Az. I don't recall the name of the company. Does anyone know if the company is in business today?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #60

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Some years ago there was a shop in Parker, Az. that was putting AR-15s together on Poly Lowers. The Lowers were molded up the road in Lake Havasu, Az. I don't recall the name of the company. Does anyone know if the company is in business today?
Well if it was Bushamster or earlier the answer is no (at least in LHC, AZ). Was this thing roll marker Carbon-15?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.