Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

You should like Glock, I do and have three. Also three 1911s. Fine pistols. But I won't have a plum crazy on my ARs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

What was the issue with plum crazy? And could that have perhaps been remedied in a new method by NFA?

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #33

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
What was the issue with plum crazy? And could that have perhaps been remedied in a new method by NFA?
IIRC, there was a factory in Lake Havasu City, AZ around 2000 or so that made polymer lowers and complete ARs. Seems like their name was Professional Ordinance or something like that. They put out the Carbon-15 which soon acquired a bad reputation and they got in trouble finiancially. Around 2003 Bushmaster bought them, taking over the LHC plant and selling a new and improved Carbon-15. It soon after also got a lot of complaints but at least BM got rid of P.O's proprietary barrel and bolt. A couple years ago BM closed the LHC plant and moved C-15 manufacturing to their Windham, ME factory. Of course last year they shut that down and moved again to Ilion, NY. BM still sells the C-15 which may work now or may not. It seems hit or miss depending on who you talk to. So many questions...

A few years ago we hear of a company PlumCrazy which starts selling polymer lowers out of Lake Havasu City of all places. Hmmm??? What I remember about them initially was there were a bunch of rave reviews in all the gun rags (I remember an especially shameless shill review in Shotgun News a couple years ago). Then of course reports from folks who couldn't pass up a lower with LPK for $100+. Then what was really eyeopening was over time most of these folks quit bragging on their PlumCrazy and you'd even hear complaints here and there. Then they tried to change their name to PCF but soon after the company went bankrupt. Or did they? So many questions...

Then New Frontier/NFA of Las Vegas comes along and guess what - they're using the old PlumCrazy Lake Havasu City plant. They tout a Gen II model but who knows. Are they PlumCrazy rising like a Phoenix out of the ashes in the Arizona desert? So many questions...

There was really good company out of AZ called Cavalry Arms that sold an integrated lower/A1 stock. From all reports these things are strong but of course many folks want a collapsible stock. Cav Arms also went bankrupt but it was due to FFL violations not bad products. I understand a new company is selling the old Cav Arms lower now and it's quite good.

Bottom line, I think in normal times it's better to buy a milspec 7075-T6 lower and go from there. Right now times aren't normal so if desperate for a lower, maybe NFA is worth a try. And it seems to be an ideal lower for a .22lr upper. Otherwise, so many questions... That sums it up for me.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #34

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You should like Glock, I do and have three. Also three 1911s. Fine pistols. But I won't have a plum crazy on my ARs.
Have nothing bad to say about glock, i just don't like the long trigger pull or the way they fit my hand. Thousands of LEO and years of use don't lie. Good gun is is a good gun.
I am just a cocked and locked kinda guy.

Last edited by polyman69; 02-09-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
Have nothing bad to say about glock, i just don't like the long trigger pull or the way they fit my hand. Thousands of LEO and years of use don't lie. Good gun is is a good gun.
I am just a cocked and locked kinda guy.
Heard that. I do love to carry cocked and locked.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #36

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Ok guys thanks for all of your ideas and opinions on the matter . I think it was good debate thread on polys. I put in a bid for a FMK composite lower at gun brokers and won it for 110 bucks .Its a good looking lower clean and smooth surface . With that said I will be giving a field repot as soon as I can fine A bcg and lower parts kit to finish this build . Thanks for everyone's input

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Ok guys thanks for all of your ideas and opinions on the matter . I think it was good debate thread on polys. I put in a bid for a FMK composite lower at gun brokers and won it for 110 bucks .Its a good looking lower clean and smooth surface . With that said I will be giving a field repot as soon as I can fine A bcg and lower parts kit to finish this build . Thanks for everyone's input
I'm waiting on a Spikes upper to arrive tomorrow via fedex. I'ma slap it on a NFA poly lower and see how it all performs as a unit. I'll let you know how well that goes.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #38

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:

I'm waiting on a Spikes upper to arrive tomorrow via fedex. I'ma slap it on a NFA poly lower and see how it all performs as a unit. I'll let you know how well that goes.
Here's your range report, straight from the horses mouth. Thousands of rounds many years of abuse, and still rock solid. Congrats on your poly build, I assure you , you will be glad you bought it. I can hear it now " Damn, they were right, these things are great, wish I'da bought one years ago."

Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #39

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69

Here's your range report, straight from the horses mouth. Thousands of rounds many years of abuse, and still rock solid. Congrats on your poly build, I assure you , you will be glad you bought it. I can hear it now " Damn, they were right, these things are great, wish I'da bought one years ago."
Maybe I should get another....

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Now, what I want to see is how you came to that. Is this from something scientific or something you have seen or heard or just a theoretical opinion? And I ask that in all seriousness. I want to see one tested beyond abuse, but not some crackpot test that does things that no one would ever do in the first place.
its a known weak point in the m16 platform. this comes straight from military design specs since single biggest difference between the A1 and A2 in the lower reciever itself is a reinforced lower reciever extension. even aluminum recievers break right at that point. most rifles in the hands of your typical civilian user doesnt put much stress or high round counts and almost none get shot enough to wear a barrel out.

it doesnt mean a poly reciever is going to shatter into dust just picking one up, it means its got a greater chance of failing at that point than an aluminum one. im not interested in making my firearms more delicate

when you run a gun hard in a ohsht type environment or train for ohsht your going to be hitting the deck hard often landing on your weapon. using it for a club in some cases etc.

just riding around in the back of your truck plinking with a poly reciever doesnt really stress a gun much.

you can do what ya want im not invested in what you carry or like as a firearm but you wont ever never see me replacing a solid aluminum lower for a cheap poly plastic one to shave a ounce of fat off the gun. ar15 are already delicate guns that dont take to being abused well. i see no sense in making them weaker than they are.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Quentin Likes This