Polymer lower? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its a known weak point in the m16 platform. this comes straight from military design specs since single biggest difference between the A1 and A2 in the lower reciever itself is a reinforced lower reciever extension. even aluminum recievers break right at that point. most rifles in the hands of your typical civilian user doesnt put much stress or high round counts and almost none get shot enough to wear a barrel out.

it doesnt mean a poly reciever is going to shatter into dust just picking one up, it means its got a greater chance of failing at that point than an aluminum one. im not interested in making my firearms more delicate

when you run a gun hard in a ohsht type environment or train for ohsht your going to be hitting the deck hard often landing on your weapon. using it for a club in some cases etc.

just riding around in the back of your truck plinking with a poly reciever doesnt really stress a gun much.

you can do what ya want im not invested in what you carry or like as a firearm but you wont ever never see me replacing a solid aluminum lower for a cheap poly plastic one to shave a ounce of fat off the gun. ar15 are already delicate guns that dont take to being abused well. i see no sense in making them weaker than they are.
OK. Now, I want you to read this as a serious comment, even to a moderator, as what I'm looking for here is proof, evidence, a tangible. I read your post, at least three times, and what I see is you telling me the platform had a weakness in the Gov't issued model that was corrected. As such, it doesn't really relate all to well to the polymer as the gov't doesn't use polymer. I get what you are saying about the rough and tumble life of a USGI's weapon....I do. However, that is an issue that was had with the platform, not the polymer over the typical aluminum. Yes, it may likely be a weak point, however what I'm looking to see is tangible proof. I want to hear that Bob had a polymer lower than failed. Joe's melted down. Chris's turned into dust....you get what i'm getting at? I want to see the failure as what happened and then understand why. Again, I understand a shortcoming of the 1rst gen platform, I do. However I want to see real life consumer used failures to better grasp what could be better, and what could be worse. That's just me. I look at how things work, then I ponder how to improve or correct them. Not that I ever will, I'm not an engineer. But it's just the way my brain works.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

its a known weak point in the m16 platform. this comes straight from military design specs since single biggest difference between the A1 and A2 in the lower reciever itself is a reinforced lower reciever extension. even aluminum recievers break right at that point. most rifles in the hands of your typical civilian user doesnt put much stress or high round counts and almost none get shot enough to wear a barrel out.

it doesnt mean a poly reciever is going to shatter into dust just picking one up, it means its got a greater chance of failing at that point than an aluminum one. im not interested in making my firearms more delicate

when you run a gun hard in a ohsht type environment or train for ohsht your going to be hitting the deck hard often landing on your weapon. using it for a club in some cases etc.

just riding around in the back of your truck plinking with a poly reciever doesnt really stress a gun much.

you can do what ya want im not invested in what you carry or like as a firearm but you wont ever never see me replacing a solid aluminum lower for a cheap poly plastic one to shave a ounce of fat off the gun. ar15 are already delicate guns that dont take to being abused well. i see no sense in making them weaker than they are.
Not trying to force my opinion on anyone, just trying to help. I only offered a legit account of how my rifles have held up. I assure you My 3 boys have dropped, thrown and abused my rifles for years with no detectable damage to the poly lower. My alum rifles, down to 2 , are dented, rusted and 1 of them has a small crack where a deep dent was hammered out with a wood block and a brass hammer. During gator season my two oldest spray the mud off of them and leave them in the boat. You're happy with your alum? Great , stick with it. I have worked the piss out of both , I have my favorite, poly. Hell I wish someone would figure out how to make a poly upper. keep in mind fellas, I'm not repeating something I read, this is my first hand experience, no assumptions, no hypothesis, real years of abuse. I appreciate difference of opinion as well as our right to personal preference, however,can you really knock it before YOU have actually tried it? (remember the hatred Glock faced with their "tupperware" guns?) I dare you to find 1 manufacturer that doesn't offer several poly models. Must be something to it,huh?
Food for thought.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #43

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like my NFA Lower just fine!
I like the look of aluminum more though, and it almost gives you a sense of durability and strength compared to polymer but I like it so far.

image-2018098486.jpg

Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #44

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrentzero View Post
I like my NFA Lower just fine!
I like the look of aluminum more though, and it almost gives you a sense of durability and strength compared to polymer but I like it so far.
Yea, I am a convert myself, my first poly lower I treated like crap because I didn't expect it to last. Once I found out I couldn't tear it up I began doing builds around poly only. I hope you get as many good years out of yours as I have.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
Not trying to force my opinion on anyone, just trying to help. I only offered a legit account of how my rifles have held up. I assure you My 3 boys have dropped, thrown and abused my rifles for years with no detectable damage to the poly lower. My alum rifles, down to 2 , are dented, rusted and 1 of them has a small crack where a deep dent was hammered out with a wood block and a brass hammer. During gator season my two oldest spray the mud off of them and leave them in the boat. You're happy with your alum? Great , stick with it. I have worked the piss out of both , I have my favorite, poly. Hell I wish someone would figure out how to make a poly upper. keep in mind fellas, I'm not repeating something I read, this is my first hand experience, no assumptions, no hypothesis, real years of abuse. I appreciate difference of opinion as well as our right to personal preference, however,can you really knock it before YOU have actually tried it? (remember the hatred Glock faced with their "tupperware" guns?) I dare you to find 1 manufacturer that doesn't offer several poly models. Must be something to it,huh?
Food for thought.
As thus, this is the one person who has applied what I asked which was tangible, first person experience with polymer. Now Quentin made some good points, and I take them into account. However, I still want to see someones failed poly. I have yet to see one as such.

And Revrent did you do the color backfill or did it arrive like that?

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #46

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
As thus, this is the one person who has applied what I asked which was tangible, first person experience with polymer. Now Quentin made some good points, and I take them into account. However, I still want to see someones failed poly. I have yet to see one as such.

And Revrent did you do the color backfill or did it arrive like that?
GP, the problem here is very few of us have the time or money to run torture tests on various types of rifles. Thus you're not likely to get many first hand reports here, and certainly not from me as I'm not in the market for a polymer lower.

I've seen lots of threads with pictures over the years of broken polymer lower receivers and it's almost always at the threaded area for the receiver extension as JonM said. Now I know these aren't normal times so people have to settle for what they can find but there's no way I could recommend these things when 7075 is readily available.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-13-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
GP, the problem here is very few of us have the time or money to run torture tests on various types of rifles. Thus you're not likely to get many first hand reports here, and certainly not from me as I'm not in the market for a polymer lower.

I've seen lots of threads with pictures over the years of broken polymer lower receivers and it's almost always at the threaded area for the receiver extension as JonM said. Now I know these aren't normal times so people have to settle for what they can find but there's no way I could recommend these things when 7075 is readily available.
I always got what you were saying. I guess, if I were to look anywhere, it'd be here or the ar15.com forum but I can't even get an account over there as I don't have a ISP email address so that basically bars me from joining. I do search threads for quite some time some days hunting for destruction pictures. Maybe one day i'll find one, maybe not. I will have to do something about the trigger though, as it feels like a 20# pull

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #48

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

General- I did the backfil on it.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #49

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
GP, there's no way I could recommend these things when 7075 is readily available.
Unfortunately, nothing is readily available since Obama started this latest gun grab attempt.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #50

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Unfortunately, nothing is readily available since Obama started this latest gun grab attempt.
Well there's a bunch of polys available ! And aluminum if your willing to pay 300 for one . Just two months ago I paid 110 for a PSA aluminum lower . Check your gun auctions plenty of polys. For about 120 and I believe poly will be the future no reason not to. NASA is even making their tools out of poly carbon now